Membership Poll...How long is too long?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

At what point do you not come to Autocross Sunday because the total time commitment is too long?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:30 pm

4 hours on site
3%
5 hours on site
6%
6 hours on site
14%
7 hours on site
3%
8 hours on site
6%
9 hours on site
No votes
10 hours on site
No votes
Nothing will keep me away
53%
Let's go back to how it was
17%
Cut back to three runs to reduce the overall time commitment and keep the December format
No votes

Total votes: 36

Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Membership Poll...How long is too long?

Post by Anthony P. »

Just tossing out a wild idea which hasnt been thoroughly tested.

We could have 3 runs in the am for a lower cost and a second session in the afternoon like the practice or x runs for an additional cost. That way those competing wouldnt have to stay and those just wanting practice could come in the afternoon. As treasurer I would want the afternoon runs pre-paid without walk ups. As an event master I would want to limit those entries based on our average pre-reg numbers. As a timer/computer person I would be relieved not to have to track runs/cones in the PM groups
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Anthony Porta wrote:Just tossing out a wild idea which hasnt been thoroughly tested.

We could have 3 runs in the am for a lower cost and a second session in the afternoon like the practice or x runs for an additional cost. That way those competing wouldnt have to stay and those just wanting practice could come in the afternoon. As treasurer I would want the afternoon runs pre-paid without walk ups. As an event master I would want to limit those entries based on our average pre-reg numbers. As a timer/computer person I would be relieved not to have to track runs/cones in the PM groups
Seems like I saw a similar suggestion from a previous post. Not fully thought through, but separating serious competition from those looking for fun only seems seems like it may work. And if those fun runs have any value, giving them away under the December format makes zero sense. The idea of no walk-ups is unwise. While we may not be able to accommodate all walk-ups, prohibiting them is a death wish and will obviously lead to fewer attendees overall. So here's a re-post of something I suggested when the December format was originally suggested.
George Schilling wrote:
Whoa! Not that easy Anthony. Here are some of the changes I would suggest to make this work smoothly.

1. Require online registration to run in the morning groups so groups can be balanced in advance using actual numbers. Those who do not cancel by the close of registration will be charged and will not receive a refund or credit whether they attend or not. The early registration offer can go away as early registration would no longer be a factor. One exception - those competing for points who have did not register online can still compete subject to a $25 walk-up penalty. This will virtually eliminate walk-ups affecting the previously balanced groups.
2. Walk-up and X runs will run in the afternoon.
3. No-work X runs are no longer offered. X runs are still discounted to encourage afternoon participation.
4. Afternoon X runs and TO use a practice format. Time slips only. Same number of runs as morning groups. PM runs will be lowered to $30 encourage participation.
5. Onsite registration and tech hours will not change and may need to be extended to 1pm depending on anticipated attendance. Closing registration early would be a death knell for encouraging noobs and afternoon participation.
6. Requires two full sized pre-grids able to hold 36 cars each. Chevron style is more efficient but not required.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Paul Molina
Club: CASOC
Car#: 274

Post by Paul Molina »

Anthony Porta wrote:Just tossing out a wild idea which hasnt been thoroughly tested.

For myself just 3 competition runs wouldn't be worth it, even if it was a lower cost, if anything I would like to have more race runs on Sunday?
If I didn't do Saturday practice, then I would consider doing Sunday fun runs but for me I don't want to burn up a set of tires every 2 months
I liked December's format, get all the competition runs done first, with 2 grids and hot change over, and then open the course for fun runs in the afternoon.
Just my .02
Paul
Danielle Gilbert
Car#: 949

Post by Danielle Gilbert »

George Schilling wrote: If we cut back to three runs on Sunday so we could get you out earlier, would you consider attending? Or would you be more likely to attend with four runs delivered in a timely manner?
As a novice, realistically at least my first two runs will be pretty slow as I learn the course and practice my lines, braking plan, etc. So I'm happy to have four to have maybe one shot at a good run. :) That's why the practice in the morning/compete in the afternoon idea is so attractive to me, but I understand that it might not work for timing and other event management considerations.

It may not be true for everyone, but for me, driving to/from the event and going at all is the commitment, so I'd like to get the most I can from the day. So making it shorter so I could be done earlier actually makes it less attractive, since my return on the investment of both getting to/from the event and the opportunity cost (can't do anything else) is that much lower.