JDP Program Temporarily Suspended

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

JDP Program Temporarily Suspended

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

I just got off the phone with Rick Meyers (Region Development Manager, SCCA) and Brian Harmer (Solo & Rally Program Manager, SCCA). They are reaching out to each region individually to inform us that for the moment we are suspending the JDP program. Apparently there is a concern on specific guidelines for the JDP program and particular event operation protocols involved with running the kids. They are working as quickly as possible to develop some new guidelines and hope to have them completed quickly.

Apparently they had some guidelines, but noted some specific gaps that needed to be addressed immediately. They are working with several JDP parents to get the new guidelines in order. Hopefully all will be resolved before our next event, but until it is, we've been officially notified of this temporary suspension of our JDP program.

I will try and reach out to our karter families individually via email, but if anybody happens to talk with any of them, please share it with them. Hopefully this will all be resolved before our next event!

Will update as we hear more!
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Re: JDP Program Temporarily Suspended

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

SCCA still seems to regard secrecy as the primary goal here.
I inquired on the private KAC forum and that appears to have touched off panic.
The KAC is meeting June 11th and hopefully, we will know more then. But no doubt will be sworn to secrecy. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:28 pm SCCA still seems to regard secrecy as the primary goal here.
I inquired on the private KAC forum and that appears to have touched off panic.
The KAC is meeting June 11th and hopefully, we will know more then. But no doubt will be sworn to secrecy. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I wonder if you breach that if that is "unbecoming a member" and thus subject to banning.
David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

We got a letter from SCCA, addressed to Samuel, a minor child, that I can
or can not open? Without his permission. Am I missing anything? Can this be an issue?

I am just the father of a 9th grader, why/how do I have any say in anything to add to this, situation?

This might be like being at College Freshman orientation for the older sisters, you have to pay the bills and get to ask no questions. Really, just send the check.
Robert Baltazar
Car#: 591

Post by Robert Baltazar »

Any news yet when we can have the JDP back on course? Silence is not good !!!
1991 turbo RX7 12.4 111.18 mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmeEuCbcNUg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cal speedway 1.55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhunwtiGLk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Robert Baltazar wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:14 pm Any news yet when we can have the JDP back on course? Silence is not good !!!
During a video call we were given the following information;
(1) if you would like to participate in a solution email B H a r m e r@SCCA.com (spaces not present in his email)
(2) there is no timeline given. A robust solution to accountability must be implemented before resuming the program.

My 2 cents, after speaking with various SCCA sources, it seems this call is the result of a full program review. Parsing though the information, what I gather is, the scca feels they can't provide the kind of environment they want for the JDP program. It seems like they want to find a way to ensure the rules/program restraints are followed 100% of the time with some sort of accountability due to the nature of the participants. While many regions, like ours and Hawaii have run robust, safe, events for JDPers this is not the case universally. Also, like with any event, complacency can become an issue and a lapse in safety could have a larger consequence for an individual in a kart, especially if that individual is not properly trained to cope with various situations to the degree necessary to apply corrective actions under pressure.
David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Anthony,

Thank you for the update.

The response of the "power that must be followed" reminds me that we can only be responsible for our actions, on a local basis.

Making "us" responsible for all the out liers is not our responsibility. If we are rewarded by allowing us to have events it is a reflection of our following the rules set forth by the home office. If other regions want to have events all they have to do is follow the rules.

Like our region.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

When lawyers get involved, all bets for a rational outcome are... influenced. And insurers rely on their lawyers.

I'd be willing to bet this isn't the SCCA having a concern, but the SCCA dealing with insurance repercussions. If you have a Jr in the program, I suggest you sign up with Brian and participate.
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

David Barrish wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:19 pm
Making "us" responsible for all the out liers is not our responsibility. If we are rewarded by allowing us to have events it is a reflection of our following the rules set forth by the home office. If other regions want to have events all they have to do is follow the rules.

Like our region.
There should be an email update going out in the next couple days from the SCCA.

While I agree with your views, I'm not in a position to make them a reality. I can assure you there are people at the division level and higher that also share your views and they do voice them. Hawaii has a fantastic JDP program and is also in the same boat.

Please email Brian and share with him your thoughts, along with what you think makes us host safe JDP events.

The public description by the SCCA is that even with everything being followed there was an incident and thus even though we haven't experienced an issue, the same gap in safety exists for all regions, and they must be put on hold until the gaps are filled.
Robert Baltazar

So no updates ? 2020 is going to be a great year for the kids !! ( sarcastically) .
1991 turbo RX7 12.4 111.18 mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmeEuCbcNUg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cal speedway 1.55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhunwtiGLk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Robert Baltazar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:28 am So no updates ? 2020 is going to be a great year for the kids !! ( sarcastically) .
See here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10912
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Bob Davis of the SEB announced that Jr. Karts will not return during 2020 .
Robert Baltazar

So are we a go ?
Attachments
Screenshot_20201002-152644_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20201002-152644_Facebook.jpg (590.15 KiB) Viewed 63431 times
Screenshot_20201002-152644_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20201002-152644_Facebook.jpg (590.15 KiB) Viewed 63431 times

Cal speedway 1.55
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Nope. Unfortunately that is all 2020 stuff. There was a status call this week with the Mike Cobb and the JDP Program Assessment Committee, but the contents were not made pubic.

https://www.scca.com/announcements/212-jdp-update
"The JDP Program Assessment Committee is planning to schedule a JDP community town hall for late September or early October. Keep an eye out for details very soon."

I hope you all will participate! I'll post more when they release and more information.
Robert Baltazar

The contents are public. I just posted it yesterday. So what do WE need to get the kids back on the track ? The post came directly from the JDP site . Can you please make a call .

Cal speedway 1.55
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Anthony P. wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:32 pm Bob Davis of the SEB announced that Jr. Karts will not return during 2020 .
Anthony P. wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:36 pm
Robert Baltazar wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:16 pm The contents are public. I just posted it yesterday. So what do WE need to get the kids back on the track ? The post came directly from the JDP site . Can you please make a call .
Hi Robert, I'll try again. You are mistaken if you think something has changed. At the very top of the page is the town hall from 9/29/2020 including a download for the power point and a video of the town hall itself. I suggest you watch it and read along. There is no projected date to begin again. there is a projected date to make recommendations to the Bod in November and have the Bod vote in December.

Write a letter to the SEBo (for operations) to volunteer to help with the new program.

[/quote]
Robert Baltazar

So let me try this again. Why does it say that the JA can return on the SCCA website ? Are they WRONG ? Again this is straight from there website . Did you read what I posted ? I'll call tomorrow .

Cal speedway 1.55
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Robert Baltazar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:14 pm So let me try this again. Why does it say that the JA can return on the SCCA website ? Are they WRONG ? Again this is straight from there website . Did you read what I posted ? I'll call tomorrow .
Straight from the SCCA website, maybe you're not seeing the banner on mobile? The statement "Each region is approved to run JA at their Solo events" was in reference to regions not needing specific approval from the SCCA head office to have to JB/JC drivers. The entire JDP program is still placed on hold and the JDP Committee is looking to send a recommendation to the BOD by the end of the year to get it reinstated with new rules/guidelines.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (28.67 KiB) Viewed 63313 times