November 14 - 15, 2009 Solo School

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Lisa Severy

November 14 - 15, 2009 Solo School

Post by Lisa Severy »

I just wanted to get everyone thinking about the upcoming Solo Novice School, hosted by the Solo Board, scheduled for the weekend of November 14 - 15. This school is intended for drivers with less than three years experience or those who have not attended a Solo school in the past (I have lists going back to the early 2000's). More experienced drivers, such as those wishing to get over a plateau, can be on the waiting list and a few may get in, if space allows. The instructors will are some of the Regional and National Champions that we are fortunate to have in our club and who step up every year to coach and mentor drivers who are new to the sport. The school will have exercises in the morning (e.g., skid pad, slalom, lane change or double lane change, increasing/decreasing radius turns, etc.), after the drivers meeting and chalk talk, and a full course in the afternoon after lunch. At lunch time, we will have a "chalk talk" covering a few topics. The day will be jammed-packed with information and action! Students from the school on Saturday, will have first priority for entry into the practice event on Sunday. There will be a package price for both days. I am in the process of preparing an entry form that will help me to assign drivers to instructors, along with pricing and the details for submitting entries. I am working on finalizing the price per student - which I hope will be recognized as a good value for this type of instruction. So please keep your eyes open for more information!

http://tinyurl.com/yk45ron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you are interested in attending the school, please make sure that you fill out the application that is attached, or will be attached shortly, to the posting on the Solo2 site (Thank you Will Kalman!) and follow the directions carefully. I need this information in order to properly match students to instructors. We can accommodate a maximum of 60 students. The target student to instructor ratio is no more than three students per instructor. The cost will be $120 for the school on Saturday. This includes a paper-back handbook muffins in the morning, water all day and lunch! But wait, there's more! Students of the school get first chance at the practice on Sunday (value-priced at $150 for both days). The posting for the practice will be updated soon. Spots for the open practice will be made available depending on the number of students and instructors attending. A waiting list for the Practice (Sunday only)will be created on a first-come/first served basis. If you have any questions, please contact me via this forum, or through the Solo2 main site.
Attachments
Application for 2009 Cal Club Solo Autocross School.pdf
(25.31 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Daryl Slawnikowski
Club: PSCC
Car#: 156

Re: Novice School November 14 - 15, 2009

Post by Daryl Slawnikowski »

Every intersted in attendind this schooling event, Both Ozzie & myself would be attending depending on the price. Ozzie for sure either way. Looking forward to this for past season and a half.
Charley Hoyt

Post by Charley Hoyt »

Sounds great Lisa. I am very interested. Do you know where it will be?
Mike Kazmierczak
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 227

Post by Mike Kazmierczak »

In for this. :D

What was the cost last year?
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Mike Kazmierczak wrote:In for this. :D

What was the cost last year?
The school will be held at AAA Speedway. I don't believe cost has been determined yet, but it will be very reasonable for what you get. Lisa does a terrific job running this school. Anyone who meets the requirements would be a fool not to take advantage. Best bang for the buck you'll get at any driving school.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I am SO in!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Is this going to be instead of the Ladies School ... or in addition, or incorporate Ladies School into this event ?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Nothing to do with the Ladies School.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tadd Ekstrand
Car#: 152

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

hmmm Steve you around?
Tadd Ekstrand
STS 91 Honduh Civie Si Iamokwithmysexuality blue

New avatar courtesy of Mako Koiwai.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Tadd Ekstrand wrote:hmmm Steve you around?
If he's not, I think I'm gonna rent a car for this. You're welcome to drive it with me.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Tadd Ekstrand

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

thank.

But who knows if i qualify? ;)
Tadd Ekstrand

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Tadd Ekstrand wrote:thank.

You're an Ekstrand. You're evil.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tadd Ekstrand

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

I am also a republican so I am extra evil.... }:)

(hope that doesn't get this moved into the political paddock ;) )
Tadd Ekstrand

Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

You've been doing this for less than three years and you've never done a school I assume, so I think you are.
==============
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Kurt Rahn wrote:

You've been doing this for less than three years and you've never done a school I assume, so I think you are.
Tadd did the Evo Teen thing. And an Evo practice. And an informal school we held last year where he drove the civic for the first time. Poor kid had to borrow the M6 convertible to learn to drive a stick. But he has done this for 3 years or less.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tadd Ekstrand

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

I am so deprived ;)
Tadd Ekstrand

Marcus Russell
Car#: 280

Post by Marcus Russell »

I'm in ...and Sourpuss has new parts...let's get it on!
This 280 ain't no old lady
Andrew Bingham
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 846

Post by Andrew Bingham »

I'm in for this...
Lisa Severy

Post by Lisa Severy »

A quick update: I plan to get the school info, including cost, posted today or tomorrow. I was out of the country on business last week, so I haven't had a chance to work on it. I thank you for your patience. Stay tuned!
Lisa Severy

Seeking Course Designer for Upcoming Solo School

Post by Lisa Severy »

I am looking for a volunteer from one of you who has done course design in the past to take on the challenge of creating a course for the school that safely incorporates the two or three exercises for the morning and then can be quickly converted to a full course for the afternoon runs (and still allow time for course walking) that includes as many as possible the typical elements one may encounter on a Solo 2 course. You would also need to manage course set-up in the morning such that we can get the students going no later than 0900 h. Please contact me through this site (private message) or through the Solo2.com website ASAP. Thank you!!!!
Lisa Severy

November 14 Novice Solo School Posted

Post by Lisa Severy »

If you are interested in attending the school, please make sure that you fill out the application that is attached, or will be attached shortly, to the posting on the Solo2 site (Thank you Will Kalman!) and follow the directions carefully. I need this information in order to properly match students to instructors. We can accommodate a maximum of 60 students. The target student to instructor ratio is no more than three students per instructor. The cost will be $120 for the school on Saturday. This includes a paper-back handbook muffins in the morning, water all day and lunch! But wait, there's more! Students of the school get first chance at the practice on Sunday (value-priced at $150 for both days). The posting for the practice will be updated soon. Spots for the open practice will be made available depending on the number of students and instructors attending. A waiting list for the Practice (Sunday only)will be created on a first-come/first served basis. If you have any questions, please contact me via this forum, or through the Solo2 main site.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Re: November 14 Novice Solo School Posted

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Lisa Severy wrote:If you are interested in attending the school, please make sure that you fill out the application that is attached, or will be attached shortly, to the posting on the Solo2 site (Thank you Will Kalman!) and follow the directions carefully. I need this information in order to properly match students to instructors. We can accommodate a maximum of 60 students. The target student to instructor ratio is no more than three students per instructor. The cost will be $120 for the school on Saturday. This includes a paper-back handbook muffins in the morning, water all day and lunch! But wait, there's more! Students of the school get first chance at the practice on Sunday (value-priced at $150 for both days). The posting for the practice will be updated soon. Spots for the open practice will be made available depending on the number of students and instructors attending. A waiting list for the Practice (Sunday only)will be created on a first-come/first served basis. If you have any questions, please contact me via this forum, or through the Solo2 main site.
Lisa, I copied this and put a link into the first post in the main School thread that's sticky'd.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I don't see an attachment/application yet. Am I just blind, or is it not up yet?
==============
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

I just got it this morning from Lisa (she sent it to me last night) so I'll post it here for now.
Application for 2009 Cal Club Solo 2 Autocross School.pdf
Application for 2009 Cal Club Solo Autocross School
(25.31 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Thanks, Will.

One more question. I was planing on renting a car (my old car will probably be turned in by then, and the new one will be pre-break-in so I don't want to thrash it. Is that cool, Lisa, or do I have to drive the car I'll be competing in? If it's cool, there's a section in the application that asks re: the car; should I just say it's a rental?
==============