2/8/20 SCCA Video

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Howard Kopel

2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Howard Kopel »

Here is video of my best time: 70.85 Fastest guys were running 69 with a couple of 68.
I was happy after not having my car for 3 months (clutch and tranny R&R) and missing lots of events......was a little rusty.

DH
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: 2/8/20 SCCA Video

Post by Anthony P. »

Here is mine 67.553, with an 8 tenths mistake entering the last slalom. Also, way too far off too many inside cones.

Howard Kopel

Post by Howard Kopel »

Anthony P. wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:30 pm Here is mine 67.553, with an 8 tenths mistake entering the last slalom. Also, way too far off too many inside cones.
I thought best times were 68.XX
Guess track got faster after I left early :roll:
Anyways 3 seconds faster than my time makes me feel old and slow.
I wish your camera was mounted mid car not on side as its hard to tell your line in comparison to mine.
Could you critique my video ??
Can I have a ride along !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????? :D

DH
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

I prefer the video on the side even if it's 'lopsided' because you get a true picture of how close you are to the cones. The in car view is misleading - it's hard to tell if you are actually close to key apex cones. The line has limited benefit if you are missing your marks.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Howard Kopel

Post by Howard Kopel »

Stephen Yeoh wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 pm I prefer the video on the side even if it's 'lopsided' because you get a true picture of how close you are to the cones. The in car view is misleading - it's hard to tell if you are actually close to key apex cones. The line has limited benefit if you are missing your marks.
Stephen, I understand your point of view. But you can't really see the track ahead like you can in my video. AND you certainly have no idea where the cones are on passenger side in Anthony's video. :shock:

DH
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Howard Kopel wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Stephen Yeoh wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 pm I prefer the video on the side even if it's 'lopsided' because you get a true picture of how close you are to the cones. The in car view is misleading - it's hard to tell if you are actually close to key apex cones. The line has limited benefit if you are missing your marks.
Stephen, I understand your point of view. But you can't really see the track ahead like you can in my video. AND you certainly have no idea where the cones are on passenger side in Anthony's video. :shock:

DH
Well on a miata it has to be mounted super low. Here is a video from a corvette. You can see his head and where he is looking, his hands, and his track placement

Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Anthony P. wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:31 am
Howard Kopel wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:22 pm

DH
Well on a miata it has to be mounted super low. Here is a video from a corvette. You can see his head and where he is looking, his hands, and his track placement

I always like being able to see the driver so I can study the hands and see how smooth they're driving. Although in this case we unfortunately see the driver GRABBING HIS OWN DOOR SEAL :shock:
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

In his defense, his kidney stones were bothering him. People of his generation weren't quitters!
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Car#: 711

Post by Ed T »

A great mistake by SCCA was not registering the word "Autocross" as a trademark, because I can't even see the cones in that video for puretrack. It's like playing with a 1/2 size ball on a 9' hoop and calling it basketball.
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Personally I dislike the 12" cones we moved to a dozen+ years go. I much prefer the 6" (guessing height)... you typically see in grid, which is basically all that's left of the old smaller cones. Our poor motorhome's suspension would probably prefer we switched back as well.

I believe the sole reason we initially switched, was Glenn Dunsing found a great deal on "seconds" cones. I recall some of them weighed as much a 3-4 normal cones, and were like hitting concrete if you made contact with them.