Aug. 3-4, 2019 Santa Anita Park Event

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Sean Fenstermacher
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 81

Re: Aug. 3-4, 2019 Santa Anita Park Event

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

Hopefully fellow members that come to play at Santa Anita want to help us have future events there.

IF you think your car is borderline regarding sound, please do everyone a favor and make changes to quiet it down before the event.

On the TnT days, if you blow sound or are perceived by other members as being "too loud", please expect to make changes.
I am sure Event Master can assist in moving you to an alternate run group while you make fixes, but you might still expect a loss of seat time for the day at the very least.

I hope member focus is not just on how to "pass sound" on our sound meter, it should how to help us secure this new site by not pissing off folks in the neighborhood (especially in morning when they might be trying to sleep in).

If we get significant noise complaints from the neighbors regarding sound, it could jeopardize the event as a whole regardless of what records we show of what readings the sound meter took.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Sean Fenstermacher wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:29 pm I hope member focus is not just on how to "pass sound" on our sound meter, it should how to help us secure this new site by not pissing off folks in the neighborhood (especially in morning when they might be trying to sleep in)
That's a good point. IIRC San Diego ran stockers early and mods late for that very reason. Going to do something similar with the run order?
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Bill Martin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 pm That's a good point. IIRC San Diego ran stockers early and mods late for that very reason. Going to do something similar with the run order?
^this. Prep/Mod, PAX, jr karts, etc all ran PM and rotated as such. The condo people would complain of sound in the early morning.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Matt Wherry

Post by Matt Wherry »

Hi folks, I'll be there on the 4th with my Mustang & want to be prepared with solutions if it's too loud.

For the side pipes, I can reinstall the factory baffle plates or cap the tips with metal/silicone sheet held on with band clamps.

For the exhaust tips, I'm thinking of rolling up coarse steel wool in heavy metal screen to partially block the openings.

Am I on the right track? Any ideas appreciated!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We may be using National procedure or rules, but they are 100 not the 93 we are using. Just want that to be clear in case people are assuming what was good at the Fontana Pro will be good at Santa Anita.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Matt Wherry wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:19 pm Hi folks, I'll be there on the 4th with my Mustang & want to be prepared with solutions if it's too loud.

For the side pipes, I can reinstall the factory baffle plates or cap the tips with metal/silicone sheet held on with band clamps.

For the exhaust tips, I'm thinking of rolling up coarse steel wool in heavy metal screen to partially block the openings.

Am I on the right track? Any ideas appreciated!
You will probably want to do all of those to be safe, but be aware that I've seen steel wool ignite from exhaust heat. Stainless steel scrubble pack - for Burns Stainless / Coast Fabrication mufflers does the trick safely. I think this is a reasonable, less expensive alternative: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/stainl ... 79300.html
Howard Kopel

Post by Howard Kopel »

Anthony P. wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:07 am
Howard Kopel wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:48 am What will happen if you register a high db? Will it be instant disqualification and go home. Or will you be given opportunity to modify driving at meter (reduce throttle)

DH
At solo2.com under membership and supplemental requirements it says

4.11 SOUND CONTROL Purpose: Our primary purpose is to preserve the healthy competitive environment, which we all enjoy by maintaining a harmonious relationship with the community. It is our intent to provide sound control definitions and standards toward this end. Our organization, in making efforts to limit offensive noise emissions, wishes to demonstrate a desire for harmony with nearby residents, which in turn will reduce the likelihood of complaints and general intolerance of our sport. Cal Club Autocross will follow the National Standards for Sound Control.

So nationally

If a driver in a vehicle exceeds 93 dBA, the driver will be allowed to attempt a viable remedy to functionally alter the exhaust system to reduce the sound level of the vehicle before his/her next run that day. (A “mechanical delay” per Solo® Rules Section 6.8.D may be used.) If the excessive reading occurs on the driver’s last run of the day, the Chief Steward, Sound Control Steward, or designated representative is authorized to impose a DNF penalty on that run. The use of an adjustable directional exhaust exit to laterally aim the exhaust output away from the sound meter position does not constitute a viable remedy. Adjustable directional exhaust exits may only be aimed straight up, straight down, or straight back. If a viable remedy has been attempted in the judgment of the Chief Steward, Sound Control Steward, or representative, the driver will be allowed to take his/her next run. If the driver declines any viable remedy or if the change is deemed inadequate by the Chief Steward, Sound Control Steward, or representative, the driver will forfeit all subsequent runs in the vehicle (unless an approved viable remedy is completed before the next run). If the driver in the vehicle exceeds 93 dBA again on any subsequent run, that run will be scored a DNF and all additional runs the for that driver will be forfeited. If a sound violation which would incur a DNF occurs on a run for which a rerun would otherwise be granted (per Section 7.4), the sound-based DNF will stand and there will be no rerun. For the purposes of sound measurement and enforcement, a “run” is def ined as any attempt at driving through the course, whether or not it is scored or a rerun is allowed. Any functional remedies implemented to reduce the sound level of a vehicle may not be removed (including the next day of the event) and may be subject to re-inspection by the Chief Steward, Sound Control Steward,
Okay, thanks for the information.

DH
Howard Kopel

Post by Howard Kopel »

Randy Gonzalez wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:26 pm Howard....your Z06 won't be a problem. If your buddy's car is a problem, we'll do what we can to resolve the issue (but I can't imagine any Corvette being all that loud unless highly modified). The rules outlined here are inline with National level events, and they aren't typically kicking cars out left and right. This is a new venue for our club, and we just want to ensure we leave a good first impression. We'll be enforcing the rules for sure, but we won't form an angry mob and chase you out of the lot! :lol:

We do have a few Mustang folks in our family that may have some issues to deal with though! :roll:
Randy, my Z06 is completely stock. The new guy I am bringing has a completely stock C7 Stingray which I think should be quieter.

I read rules that Anthony posted. But if your car is too loud at the sound station can't you just lift off throttle as you pass instead of making hardware changes?

DH
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Howard Kopel wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:19 pm
Randy Gonzalez wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:26 pm Howard....your Z06 won't be a problem. If your buddy's car is a problem, we'll do what we can to resolve the issue (but I can't imagine any Corvette being all that loud unless highly modified). The rules outlined here are inline with National level events, and they aren't typically kicking cars out left and right. This is a new venue for our club, and we just want to ensure we leave a good first impression. We'll be enforcing the rules for sure, but we won't form an angry mob and chase you out of the lot! :lol:

We do have a few Mustang folks in our family that may have some issues to deal with though! :roll:
Randy, my Z06 is completely stock. The new guy I am bringing has a completely stock C7 Stingray which I think should be quieter.

I read rules that Anthony posted. But if your car is too loud at the sound station can't you just lift off throttle as you pass instead of making hardware changes?

DH
You can before you hit 93, but once you exceed the limit a person much make a physical change to quiet the car down. Idk if there is a button one can press that doesnt make the car louder, but I would start with that off at first.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

I'll add that lifting at the meter doesn't quiet your car for the remaining 99%+ of the course, so if your car actually *is* too loud you could easily be the guy getting us kicked out from the venue.

That's firmly in the Not Cool camp, both for you and for us. So no, I'm not in favor of "just lift near the meter" as a solution to ANY sound problem. Anyone in violation will actually have to make a change that is reasonably expected to bring the car into compliance for the full course.

Edited to add: my co-driver and I have concerns that our car may not be compliant, despite a new muffler installed before the last event. I understand your concerns, and plan to have real options available for our car in case we're in violation.
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Mike Simanyi wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:48 pm I'll add that lifting at the meter doesn't quiet your car for the remaining 99%+ of the course, so if your car actually *is* too loud you could easily be the guy getting us kicked out from the venue.

While not a sound violation, it would be an unsportsmanlike violation.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Do Shifter Karts ever run In San Diego?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:17 pm Do Shifter Karts ever run In San Diego?
They dont make off road slicks in that size.
Howard Kopel

Post by Howard Kopel »

Anthony P. wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:20 am
Howard Kopel wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:19 pm

DH
You can before you hit 93, but once you exceed the limit a person much make a physical change to quiet the car down. Idk if there is a button one can press that doesnt make the car louder, but I would start with that off at first.
Anthony

The stock Z06 has bi-mode exhaust. It opens up at I think 3k rpm ...... and is louder. Not sure if it can be bypassed safely.
Just hope Randy is right !!!!!!

DH
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:17 pm Do Shifter Karts ever run In San Diego?
Not many now but used to be a lot of us. Rarely had trouble making sound, and generally an easy fix.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I ordered a longer silencer and an airbox for the shifter. Everybody says it should be fine. Annoying in grid still, but rarely over 89 at full song.
In most National events since the new bigger Burns Stainless and better tune, the F600 has been in the 87 to 96 range. I have nothing I can do easily to change that right now. But if we start running here regularly, I'll reroute the system for a more room to make changes. Though I do wonder how much sound is coming from the very open intake???? My sound fix at nationals is a pre-filter on the airbox inlets. At Fontucky, I should test that.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

In todays, driving lesson for teen Robert we drove all around Santa Anita and parked for a bit to look out over the lot. It's going to be so sweet! And 7 minutes to my house. But damn that church and convalescence home and houses are close!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 pm In todays, driving lesson for teen Robert we drove all around Santa Anita and parked for a bit to look out over the lot. It's going to be so sweet! And 7 minutes to my house. But damn that church and convalescence home and houses are close!
So we're having lunch at your place then?!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We serve Chicken McNuggets.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 pm In todays, driving lesson for teen Robert we drove all around Santa Anita and parked for a bit to look out over the lot. It's going to be so sweet! And 7 minutes to my house. But damn that church and convalescence home and houses are close!
Is there a certain way we need to enter or are all the gates open? I assume we're running at the south end next to Gate 3...and pitting where, across the road or at the north end of the lot?

Anyone know of a place nearby where I can overnite in the camper? Hey Steve...how big is your driveway? :)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Bill- I'm assuming we will enter from Huntington Drive and Holly Ave. Not official, but seems obvious.

I think the region is looking for somebody to camp overnight next to the timing vehicle. Our street doesn't have much room after I fill it up.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I don't really have a driveway about enough to park a compact sideways. :(
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:14 pm Bill- I'm assuming we will enter from Huntington Drive and Holly Ave. Not official, but seems obvious.

I think the region is looking for somebody to camp overnight next to the timing vehicle. Our street doesn't have much room after I fill it up.
Great -- hereby applying for job as night security guard. Just Saturday nite
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Bill Martin wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:33 pm Great -- hereby applying for job as night security guard. Just Saturday nite
Hey Bill, I think we're fine with that. You may have another driver keeping you company.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Sounds good. Thanks Randy