Long Beach Grand Prix

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Brian Howlett
Car#: 111

Long Beach Grand Prix

Post by Brian Howlett »

The Long Beach Grand Prix is April 13-14, 2019. Let's make sure we DON'T schedule an autocross that weekend. :thumbup:
Morgan Plus 4 #111 8-)
David Watson

Re: Long Beach Grand Prix

Post by David Watson »

Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: But we are the only people I know of who seem to care :shh: :shh: :shh:
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

Why watch when you can do :P
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

See what I mean? 155 viewed and, 1 bothered to say "who cares?".
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

David Watson wrote:See what I mean? 155 viewed and, 1 bothered to say "who cares?".
And a number of those viewers are likely board members like me, so it's covered. That being said, we are at the mercy of the lots we rent and don't always have as many choices as we would like.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Rick Brown wrote:
David Watson wrote:See what I mean? 155 viewed and, 1 bothered to say "who cares?".
And a number of those viewers are likely board members like me, so it's covered. That being said, we are at the mercy of the lots we rent and don't always have as many choices as we would like.
Yep, Rick is correct, we are at the mercy of our renters. It's the same reason why we have events scheduled the same weekend as SD on occasion!
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

Understood, my post was mostly a joke on how few I have met interested in spectating racing, not on the complexities of scheduling. The racing clubs also seem to favor my mother's birthday too. :lol: :lol:

See you all on the 29th!
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Hey Brian,

I to would love to have the weekend off from racing.

Bought a condo on the course in Nov 2014.
- Every year, we have either had a local Championship on Sunday, or a National event all weekend.

I'm looking forward to the year I'm home for the "big race"... without having to miss competing in an event myself.

While we can't control National scheduling... we certainly controlled local even scheduling when Craig Angel was doing the calendaring, as he and Rene attended/worked the GPLB every year.
- To say we've lost that ability, I call BS.
- To say we're not thinking about the conflict when picking dates would be more appropriate.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Craig Naylor wrote:
- To say we've lost that ability, I call BS.
- To say we're not thinking about the conflict when picking dates would be more appropriate.
What do you think are the balances/compromises/opportunity cost when scheduling around national events in April are?

I think you might want to look at the schedule for last year and look at what is happening when.
Jacob Abrams
Car#: 728

Post by Jacob Abrams »

Agreed we should try to avoid overlapping with the race in Long beach, if possible. Of course I know there may be potential conflicts, but just wanted to add one more vote to try to avoid it if we can.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Does anybody actually think the region would intentionally schedule on the LBGP? CalClub provides workers. We will have several members who must attend.

Generally, two weekends in April are SCCA National events on the West Coast.
Generally, San Diego is going to have a local April event.
Venues typically are in highest demand in the Spring.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600