FSAE West Introduction Guide

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

FSAE West Introduction Guide

Post by Christine Grice »

This is a beginers guide to what the FSAE competiton is all about.

What is FSAE?
The Formula SAE ® Series competitions challenge teams of university undergraduate and graduate students to conceive, design, fabricate and compete with small, formula style, autocross racing cars. To give teams the maximum design flexibility and the freedom to express their creativity and imaginations there are very few restrictions on the overall vehicle design. Teams typically spend eight to twelve months designing, building, testing and preparing their vehicles before a competition. The competitions themselves give teams the chance to demonstrate and prove both their creativity and their engineering skills in comparison to teams from other universities around the world.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IlDP_Z1svg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List of Teams that are registered for FSAE West: http://www.sae.org/servlets/collegiateC ... N_NUM=null" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FSAE Vehicle Design Objectives
For the purpose of this competition, the students are to assume that a manufacturing firm has engaged them to design, fabricate and demonstrate a prototype car for evaluation as a production item. The intended sales market is the nonprofessional weekend autocross racer. Therefore, the car must have very high performance in terms of its acceleration, braking, and handling qualities. The car must be low in cost, easy to maintain, and reliable. It should accommodate drivers whose stature varies from a 5th percentile female to a 95th percentile male. In addition, the car’s marketability is enhanced by other factors such as aesthetics, comfort and use of common parts. The manufacturing firm is planning to produce four (4) cars per day for a limited production run and the prototype vehicle should actually cost below $25,000. The challenge to the design team is to develop a prototype car that best meets these goals and intents. Each design will be compared and judged with other competing designs to determine the best overall car.

What happens at a FSAE competition?
The teams compete for points in several static and dynamic events:
Static Events
Sales Presentation 75
Engineering Design 150
Cost Analysis 100
Dynamic Events
Acceleration 75
Skid-Pad 50
Autocross 150
Fuel Economy 50
Endurance 350
Total Points 1,000

Tech Inspection:
Part 1: Scrutineering. Make sure the cars comply with the rules, driver equipment check, and driver egress test (from fully race ready position to both feet on the ground in less than 5 seconds)
Part 2: Tilt Table. With driver in the car the car is tilted to 45° and check to make sure no liquids are leaking. Then the car is tilted to 60° to check roll stability, the car must not want to roll (simulates 1.7 g’s).
Part 3: Noise, Master Switch, and Brake Testing. The sound levels are checked at an RPM set by the engine being used and measured from ~20 inches behind the exhaust. Max dB is 110. Then they test to make sure the emergency kill switches work. Finally for the brake test they must start at a standstill, accelerate hard for a set distance and then mash on the brakes. All four wheels must lock up to pass.

Sales Presentation:
The objective of the presentation event is to evaluate the team’s ability to develop and deliver a comprehensive business case that will convince the executives of a manufacturing firm that the team’s design best meets the demands of the amateur, weekend, autocross/Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Solo II racing market and that it can be profitably manufactured and marketed.
The judges should be treated as if they were executives of the manufacturing firm. Teams should assume that the executives represent different areas of a corporate organization, including engineering, production, marketing and finance, and thus may not all be engineers. Presentations will be evaluated on the contents, organization and visual aids as well as the presenters’ delivery and the team’s response to questions. The presentation must relate to the car entered into the competition although the actual quality of the prototype itself will not be considered as part of the presentation judging.

Cost Presentation:
This event is comprised of two (2) parts:
Part 1: The preparation and submission of a written report (the “Cost Report”), which is to be sent to the Cost Judges prior to the competition.
Part 2: A discussion at the Competition with the Cost Judges around the team’s vehicle. This evaluates not only the cost of the car, but also the team’s ability to prepare accurate engineering and manufacturing cost estimates.

Engineering Design Presentation
Before the competition, teams must submit a design report and a spec sheet (http://www.sae.org/students/fsae-designspecs.xls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which is essentially a resume of their car contained within 4 pages and an excel sheet for the judges to prepare for live judging with. At competition the design presentation is where the judges ask questions about the car, design philosophy, why they chose what they chose, and general design knowledge that the team members should know from the design of the car. Teams are allowed to have design folders, computers, presentation boards and testing samples as aides for their design presentation. (This is the event that strikes fear in the hearts of all FSAE students because judges can be very harsh if you don’t know your stuff)

Acceleration:
Pretty self explanatory, from a standing start the cars must accelerate for 75m (82 yards). Regular autocross timing is used so reaction times do not matter. Two drivers from each team get to drive and each driver gets two runs. Points are calculated based on a formula and the team with the fastest time gets the most points.

Skid-Pad:
The skid-pad is two 50 ft (Internal Diameter) circles set up next to each other. For one run a driver must take two laps on the right side and then two laps on the left side. The second lap from each side is timed. Using these times lateral acceleration is calculated and used as the basis for points. Cones count for 0.25 seconds and any cone that is hit counts, regardless of which lap it was hit on. Going off course and incorrect lapping are automatic DNFs. Two drivers from each team get to drive and each driver gets two runs.

Autocross:
Same format as a local autocross, although the corners are much smaller and tighter. (keep speeds down because the cars have a tendency to break) Two drivers from each team get to drive and each driver gets two runs. Cones are worth 2 seconds, an off course (DNF) is given for a car that does not re-enter the course prior to where it left it or for a car that goes all four wheels off of the pavement. Only the fastest time for a car matters, regardless of the driver. Points are based on the fastest car’s time and also determine when the team will run during the endurance.

Endurance:
Uses a course that is similar to the autocross course except the start and finish lines are linked. Each team has two drivers, the first drier does the number of laps equivalent to approximately 11km (6.83 miles) which is typically 10 to 12 laps. Then they have a driver change and the second driver completes the same number of laps. The course will have up to 10 cars on it at a time. There are passing lanes that teams are flagged into if they are being caught by a faster car. This portion of the event uses Cal Club flaggers and autocross workers. This is the most stressful events for the cars, testing the design limits of the cars. In 2007 at FSAE West we pulled dead/broken cars off course with a golf cart until the golf cart went dead and we ended up with something like 12 dead cars on course at the end of the event. One car caught fire, several suspensions broke, and many cars succumbed to the Fontana heat. The endurance is always exciting and surprising. Points are awarded based on the total elapsed time for both drivers, plus penalties (2 sec for a cone, 20 sec for an off course) minus the driver change time.

Fuel Economy:
The fuel economy of the cars is tested during the endurance event. Before the endurance the cars are filled up to a fill line. After they finish the endurance they return to measure how much fuel it takes to fill the car back up to that fill line. The car with the best fuel economy gets the most points. (To score in this event they must first finish the endurance)

As a CSCC Volunteer What Do I do?
CSCC is in charge of the people that work the dynamic events. The job is almost identical to working course at our local autocrosses. We need to keep track of cones and off courses. You can volunteer for one day or both days of dynamic events. If you are saying to yourself “darn, I can’t take a day off of work for Friday but I really want to go” that’s OK, volunteer for Saturday only. The schedule is included below. Friday is acceleration and skid-pad in the morning and autocross in the afternoon. Saturday is the endurance. As a volunteer you get free lunch, a free t-shirt, a free practice later in the year and a front row seat to watch some very unique cars race around the course.

To Volunteer please contact John Stewart stewartjohnm at netscape.net or Me (Christine Berry) racechicksolo2 at gmail.com
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=158&p=1855#p1855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FSAE West Schedule

Tuesday, June 24
10:00 am - 4:00pm Set-up day - NO TEAMS ALLOWED
Crated vehicles can be accepted at the track ONLY on this day during this timeframe
Wednesday, June 25
6:00 am Site Opens to Volunteer Workers
6:30 am Volunteer Registration Opens
8:00 am Site Opens for Students
8:00 am Student Registration Opens - Garage #3 (G3)
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch Break
3:00 pm Technical Inspectors Meeting
4:00 pm Technical Inspection Opens
5:00 pm Student Registration Closes
5:00 pm Student Team Captains Meeting - Mandatory in Garage #2 (G2) Driver Meeting Room
7:00 pm Technical Inspection Closes
7:00 - 9:00 pm Industry - Faculty Advisors Reception (By Invitation)
8:00 pm Official closing of the site - EVERYONE MUST BE OFF-SITE
Thursday, June 26
7:00 am Site Opens For Students
7:30 am Brake, Noise and Practice Drivers Meeting - Mandatory in G2 Driver Meeting Room
8:00 am Design, Cost and Presentation Judges Meeting, G2
8:00 am Student Late Registration Opens - G3
8:00 am Technical Inspection, Fuel, Weighing and Tilt Open
9:00 am Design, Cost and Presentation Events Open
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch Break
4:00 pm Design, Cost and Presentation Events Close
4:00 pm Student Late Registration Closes
5:00 pm Acceleration & Skid Pad Drivers Meeting - Mandatory in G2 Driver Meeting Room
5:00 pm Technical Inspection, Fuel Weighing and Tilt Close
5:00 pm Design Semi-Finalists Announced
5:30 pm Design Semi-Finals (limited to 10 members per Team)
Friday, June 27
7:00 am Site Opens for Students
7:30 am Acceleration & Skid Pad Course Worker Safety Briefing - On track (Mandatory)
8:00 am Acceleration Event Opens
8:00 am Skid Pad Event Opens
9:00 am - 4:00 pm Design Judging Feedback
10:00 am - 2:00 pm Cost Judging Feedback
11:30 am Acceleration Event Closes
11:30 am Skid Pad Event Closes
11:30 - 12:45 pm Lunch Break Sponsored by Honda
12:15 - 12:45 pm Drivers Meeting for Autocross Event - Mandatory in G2 Driver Meeting Room
12:45 - 1:15 pm Autocross Course Open for Walk - Mandatory for Drivers - Meet at Autocross Course
1:00 pm Autocross Course Worker Safety Briefing - On track
1:30 pm Autocross Event Opens
4:30 pm Autocross Event Closes
5:00 pm Drivers Meeting for Endurance Events - Mandatory in G2 Driver Meeting Room
6:00 pm Group Photo (tentative) - Oval Start/Finish
Saturday, June 28
7:00 am Site Opens for Students
8:00 am Endurance Course Worker Briefing - On track (Mandatory)
8:00 - 8:45 am Endurance Course Open for Walk - Mandatory for Drivers - Meet at Endurance Course
9:00 am Endurance Event Opens
10:00 am - 2:00 pm Cost Judging Feedback
~3:00 pm Endurance Event Closes
3:00 pm Design Finals - Garage Area
6:00 pm Awards Ceremony - Cooper Tires Stage
Last edited by Christine Grice on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Re: FSAE West Introduction Guide

~Christine Grice
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Nice Christine. Thanks for taking the time to post.

If you haven't volunteered for this yet, this is an experience you will not regret. Not only will you be donating you time for a good cause, I guaranteed to have a great time. Best of all, you'll be able to meet new friends, interact with other autoxer's who may share your passion but run in a different class, and see some terrific and some no so terriific cars form all over the world. And you get Solo Bucks for that can be used for a future practice or championship.

So don't hesitate, contact Gail Jardine and let her know you'll be coming.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
John Fendel
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

I will be going out to Cal Speedway on Thursday, June 26, around noon to layout the autocross/endurance course for the Friday competition. I could use the help of two or three people for the course construction. If you are available for a few hours on Thursday afternoon, please let me know. You can respond here or talk to me at the next event.
Thanks.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Is the AutoX new this year? Or have I just not been paying attention.

I like the break down of scoring. I never knew the enduro was worth so much. I always thought the engineering reviews had more bias in the scoring.

Jay W
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Is the AutoX new this year? Or have I just not been paying attention.

I like the break down of scoring. I never knew the enduro was worth so much. I always thought the engineering reviews had more bias in the scoring.

Jay W
what it looks like on paper is worth less than how it really works
it's only paranoia if your wrong
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Is the AutoX new this year? Or have I just not been paying attention.

Jay W
They have had an autocross as long as I can remember.

The hard part about the enduro being worth so many points is that the percentage of teams that actually finish is very low. There is an extreme give and take between being light (a major design judging aspect) and being reliable. Also, the Fontana heat wreaks havoc on those teams not expecting it. The key to winning is to finish all of the events

~Christine Grice
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

Christine Berry wrote: The hard part about the enduro being worth so many points is that the percentage of teams that actually finish is very low. There is an extreme give and take between being light (a major design judging aspect) and being reliable. Also, the Fontana heat wreaks havoc on those teams not expecting it. The key to winning is to finish all of the events

:lol: don't remember which car it was last year, south korea?, but it was breaking down almost every lap at the end of the day. we felt bad for them, but couldn't stop laughing every time it tried to go by
it's only paranoia if your wrong
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Bump

We really need more volunteers for Saturday to work the endurance.
Last edited by Christine Grice on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Christine Grice
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

John Fendel wrote:I will be going out to Cal Speedway on Thursday, June 26, around noon to layout the autocross/endurance course for the Friday competition. I could use the help of two or three people for the course construction. If you are available for a few hours on Thursday afternoon, please let me know. You can respond here or talk to me at the next event.
Thanks.
I'll be there to set up timing, but can probably help with the course some, too.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Some Pictures from last years FSAE West:

Bob Jardine doing a fabulous job of putting out a small problem

Lined up for the endurance

Cal Poly Pomona

Somethings not quite right

Art Rinner as starter

And I think my favorite that doesn't have a picture goes like this:
Car goes by spitting out some water
Car goes by spitting out water
Car goes by not spitting out water
Car goes by spitting out blue smoke
Car does not come by again....
~Christine Grice
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Bump!

:gpower:
Tech starts Wed
Static Events Thurs
And Dynamic events Fri and Sat
:gpower:

There will be a lot of college students getting no sleep this weekend putting the finishing touches on their cars. :D
~Christine Grice
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Never know what you might see. We had the redbull girls walking around handing out red bulls last year

It was pretty hot in 2006 so in 2007 some of the teams brought pools to keep them cool, although it ended up being cooler in 2007
~Christine Grice
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Here are some of the notes that one of the students took during the 2007 endurance. Quite funny sometimes.

-----------------------------------------------
A&M passes UW
A&M on Oklahoma
Mich gaining
Mich spins
Oklahoma passes A&M
Mich passes Shiba-Ura
CSUN on track
UIUC on track
OK on track, 2nd driver
A&M on track, 2nd driver
OK making clunking noises
A&M passes South Dakota
Oklahoma massive fire & spin, DEAD CAR
Red flag
Parade lap & break whilst removing Oklahoma shrapnel
Bring all cars in
SD back on track
UIUC on track
SD driver change
CSUN on track
A&M on track
Mich on track
Mich spin, stall
A&M drifting behind UIUC around sweeper, passes UIUC
A&M makes large gap quickly
Mich pulled over/black flag?
Mich big spin into grass
KU on track
A&M hits cone, big drift
UIUC 2nd driver out on track
Mich black flagged
A&M finishes
Mich back on track
SD bogging, low on fuel? Off pace
Shiba-Ura finishes
RPI on track
SD off pace bogging for 2 laps
UW out- lost coolant after parade lap
The Ohio State University on track
RPI looks fast
SD out/finished?
KU lifting inside rear in sweeper
RPI transmission problems
KU passes UIUC
The Ohio State University off course
RPI black flagged
UIUC boots cone
KU driver switch
UMR winged beast lurks on deck
RPI back out
RPI in dirt, hits cone. RPI = RIP, push of shame
The Ohio State University only car on course (that’s alive), misses shift
The Ohio State University solo for awhile
The Ohio State University finishes, break to collect corpses (RPI, Oklahoma)
Repairs to timing line
Long break
Purdue on track
UMR on track
The Ohio State University back out
Maryland on track
KU on track
Purdue catches/passes Tokyo Denki U
The Ohio State University spins, into grass
KU stopped b/c The Ohio State University spin
UMR stopped on track
KU catches, passes The Ohio State University
TDU stopped at UMR speed bump
Maryland has shifter problems
UMR dead, body pulled from battlefield
Cal Poly Pomona on track
TDU held in passing lane for Maryland, KU, The Ohio State University
Matt coughs up chunk of LA air
KU catches, passes Maryland
CPP fast shifts, sounds like Italian enginery
CPP big spin
Chalmers out on track
Toledo on track
The Stig makes appearance in Purdue car
CPP black flagged, then back out
Chalmers carries inside rear all the way around sweeper
Toledo closing in on Chalmers
Maryland off pace
Maryland way off pace, holds up The Stig
The Stig passes, opens up 42 mile lead in one lap
Toledo screwed- Chalmers passes Maryland, Toledo stuck behind Maryland
Chalmers broken, holds up Toledo
The Stig hits cone
Purdue passes Maryland with 100 mph speed difference
CPP on track, 2nd driver
Purdue passes TDU- The Stig isn’t joking around
Kum Oh on track
CPP passes Maryland
2nd CPP driver not as smooth
Auburn on track
Auburn does not show southern hospitality to Maryland- passes them
Auburn passes Kum Oh
Kum Oh blasts two cones
Dartmouth on track
U de Sherbrooke (UDS) on track
TDU & Purdue finish
Toledo passes CPP
Kum Oh MIA
Auburn hits cone in slalom
CPP finishes
Toledo passes Dartmouth
Kum Oh returns
Western Ontario on track
Toledo opens big gap on Dartmouth
Auburn in for driver change
UDS off pace
Brazilian V8 team on track
WO making clunking noises, sounds like diff
Auburn back out
UDS brake overtravel switch kills engine, dead car
Dartmouth in for driver change
WO attrition victim
BYU on track
UOIT on track
Clemson on track
Carnegie Mellon (CM) on track
Clemson held in passing lane for CM and BYU
Auburn passes Kum Oh
BYU stalls out, facing wrong way, staring match with CM
Lehigh passes UOIT
BYU DNF (out of race)
CM missing upshifts
UNIP out on track, super quiet
Clemson carries drift around fast kink
Lehigh’s muff broken, redneck high dB levels
CM stuck in 1st gear maybe
Lehigh passes UOIT
Leeds on track
CM in or dead
Clemson in
Lehigh passes UNIP
Lehigh pulled in, black flagged for noise?
Clemson back out, 2nd driver
Leeds passes UOIT
UOIT passes Leeds
Leeds passes UOIT
Leeds opens up gap
UOIT drags cone
Saskatchewan on track
UC Irvine on track
Clemson held up by UCI
Clemson and UOIT pass UCI
UOIT spins in slalom
UCI stops on course
Cal Berkley on track
UNIP passed by UOIT
UCI hits cone
Saskatchewan breaks front suspension in bus stop, dead car
Berkley sidepod ready for liftoff
UOIT finishes
CSUS on track
Firenze on track
UCI passes UNIP
CSUS passes Wash State
BYU carcass dragged off course
Montana on track
The Reaper goes to collect UMR body & soul
CSUS passes Wash state
Wichita State on track
Firenze makes lots of smoke or dust
UMR helmet-less driver limps car across live track
CSUS major tire lift around kink
CSUS in
Montana continues to hold up Wichita and Wash state, passed
Montana passes Wash State
Wash State passes Montana
Wichita opens gap on Wash State and Montana
Wash State in
CSUS back out, second driver
Montana coolant overflow is steaming
Montana stuck in low gear
UCI passes Wash State
Wash State in
Wichita in for driver change
UCI passes Wash State
UBC passed by UBC (what? It must have been getting hot )
UBC passes UCI
Firenze passes Wash State
Firenze has oil spilling out, lots of smoke, black flag
TTU on track (Tenn. Tech)
Alberta on track
U Alabama Birmingham on track
Saskatchewan body drug off course
Dalhousie starts & finishes enduro
Rumor: A&M engine in sad shape after enduro

--------------------------
Matt Giaraffa
Missouri S&T (UMR) FSAE 2001 - 2005
~Christine Grice
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Cool, Aaron.

Got me to thinking that schools with film departments could have those students put together something like this or a documentary.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Cool, Aaron.

Got me to thinking that schools with film departments could have those students put together something like this or a documentary.
The Schools with involvement from other departments do significantly better in the other phases of the comptition, I can tell you a marketing student can in general make a better presentation than a M.E. ;)
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Cool, Aaron.

The Schools with involvement from other departments do significantly better in the other phases of the comptition, I can tell you a marketing student can in general make a better presentation than a M.E. ;)
I'll be a presentation judge this year, and that's an advantage that winning teams take advantage of from what some of the veteran judges have said.