Divisional Results from San Diego are up!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Re: Divisional Results from San Diego are up!

Post by Robert Puertas »

Michael Palero wrote:Oh wow. I noticed the turds only gather around the two grooves in my rear Kumhos. We picked up so much our rears are almost conical. We have nothing in the front.
Cool.

The Hoosiers on the Noble had the opposite issue. The rears are clean and the fronts are now 1" larger in diameter.
Of course since there were only 3 places where I was able to give that thing full throttle, you can imagine why even the stickiest rubber was having trouble hanging on...
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Robert Puertas wrote:
The Hoosiers on the Noble had the opposite issue. The rears are clean and the fronts are now 1" larger in diameter.
Of course since there were only 3 places where I was able to give that thing full throttle, you can imagine why even the stickiest rubber was having trouble hanging on...
I liked watching that machine! It's something you'd usually see sitting on clean grass or in a booth somewhere.

What SCCA classes would it fit in? XP?
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Michael Palero wrote:What SCCA classes would it fit in? XP?
I don't think it meets any of the production number requirements, and is not explicitly listed. So mod (E?).

Jay W
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote: That is an SD issue... We get that tire turd pick up every time we run there, typically it is much worse the second day. I use to think it was all the Hoosier turds wanting to become a Kumho. But know I think it is all the ST tires that want to be a race tire. Either way, it makes the car loose.

The build up issue may be worse down there now due to the kart races. I would guess the kart tires are very soft compared to anything we run on a car, so as soon as we cross over there old track we pick stuff up.
A lot of what you kept on the tires was probably that last turn, I saw huge chunks flying off of race tires just to be picked up by the next person to come through the finish.

And man, when our ST tires are picken up OPR, you KNOW there's some rubber on the course.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I've got nearly a solid inch of build up on my outer right rear. I've never seen any OPR build up that bad.

Should have picked up one of C2's tire scrappers.

Or I'll just rotate and do some burnouts.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

All that OPR will be scrubbed off at El Toro. :D
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
That is an SD issue... We get that tire turd pick up every time we run there, typically it is much worse the second day. I use to think it was all the Hoosier turds wanting to become a Kumho. But know I think it is all the ST tires that want to be a race tire. Either way, it makes the car loose.

The build up issue may be worse down there now due to the kart races. I would guess the kart tires are very soft compared to anything we run on a car, so as soon as we cross over there old track we pick stuff up.
Well, F125 uses softer tires than most other karts use and I picked up way more than I left there.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Reijo Silvennoinen
Car#: 60

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

There could be something to what you are saying Jason.

I know at the end of the day, Ron actually thought that the Hoosiers were worn out. Instead the central grooves were filled in with OPR! The rubber was literally melted onto the rear tires. There was a little bit on the fronts but nothing compared to the rears!

I don't know how long the OPR would stay on tires, but I was sideways for the first two runs including the big, top-of-the-hill sweeper so I assumed that the tires would have been cleaned off by that time. Maybe they were overheated by then?

In any case, I tried everything I could conjure up to keep the car going by car set-up (shocks, sway bar settings) and then finally resorting to an easy launch off the line on the last run on Sunday (in order to not heat up the tires) and driving extra carefully in order to avoid sliding the rear. By the time I got to the typical down-hill, off-camber, right turn at the far end (NE corner), the grip was diminished, front and rear - especially the rear.

Coming into the slalom, I was getting wheel spin through 1st gear like a drag race car, short-shifted to 2nd in the slalom in order to get traction and still spun the rears in 2nd despite being out of VTEC on the S2000 - think power of a Civic! After that it was slide-city all the way to the finish. :roll:

It was an interesting experience. I'm still not sure how that can be avoided in the future - ideas? I note that George and Joey did not seem to have this problem - George? The reason I say that is because I could not hold anywhere near full throttle around the big top-of-the-hill turn - Saturday nor Sunday on any of my runs.

Maybe our tires got too hot and consequently picked up more rubber than normal? I remember putting my hand on the tires after the 1st/2nd runs both days and they were not overly hot after the first runs. Mind you, we watered the tires for all runs following the 1st run (this is excluding the 1st one). In fact on the last run I watered the tires doubly to see if that would help (marginally better but only for about 1/2 of the run).

Also, I have run many times at San Diego over the past couple of years and never experienced this effect before.

One last thought: The karts ran directly before my runs as well as some XP cars which may have been on slicks.

Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:All that OPR will be scrubbed off at El Toro. :D

Solution: Friday's Test & Tune!!!

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Reijo Silvennoinen wrote:It was an interesting experience. I'm still not sure how that can be avoided in the future - ideas? I note that George and Joey did not seem to have this problem - George? The reason I say that is because I could not hold anywhere near full throttle around the big top-of-the-hill turn - Saturday nor Sunday on any of my runs.
Fomula V. Lots of Formula V. :lol:

We had the same problem as everyone else with OPR, though we did try to get it off as soon as the car came in. Cooled the tires after every run. Based on what I observed, I'd bet your tires were just a tad hotter! :mrgreen:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Nicole Wong
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 46

Post by Nicole Wong »

Points have been updated.

http://www.propartsusa.com/DivsionalPoints.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicole Wong
ProParts USA
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Nicole Nagler wrote:Points have been updated.

http://www.propartsusa.com/DivsionalPoints.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many of the classes are wrong with regard to posting the results in the wrong round. Please review.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Double check Mark Watson in ESP.

Also check the number of listed entrants in STS2.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Michael Palero wrote:What SCCA classes would it fit in? XP?
I don't think it meets any of the production number requirements, and is not explicitly listed. So mod (E?).

Jay W
In order to be legal for D&E Mod it needs to loosely resemble something in Appendix A.
That means it's an A-mod car.

That's right kids, you can put a carbon fiber Lotus Europa body on a tube frame sports racer chassis and be legal for D or E Mod, but the Noble and other kit cars like a Beck 550 Spyder are out... Write your letters to the SEB!