Aug. 3-4, 2019 Santa Anita Park Event

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Howard Kopel

Re: Aug. 3-4, 2019 Santa Anita Park Event

Post by Howard Kopel »

Bill Martin wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:53 pm
Steve Ekstrand wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 pm In todays, driving lesson for teen Robert we drove all around Santa Anita and parked for a bit to look out over the lot. It's going to be so sweet! And 7 minutes to my house. But damn that church and convalescence home and houses are close!
Is there a certain way we need to enter or are all the gates open? I assume we're running at the south end next to Gate 3...and pitting where, across the road or at the north end of the lot?

Anyone know of a place nearby where I can overnite in the camper? Hey Steve...how big is your driveway? :)
I have never been to this area so would also like to know if there are directions from the freeway. I will be coming early to help with setup so won't be able to follow the heard.......

DH
Eyezack87
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 24

Post by Eyezack87 »

Looking forward to this event for sure! Will be codriving Annants MRS at this one and fun-running in the Camry after assuming Lana doesn't get too bored (Randy, can she drive your Corvette again? LOL). I need to learn the limits of the new street tires I've been dailying for a while :clap:
Isaac Lam
Blue 2010 STF Camry LE
Black 2001 ES MR2 Spyder (co-driver)
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Howard Kopel wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:14 pm
Steve Ekstrand wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 pm In todays, driving lesson for teen Robert we drove all around Santa Anita and parked for a bit to look out over the lot. It's going to be so sweet! And 7 minutes to my house. But damn that church and convalescence home and houses are close!
Is there a certain way we need to enter or are all the gates open? I assume we're running at the south end next to Gate 3...and pitting where, across the road or at the north end of the lot?

Anyone know of a place nearby where I can overnite in the camper? Hey Steve...how big is your driveway? :)
I have never been to this area so would also like to know if there are directions from the freeway. I will be coming early to help with setup so won't be able to follow the heard.......

DH
Map to Santa Anita
We will be in the lot next to the mall at the bottom of the facility.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

RUN ORDER

Post by Rick Brown »

Sunday Run Order

CLICK ME!
Howard Kopel

Post by Howard Kopel »

Rick Brown wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:53 pm
Howard Kopel wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:14 pm

DH
Map to Santa Anita
We will be in the lot next to the mall at the bottom of the facility.
Ok, I see it. Its right off off Huntington. AND the one that looks like it has track layout marks on it !!

DH
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Driving directions are on the registration page:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/au ... cca-890174
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

93db is about what i get from the spectator locations at the long beach grand prix. proximity to the measuring device is everything, as is the notes amplified by the pipes. i can only think of 1 car that could be a problem, but i dont k ow a bunch of cars that appear on sundays. be safe and download a decibel meter for your phone (i like one called sound meter) and have a friend help you check. a person needs this for laguna seca too anyway...
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Regarding sound, the official test procedure (for car manufacturers, which is also referenced in California law) specifies the meter be located at a 45 degree angle from the exhaust tip, at the same height, 0.5 meters / 20 inches away. The throttle is applied slowly over a period of several seconds revving slowly to 75% of maximum revs. This is with the meter on Fast setting, and the peak reading is what matters.

IF - and that capitalization is intended - you want to test that way, we can do so before even sending your car on course. Or you can do it at home, but we have a calibrated sound meter to use for the test. Our 93 dB at 50' is the equivalent of 122.7 dB at 20 inches. Our meter has a selectable peak range setting that can go up to 140 dB, so we can get an accurate measurement pretty easily.

Hit me up if you have any questions. Marshall Grice did the deep dive on this and he knows the actual "rev duration" spec'd for the test, but my guess is just doing it over 2-3 seconds should work.

Mike

Edited to add: I ordered a big box of stainless steel scrubble. If you're willing to drill some holes through your exhaust tips so you can create a grid with safety wire, you can grab a couple balls of the scrubble and stuff them in, using the safety wire to keep your exhaust from becoming a scrubble cannon.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Attention Autocrossers:

We're looking for one (or a team so you can get a ride home) skilled autocrosser to drive the Cal Club RV back to it's temporary home in Fontana after the event (an RV storage lot about 2 miles north of Auto Club Speedway).

This is your chance to demonstrate some serious expert driving skills to your fellow drivers. Impress your friends! Take some selfies! :thumbup:

To show our gratitude, we'll count this as your Sunday work assignment! :clap:

Hopefully we can find a co-drive team or somebody who lives out that direction so it's convenient. We can also comp an Uber or whatever if that's what it takes to get you home. We'd really appreciate the help!

PM or post here!
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

I'll add that the storage facility is at the intersection of the 210 and 15 freeways. It's called Victoria RV and Boat Storage.

Just in case anyone wants to look up the location...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The entrance that makes the most sense for us would be Gate 3 which has a nice traffic signal. Huntington x Holly and accessible from both directions. That doesn't mean that's the entrance they want us to use.... But it seems pretty obvious to me. That's where I'll be headed first in the morning.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Re: RUN ORDER

Post by Rick Brown »

Rick Brown wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:55 pm Sunday Run Order

CLICK ME!
Run/work order has been revised, same link as above. Now with 4 run groups, this means 2 grids and worker switch over on the fly. Please be aware when it is your turn to work and report as soon as called or you see previous group winding down.
Howard Kopel

Post by Howard Kopel »

I thought the new Santa Anita venue is awesome. It could use some serious loose dirt/gravel removal in some area but over all large enough for great track layouts and more than enough parking. Had a nice 60 second, so wasn't too small. Great effort by the SCCA team to get this event organized at the new location with more than the usual 12 runs if you wanted them. I hope we continue to run there.
Here is video of my last run. Of course forgot to put camera on for my best 57.723 run :roll:
DH