05/25/08 Casoc Event (results are up)

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: 05/25/08 Casoc Event (results are up)

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Tom Tanquary wrote:
I go to wide open throttle in second gear on the exit of the turn but you can see the tachometer hardly moves.
More than likely your traction control (or whatever they call it now)is on. The newer the car the more layers of "safety" are built in. In my 330i I sometimes forget to turn it off and then realize it on corner exit when my foot is to the floor and nothing is happening. :o

t
I concur. That looks exactly like what happens when I forget to turn mine off. BTW, David, You might consider running your next event in DS as a novice. You get to choose when you run, and you're competing against the other novice drivers, rather than immediately swimming with the sharks. Also, feel free to ask the more experienced and faster drivers to instruct you. They can give you tips that dramatically improve your times. See you next event. hopefully!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Welcome David! And we can set up with an instructor whether you run novice or not.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Curt Luther
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

My notes from a timing slip:

1. I remembered to turn the DL1 on and off like I was supposed to. Now I gotta get my 10 year old to teach me how to read the data...
2. THAT'S what the brakes are for...
3. Whoever said that you can't make a stock FWD car oversteer is a liar. Will and I proved that in the last left hander...
4. I'm really gonna miss the STS Civic, but it was cool to see the Rios' having fun in it...
5. Mmmm. More urges for ham. More quality than quantity...
6. No. Just 'cause you're class runs in the last group, you don't take your X runs in the 2nd to last group. Really...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Curt Luther wrote:My notes from a timing slip:

4. I'm really gonna miss the STS Civic, but it was cool to see the Rios' having fun in it...
Thanks again, I can't wait until it's official. Now I just gotta figure out exactly how wide it really is, I thought it was a little skinnier than it really is...8 cones in 3 runs, oops.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Sebastian Rios wrote:Thanks again, I can't wait until it's official. Now I just gotta figure out exactly how wide it really is, I thought it was a little skinnier than it really is...8 cones in 3 runs, oops.
That car is fun-and-a-half! As long as you were hitting cones on the inside of turns, you'll just have to speed up to the reflexes of the car. I can imagine it's like a kart compared to a WRX. You guys should really enjoy it and I bet it fits Shauna a lot better than the high-silled WRX.

If you were hitting cones with the passenger side, note that the car is wider on the right than the left ;)

And you're gonna want to practice your Scandinavian flicks :o
Dave Baer

Post by Dave Baer »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Tom Tanquary wrote:
I go to wide open throttle in second gear on the exit of the turn but you can see the tachometer hardly moves.
More than likely your traction control (or whatever they call it now)is on. The newer the car the more layers of "safety" are built in. In my 330i I sometimes forget to turn it off and then realize it on corner exit when my foot is to the floor and nothing is happening. :o

t
I concur. That looks exactly like what happens when I forget to turn mine off. BTW, David, You might consider running your next event in DS as a novice. You get to choose when you run, and you're competing against the other novice drivers, rather than immediately swimming with the sharks. Also, feel free to ask the more experienced and faster drivers to instruct you. They can give you tips that dramatically improve your times. See you next event. hopefully!
Yup, that's what it felt like, the traction control kicking in, but I could've sworn I was turning it off. I was hoping I'd be able to see the traction control light in the videos so I could tell, but I can't. Maybe one of the other two videos will be more enlightening once I get a hold of them. On one of the runs I remember turning off the traction control mid-run (and turning the windshield wipers on in the process :lol: ) so it'll be interesting to see if I get better acceleration after that in the video. At any rate I'm going to put a big post-it note on the gauge cluster to remind myself to turn it off next time.

Yeah, I didn't know about the novice class or X runs when I registered so I'll want to sign up for those next time. Some of my lines on the course were pretty "creative" because I had a little trouble getting my head up to look for where I was supposed to go next when exiting sections of the course I think (resulting in the previously noted expletives ;) ). I'm looking forward to getting more seat time and improving my driving.

-Dave
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Some of my lines on the course were pretty "creative" because I had a little trouble getting my head up to look for where I was supposed to go next.
Yeah, it's amazing how much better you drive when you can see where you're supposed to be going :lol: Last event (my first), I DNF'd one of my runs because I wasn't looking far enough ahead and completely whiffed on one of the gates. Looking ahead and really concentrating on the track walks were two things that really helped me this time. That and learning not to baby the car.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Will Kalman wrote:
Sebastian Rios wrote:Thanks again, I can't wait until it's official. Now I just gotta figure out exactly how wide it really is, I thought it was a little skinnier than it really is...8 cones in 3 runs, oops.
That car is fun-and-a-half! As long as you were hitting cones on the inside of turns, you'll just have to speed up to the reflexes of the car. I can imagine it's like a kart compared to a WRX. You guys should really enjoy it and I bet it fits Shauna a lot better than the high-silled WRX.

If you were hitting cones with the passenger side, note that the car is wider on the right than the left ;)

Much like a kart, Shauna has the bruises to prove it! My shoulders got a workout from that tiny steering wheel.
You are right, it going to fit Shauna just fine, she had a clean fun run that would have been like 2nd or 3rd in open. :thumbup:
As far as the Scandinavian flicks, everyone was talking about how loose it was, but both Shauna and I thought it was actually quite stable. I might actually loosen it up a bit more. I was surprised at how many stupid harsh inputs I was able to get away with. ;)
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Sebastian Rios wrote:
Will Kalman wrote:

Much like a kart, Shauna has the bruises to prove it! My shoulders got a workout from that tiny steering wheel.
You are right, it going to fit Shauna just fine, she had a clean fun run that would have been like 2nd or 3rd in open. :thumbup:
As far as the Scandinavian flicks, everyone was talking about how loose it was, but both Shauna and I thought it was actually quite stable. I might actually loosen it up a bit more. I was surprised at how many stupid harsh inputs I was able to get away with. ;)
People say the same thing about ken's sts car, but I think that thing is incredibly drivable.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:People say the same thing about ken's sts car, but I think that thing is incredibly drivable.
oh they'll spin alright, all it takes is a change of heart on corner entry. come in hot then chicken out and you'll quickly find out how much talent you have...or don't have. :lol:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

You can't have "commitment" issues.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:You can't have "commitment" issues.
You also need a "Catholic" approach to the throttle. No pullin' out...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Marshall Grice wrote:oh they'll spin alright, all it takes is a change of heart on corner entry. come in hot then chicken out and you'll quickly find out how much talent you have...or don't have. :lol:
'zactly

"You lift, you drift" - and if not, you weren't going fast enough! And if you were going fast enough, your hands will be shaking at the end of the run!

The real skill builder is trying to lose speed in the middle of a slalom without throwing the car away. :o :shock:
Chris Teague
Club: GRA
Car#: 60

Post by Chris Teague »

Mike Simanyi wrote:
So you mean... every event. Right Chris?

Mike
You mean we can go the whole event without changing anything? I've not seen that happen yet. :lol:
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

You mean we can go the whole event without changing anything?
Whoa! Now that's just crazy talk. :o
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

I swear I will figure out this driving thing eventually. one driving error and a cone(or two) and I could've had a good run. See below:
New Picture.jpg
New Picture.jpg (51.01 KiB) Viewed 17407 times
I'm the zero line, Tom's fastest competition run is the red line (which is slower then me by ~.4secs until i screw up the turn at the top of the hill!!!!) Note: the black line is Tom's fastest fun run at .8sec faster...:roll: I still got a ways until i catch that one

data acq still rocks!
Aaron Goldsmith

Marshall Grice wrote:I swear I will figure out this driving thing eventually. one driving error and a cone(or two) and I could've had a good run. See below:
I'm the zero line, Tom's fastest competition run is the red line (which is slower then me by ~.4secs until i screw up the turn at the top of the hill!!!!) Note: the black line is Tom's fastest fun run at .8sec faster...:roll: I still got a ways until i catch that one

data acq still rocks!
Agreed, especially when combined with video. :ugeek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGqXgom_dCA
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Will and I did a comparison in fun runs in the civie. We both ran in the 66's within a tenth or two. But the laps were very different with us blowing different parts. Gave us a theoretical lap of 64.7. Given 68.1 won the competition runs, I guess we all leave time out there.

I wonder if an STS 64 second run on that course would have gotten Mr. Hollis' attention? }:)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Hey uber geek.

What data acq is that in Nancy's car? I'd like to combine video and data. I see you can do that with the DL1 software I've been playing with.

54mph is painful. Gesh.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Aaron is using the trackvision software with the maxq daq.

I think i just got one upped. damn it!
Tin Bui

Post by Tin Bui »

I also got the Trackvision software, but using a Traqmate.

Here's my last lap. Beware of the F'bomb at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkQG-299BJk

Blip.tv has better video quality:
http://blip.tv/file/944498
Last edited by Tin Bui on Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Woah Aaron - how did you do that? Do you import the MaxQ data into Trackvision? :ugeek:
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Aaron Goldsmith

Max Hayter wrote:Woah Aaron - how did you do that? Do you import the MaxQ data into Trackvision? :ugeek:
It's totaly a secret.. and yes.. haha.

I'm suprised no one has talked about the fact that they got to have Fun Runs at lunch AND after the event, plus X-runs.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

That was the SHIZ-NIT! I love all the info at the bottom...felt like I was watching an F! race. Interesting to see the G circle at different point on the course.
==============