Question: How does one get into practices?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Question: How does one get into practices?

Post by George Schilling »

Answer: It's easy! Become a contributor.

I often hear the stories about practice entries. "No matter how quickly I send my check in, I don't get in." Sound familiar? :(

I started autoxing about six years ago, and during that time I cannot recall ever being shut out of a practice. My secret........shhhh........don't tell anyone.........after my first event, I stayed behind and did what I could to help pick up and put things away. I didn't know where anything went, but I helped with loading the trailer, rolling up cords, doing some lifting, being available. There I was working next to the key people who decide who will be admitted to the next practice. I must have mentioned my first and last name about twenty times introducing myself to those in charge. :)

Now, I'm sometimes the person who makes those decisions. When I look at a list of applicants for a practice, I may not know everyone's name, but there are some names I associate with "offers to help." Lately, I've noticed many people are not taking advantage of getting their foot in the door by offering to stay and help put things away, so when I look at a list or entrants, there are no new names jumping out at me saying, "hey, remember me, I'm a contributor." :king:

August 23 is our next championship. This is a great opportunity for you to help and become known as someone who can be counted on. Either contact your team rep on your message board or just show up after the event and ask someone what you can do to help. Oh, and don't forget to introduce yourself. :thumbup:
Last edited by George Schilling on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 72

Re: Question: How does one get into pracitces?

Post by Tom Berry »

Wow... great post George!
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I remember Renee actually writing some of our names down after helping out at wrap ... so that she could make sure we got into the next one. It really works ...
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

It also helps to become a regular competitor instead of a regular "practicer". So come to both, the championships and the practices.
Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Or contribute cash to the region's web site and/or sponsor the sport in various ways. Just saying..... :)

(some of us it is harder to stick around or arrive early since it is a long distance)
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
George Schilling
Club Representative

Randy Chase wrote:Or contribute cash to the region's web site and/or sponsor the sport in various ways. Just saying..... :)

(some of us it is harder to stick around or arrive early since it is a long distance)
I guess I should have titled it "How does one get into practices without forking over thousands of dollars." :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Randy Chase
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

haha. Yeah. I just felt guilty about not staying around to help out. :)
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Randy Chase wrote: (some of us it is harder to stick around or arrive early since it is a long distance)
I thought Nobles and Rossions bypass the laws of physics, eliminating that pesky time-space continuum bottleneck.
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

It also helps to understand what time of the year you are asking to get into the pracitce events.

I have no issue with staying out of the way of those headed to the Nationals. The fall season will offer ample access to seat time.

I do agree with George, make an impression.

The fact that I have to build another car is my excuse for not sending in a check.

David
Giovanni Jaramillo

Re: Question: How does one get into practices?

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Question: How does one get into pracitces?
Answer: First learn how to spell "practices" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That goes for you too David :)
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Question: How does one get into pracitces?
Answer: First learn how to spell "practices" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That goes for you too David :)
oops!
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Gio,

Thank you. I learn something new every day.

Fire Fox on the Apple at home makes reading the message more readable.

This IBM think pad is out to make me look bad.

Got it. Buy apple.

DB
Ira Cruz
Club: No$
Car#: 789

Post by Ira Cruz »

Good post George!! :D
Looks like it was spelled right...it was on the second post by Tom that was mispelled?? how that happen??
Hanging out with you guys is contagious...you get to be good!!
Wish had the time to do Saturdays too...
George Schilling
Club Representative

Ira Cruz wrote:Good post George!! :D
Looks like it was spelled right...it was on the second post by Tom that was mispelled?? how that happen??
Hanging out with you guys is contagious...you get to be good!!
Wish had the time to do Saturdays too...
Thanks Ira. I went back and fixed my error. As a moderator, Gio could have done it but he'd rather embarrass and humiliate me in front of everyone. :lol:
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

George Schilling wrote: ...As a moderator, Gio could have done it but he'd rather embarrass and humiliate me in front of everyone. :lol:
i thought that was the whole point of being a moderator }:)
it's only paranoia if your wrong
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

George Schilling wrote:As a moderator, Gio could have done it but he'd rather embarrass and humiliate me in front of everyone. :lol:
Actually believe it or not I have ZERO privileges on the forums. I have no moderator status of any kind. It's the main site where I have webmaster privileges. This is Aaron's domain.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

George Schilling wrote: Thanks Ira. I went back and fixed my error. As a moderator, Gio could have done it but he'd rather embarrass and humiliate me in front of everyone. :lol:
moderators can only delete full posts and topics. Only Aaron and Will (when logged in as admins) can actually edit other peoples posts.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Marshall Grice wrote:
George Schilling wrote: Thanks Ira. I went back and fixed my error. As a moderator, Gio could have done it but he'd rather embarrass and humiliate me in front of everyone. :lol:
moderators can only delete full posts and topics. Only Aaron and Will (when logged in as admins) can actually edit other peoples posts.
Yeah, I'm sure you can all appreciate why we don't want people editing others posts. If it's bad enough mods can delete them.
George Schilling
Club Representative

I knew Gio couldn't edit my post. My response was a friendly ribbing toward Gio combined with a little self deprecation toward myself. :o
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

George Schilling wrote:I knew Gio couldn't edit my post. My response was a friendly ribbing toward Gio combined with a little self deprecation toward myself. :o
George... your sense of humor (or lack thereof), is lost on most of us.

:heyes:
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
George Schilling
Club Representative

Max Hayter wrote:
George Schilling wrote:I knew Gio couldn't edit my post. My response was a friendly ribbing toward Gio combined with a little self deprecation toward myself. :o
George... your sense of humor (or lack thereof), is lost on most of us.

:heyes:
It was meant for Gio. I suppose others wouldn't get it. ;)