GRA 5/2 Practice Entry List

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: GRA 5/2 Practice Entry List

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Christian Ramos wrote:Hi,

This is my first time running in California. How many runs will we get?

Thanks
+/- 12 is the average on a practice.
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Thanks
At the practice? 12-16 usualy... plus or minus... etc..
Darren Cole
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 765

Post by Darren Cole »

Jennifer Cole and Darren Cole will have to drop out due to some family issues. We still hope to make the champ.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

May we see an updated List ... friends need to make weekend plans ... thanks
Navis Olsen

Post by Navis Olsen »

Max Hayter wrote:Navis - please shred my check. I just found out I need to work on Saturday.

Apologies for the late notice.
I'll use it for topping on my salad :(
Navis
Navis Olsen

Post by Navis Olsen »

Mako Koiwai wrote:May we see an updated List ... friends need to make weekend plans ... thanks
Sorry, had two long work days. It's up there now.
Navis
Navis Olsen

Post by Navis Olsen »

Thanks
With our format, you should get a minimum of 14 runs, unless you are goofing off between runs or working on your car. We have had reports of 25+ runs in the past.
Navis
Navis Olsen

Post by Navis Olsen »

Darren Cole wrote:Jennifer Cole and Darren Cole will have to drop out due to some family issues. We still hope to make the champ.
Sorry to hear that. :(
Navis
Art Rinner
Car#: 83

Post by Art Rinner »

Navis,
I also need to cancel due to work.

Art Rinner
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Navis Olsen

Post by Navis Olsen »

Art Rinner wrote:Navis,
I also need to cancel due to work.

Art Rinner
Got it.
Navis
Jason Dang

Post by Jason Dang »

I have a few friends that are very interested to run that day. Maybe they can fill up those spots by registering on site.

I think there will be AM shower on sat. how will that effect the event?
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Jason Dang wrote:I think there will be AM shower on sat. how will that effect the event?
It will make it more fun :gpower:

I might have to run w/ the top up, BOOO!!!
Navis Olsen

Post by Navis Olsen »

Jason Dang wrote:I have a few friends that are very interested to run that day. Maybe they can fill up those spots by registering on site.

I think there will be AM shower on sat. how will that effect the event?
We're committed, rain or shine. I believe there's a slim chance of light rain. That's a good time to hone your skills. Tell them to come on out. As of right now, we have 5 openings, and there are usually some no shows. At the very least they can go for rides, and enjoy the free fresh hot coffee and muffins.
Navis
Last edited by Navis Olsen on Fri May 01, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Navis Olsen wrote:free fresh hot coffee and muffins.
Navis
Free coffee & muffins? GRA is the BEST!
John Huynh

Post by John Huynh »

I feel like a newbie asking this, but what are the rules and restrictions on passengers/ride alongs?
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Passengers are allowed at a practice. They do have to obtain an SCCA weekend membership but that won't cost them any money. I believe they'll have a different color wristband that doesn't allow them to drive.

Mike
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

If its the tried and abused GRA method then some will get 35 runs and cord their tires and the people who try to play by the spirit of the thing and take breaks or work on the car will get 6 runs. Then I'll have to listen to Brian Robertson go into cheerleader mode about how its the best method, blah blah blah....

Its like if you get old the concept of mathematics becomes too difficult. Letting them run all day without checking off runs doesn't magically increase the number of runs available for the event. It just gives more runs to those who will sit in grid all day at the expense of the adults. It works great at a GRA closed practice. But now that they are dying off and people under 60 are half the field it totally breaks down. You have to check off the runs or it fails. Simple solution.

And don't get me started on the juniors. We just want to take a few laps at lunch like every other club allows. Can't get an okay on that. We'll see day of. So, I got to lie to my kid until lunch time or should I just tell him now that GRA sucks so he'll learn the hard lessons in life early??? The Youth Steward is obligated to take the kids on morning course walks BEFORE a decision is made on whether the kids can run at lunch. I guess these people forgot what it was like to have kids. Or maybe not, maybe they were jerked around like that by their parents and they passed it on. Maybe that is what drives them to buy so many corvettes? Oh, they okayed us setting up a separate small kids course. Wonderful. Didn't want it. GRA won't let parents share entries so there is no way to staff and run a kids course unless the parents dedicate themselves to not running and only working the kids course. Family sport means the family runs. Gesh.... Is this that hard???

I'd withdraw our family but, its GRA and they don't have any concept of promotion so the event won't fill and we'd be stuck eating the entry.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Navis Olsen

Post by Navis Olsen »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:If its the tried and abused GRA method then some will get 35 runs and cord their tires and the people who try to play by the spirit of the thing and take breaks or work on the car will get 6 runs. Then I'll have to listen to Brian Robertson go into cheerleader mode about how its the best method, blah blah blah....

Its like if you get old the concept of mathematics becomes too difficult. Letting them run all day without checking off runs doesn't magically increase the number of runs available for the event. It just gives more runs to those who will sit in grid all day at the expense of the adults. It works great at a GRA closed practice. But now that they are dying off and people under 60 are half the field it totally breaks down. You have to check off the runs or it fails. Simple solution.

And don't get me started on the juniors. We just want to take a few laps at lunch like every other club allows. Can't get an okay on that. We'll see day of. So, I got to lie to my kid until lunch time or should I just tell him now that GRA sucks so he'll learn the hard lessons in life early??? The Youth Steward is obligated to take the kids on morning course walks BEFORE a decision is made on whether the kids can run at lunch. I guess these people forgot what it was like to have kids. Or maybe not, maybe they were jerked around like that by their parents and they passed it on. Maybe that is what drives them to buy so many corvettes? Oh, they okayed us setting up a separate small kids course. Wonderful. Didn't want it. GRA won't let parents share entries so there is no way to staff and run a kids course unless the parents dedicate themselves to not running and only working the kids course. Family sport means the family runs. Gesh.... Is this that hard???

I'd withdraw our family but, its GRA and they don't have any concept of promotion so the event won't fill and we'd be stuck eating the entry.

Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. If you are so down on our club and our format of running practices, please, by all means withdraw.
What you fail to see, is that the participant is in full control of how many runs he wants and gets, that he works once for 1 1/2 hours instead of twice at 1 hour each for a total of 2 hours, and that the number of people who favor our method, once they try it, is far greater than that of yours.
Please take your negitivity someware else.
Navis
Joel Payne
Car#: 311

Post by Joel Payne »

With rain on the forecast I'm assuming I'm better off just leaving my street tires on instead of switching to fairly well worn RA1s?
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Joel Payne wrote:With rain on the forecast I'm assuming I'm better off just leaving my street tires on instead of switching to fairly well worn RA1s?
Unless there is standing water or rivers running across the course in several places R-Compound tires should still be faster. At national events people won't change to wets unless it's REALLY raining.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Joel Payne wrote:With rain on the forecast I'm assuming I'm better off just leaving my street tires on instead of switching to fairly well worn RA1s?
Unless there is standing water or rivers running across the course in several places R-Compound tires should still be faster. At national events people won't change to wets unless it's REALLY raining.
Do you drive to the track on your race tires? If so, that may impact your decision. Otherwise, what Aaron said. (Since I drive on mine, I'm still debating. But I'm not running on Saturday and am likely driving out tonight, so probably won't matter.)
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

We'd love to test our new full tread RE-11's in standing water ... but it's Southern CA ... won't happen this time of the year.
Yoichi Hamada

Post by Yoichi Hamada »

Dear Navis,

Sorry to say that Sakuraoka, Keita cannot make it, BUT i have another friend that will take his place.
His name is Shih, Erik

The other friend Ohata, Yusuke may have to work and will not know till tomorrow (sat) morning (6am).
What will happen if he has work and is a "No-show" What will happen to his payment?

I ask about the payment because I wrote a single check for all three people.
Can i just take my check book and "if" one doesnt show write a new check for 2 people? or pay in cash?
If that is possible please let me know.

Thank you very much,
Yoichi Hamada
Antonio Kim

Post by Antonio Kim »

i am very sorry for the late notice, can you shred my check i will not be able to make it sat. i kid is sick. thank you
Navis Olsen

Post by Navis Olsen »

Yoichi Hamada wrote:Dear Navis,

Sorry to say that Sakuraoka, Keita cannot make it, BUT i have another friend that will take his place.
His name is Shih, Erik

The other friend Ohata, Yusuke may have to work and will not know till tomorrow (sat) morning (6am).
What will happen if he has work and is a "No-show" What will happen to his payment?

I ask about the payment because I wrote a single check for all three people.
Can i just take my check book and "if" one doesnt show write a new check for 2 people? or pay in cash?
If that is possible please let me know.

Thank you very much,
Yoichi Hamada
I appreciate your follow up on everything. I'll replace Keita Sakuraoka with Eric Shih tonight. Just bring your check book, and if Yusuke can't make it, just write a new check, we won't charge for her if she has to work.

Thanks,
Navis