Are there any Los Angeles area events?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Are there any Los Angeles area events?

Post by Kurt Rahn »

D'oh!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Cam Correa
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 306

Post by Cam Correa »

So why are there so few events & areas to race? Image
http://www.Class3Racing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.TheWebWheeler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Big enough lots, willing lot owners, lack of neighbors who will raise holy hell over the noise.

As for number of events, 12-14 is about all a volunteer organization can put on without burning out core people or having events lose money because of low turnout.
Cam Correa

Post by Cam Correa »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Big enough lots, willing lot owners, lack of neighbors who will raise holy hell over the noise.

As for number of events, 12-14 is about all a volunteer organization can put on without burning out core people or having events lose money because of low turnout.
Where can I see a list of all the SoCal events?
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

There are a lot of events....
You're timing is just not great.

But I'm looking at a calendar that gives me possibilities to run about every weekend through the summer. But "some" travel is involved. :twisted:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

Blanco .. wrote:So why are there so few events & areas to race? Image
Apparently, I need to write faster :)

Because it takes a lot :D to put on an event, both in the size of the lot and the effort of those people involved in putting on the actual event.

Being in a region (KS) where there are about 10 people who do all the work at every event, it gets pretty tiring doing all that work, even for a small event. In both the LA and San Diego region events, individual clubs generally put on events, so that you don't have the same 10 people doing all the work (of course, that really isn't true, as there is a small group of people who do more than their fair share of work at every event, but the clubs do take up some of their workloads).

Then there is the problem of participation. In order to make an event financially viable, you need a certain amount of people to cover expenses (mainly the lot fee, but also insurance/sanction, equipment funds, etc), and when you get over a certain number of events, especially when they aren't centrally located, attendance falls off.
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Cam Correa

Post by Cam Correa »

I just found the Calendar.. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

So are many of you gonna go to the July 18th-20th event at el toro?

How does someone like myself go about going out there & just practicing?
Being I've never done this before?

I'm not ready to race yet, But I'd like to get a feel for it.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:There are a lot of events....
You're timing is just not great.

But I'm looking at a calendar that gives me possibilities to run about every weekend through the summer. But "some" travel is involved. :twisted:
Yeah, lets see.. we'll be at a 2 day event weekend after this one, then another 2 day event the next weekend.. then a weekend off before we have to go up to do the Wendover Pro Solo, one weekend off before you get to choose if you're doing the Packwood Tour or the night of the livingdead championship (which i wish I could do), then the next weekend is the Packwood Pro Solo, the 2 weekends off before Nationals.

Man, i better start buyin some plane tickets.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Blanco .. wrote:I just found the Calendar.. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

So are many of you gonna go to the July 18th-20th event at el toro?

How does someone like myself go about going out there & just practicing?
Being I've never done this before?

I'm not ready to race yet, But I'd like to get a feel for it.
You sign up for a practice, next on is Saturday, September 27, 2008. Should pretty pretty easy to get into since it's RIGHT after Nationals. Unfortunately that means there will probably not be a lot of National types there to instruct.

Championships work fine for first timers, just ask Mr Ekstrand, there are novice coarse walks and instruction available, plus you can buy extra X-runs and sometimes there are fun runs at the end of the day.

(anyone want do this standard schpeil up in FAQ form to add to the noob FAQ at the top of the New forum?)
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

There is also the BMW event in San Diego this weekend ... besides their regular events:

http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

... and occasional events at the Camarillo airport. The closest venue for those of us "up" here use to be Hollywood Park. We lost that lot a couple of years ago ...
Cam Correa

Post by Cam Correa »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
You sign up for a practice, next on is Saturday, September 27, 2008. Should pretty pretty easy to get into since it's RIGHT after Nationals. Unfortunately that means there will probably not be a lot of National types there to instruct.
So you can only practice at practice events?
& what about when you have a work schedule like mine & never know when your working?
alot of times I learn the day before about work. :roll:

Can you enter events the day of the event?
or do you always need to pre-register?
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Blanco .. wrote: So you can only practice at practice events?
& what about when you have a work schedule like mine & never know when your working?
alot of times I learn the day before about work. :roll:

Can you enter events the day of the event?
or do you always need to pre-register?
You can 'practice' at champ events too - do your competition runs, then do X-runs (time only non-competition runs), and sometimes even fun runs. For champ events, you just show up, register, tech your car, and drive - no pre-reg necessary unless you want to compete for year-end points and want a 'permanent' number (pre-reg is for CalClub members only). Entries into practices are at the discretion of the hosting club, have a limited number of entrants, and are usually first-come, first-served.
~Leonard Cachola
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

One of the years in the past (when we were going to run at the Rose Bowl, and Irwindale), events kept getting rescheduled at the last minute. I think I only made about half of the events that year. I'm an RN, and I make my schedule 6-8 weeks in advance, and had to work every other weekend, so I feel your pain. :)

You can sign up for championship events the day of the event, but practices usually sell out quickly, especially those on Championship weekends. For some reason, the double practices don't seem to fill up (as quickly). You might, depending on the club, be able to sign up to be the first person on the waiting list at the event, and then pay there, or you can risk losing your $40 (although some clubs will give you credit if your space is filled).

You might also consider joining one of the various clubs, which would at least give you a good shot at making 1-2 practices a year, and they'd be more likely to give you a refund if you have to work at the last minute, provided you are club member in good standing (usually defined as someone who helps out whenever possible and is actively participating).
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Stacey and I both started in the sport just showing up for championships in ridiculously inappropriate and uncompetitive cars. I got nothing nothing but help and encouragement and even kudo's. At my first event Craig Angel told all the whiny corvette drivers that should go talk to the rookie at his first event hustling the club cab pick up truck through the "too tight" gates. That was pretty cool.

Most championships you can purchase X runs (a second set of runs) for $25 and no additional work requirement. So, you can come out on a Sunday, get an instructor course walk, get an instructor to drive an extra lap in your car for free, then after your class runs, go take three more runs for practice. Its not so bad really! Trust me.

Your problem is timing. We won't be doing instructors or X runs at the Divie. Though we'd give you plenty of help on course walks. And there would be lots of great drivers to watch and learn from. I'd come check it out, but being me, I'd probably sign up as newb anyway and just go for it. You're a car guy. If you put some effort into walking and studying the course, then kept it smooth and controlled, you'd do okay. Don't worry about results. This is not a bunch that going to hammer on a rookie for being down in the results. The SK1 guys would probably really appreciate another entry helping fill out their contingency money. They'd owe you one.

This bunch is so helpful, you'd never feel lost. El Toro is a little far, but its autox nirvana. Plus, we'd really like to see you run in daylight before we let you in the Night of the Living Dead event. If you have off on Friday's the El Toro Test n Tune will have a 1-5pm Test n Tune course, some practice runs before the big show and you could probably get a couple of ride alongs or an instructor to help.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The Divie is Pre-Reg only but you can register very close to the event.

Pre-Reg for regular championships cuts off like Friday night before, so you should know your schedule by then. Normal Championships allow walk-ups but I'd rather have you sign up and no show if work interferes.

Practices are tough....
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Collins
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

One more thought regarding practices: You can just show up at a practice without signing up. You won't be able to *drive* but you can sign the event waivers and get ride-alongs to your heart's content. Pretty much anyone you ask will give you a ride. We even have "loaner" helmets you can borrow (if you dare put your head in them...)

That's what I did to figure out what autocross was all about. Once I had an idea what I was getting into, showing up for a sunday "championship" in the car I had was no big deal.

steve
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Mako Koiwai wrote:There is also the BMW event in San Diego this weekend ... besides their regular events:

That is correct. BMWCCA - SD chapter is putting on their 4th of July weekend event. Sat-Sun. With a "run-off" for the winners of the respective classes on Saturday, get to compete for a trophy prize (ala Cal Club's "trophy dash car") on Sunday.

Here's the trophy dash car (Instructors not allowed to participate) :cry:
Attachments
BMW 135i
BMW 135i
E82_MY082_1Series_.jpeg (132.79 KiB) Viewed 9124 times
Giovanni Jaramillo

Mako Koiwai wrote:There is also the BMW event in San Diego this weekend ... besides their regular events:

But remember, you have to a BMWCCA member (especially for the San Diego chapter) and pre-registeration closes a week before the event, and only 10 spots are reserved for X-class cars (aka non-BMWs), so it's must stricter to get into marque club autocrosses (but not impossible).

But the calendar is available for SD chapter as well. http://www.sdbmwcca.com
Giovanni Jaramillo

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Pre-Reg for regular championships cuts off like Friday night before
10pm PST to be exact (except for the NOTLD - Night of the Living Dead event held in August every year; the cutoff day is Thursday since the event starts on Sat night and ends into the early dawn of Sunday morning - hence the nickname of the event).
Cam Correa

Post by Cam Correa »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: If you have off on Friday's the El Toro Test n Tune will have a 1-5pm Test n Tune course, some practice runs before the big show and you could probably get a couple of ride alongs or an instructor to help.
This friday?
or every friday?

I'm sorta confused? Image
Giovanni Jaramillo

Blanco .. wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote: If you have off on Friday's the El Toro Test n Tune will have a 1-5pm Test n Tune course, some practice runs before the big show and you could probably get a couple of ride alongs or an instructor to help.
This friday?
or every friday?

I'm sorta confused? Image
This Friday is a holiday. Steve meant the Friday (July 18th) before the Cal Club Divisional @El Toro MCAS on Sat-Sun (July 19th-20th)
Cam Correa

Post by Cam Correa »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
This Friday is a holiday. Steve meant the Friday (July 18th) before the Cal Club Divisional @El Toro MCAS on Sat-Sun (July 19th-20th)
So is it every friday before the race or just this one?
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Blanco .. wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
So is it every friday before the race or just this one?
Just this one.
~Leonard Cachola