NOTLD - A REALLY IMPORTANT change to the flyer

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Re: NOTLD - A REALLY IMPORTANT change to the flyer

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Its not a fee... There just happens to be a cash discount that isn't well explained or documented.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Or maybe we just "mistakenly" charge cash customers too little.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Greg Peng wrote:
Mike Simanyi wrote:Regarding PayPal payments, it would be *much* better to pay with cash at the event. We do not have any method established at this time to accept event registration via PayPal, and if we do manage to implement that you'll pay a small service charge on top of the regular fees.
Be careful with this. PayPal has this in their policy:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... cy-archive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Payment Surcharges
Notice Date: March 25, 2001
Effective Date: March 31, 2001
Under Visa and MasterCard regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). In order to comply with these laws and regulations, PayPal has amended its User Agreement so that, effective March 31, 2001, customers may not charge a fee for accepting PayPal. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods).
It's not Cal Club adding the service charge, it's PayPal. Examle: I renewed my points card using PayPal. $30 went to the region and PayPal charged me $1 for the convenience.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Its not a fee... There just happens to be a cash discount that isn't well explained or documented.
Based on PayPal's table: If the monthly sales is between $0 - $3,000/month, for every transaction/sale we make, we (So Cal Solo II) get dinged 2.9% + 0.30cents. Thus a $30 point card would net us $28.80, so to make-up the difference I (voted on by the E-Board and/or Solo Committee during one of last year's meetings) added $1. Technically it should've been $1.20 but to be easier with numbers the board approved rounding to $1. And with the account now being setup (per Craig's recommendation) as a Money-Market account, we've made up that 0.20cents in spades per dividends the account has received per month. When the market was hot, interest was @4.5%. Now it's around @2%. But hey...2% is better than 0%.

So the more sales we make the LESS PayPal charges (i.e. if we made $100k/monthly sales, we'd get charged only 1.9%)
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Post by Casey Brier »

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Doug Teulie wrote:
In the past novice runs and X runs were not allowed. Working in the dark is more difficult.
I highly recommend we not allow novice runs for the NOTLD - I could be wrong, but you had to have participated in at least a couple of events before you could run NOTLD the last time I competed in one, but I could be confusing it with the SCNAX cup. It's difficult enough trying to keep novices on course in the day and far more challenging during a night event where it's difficult to see - not to mention trying to instruct a tired novice at 2 or 3 a.m.

I understand and mostly agree...

I just want to know if thy can come, or know if I need to tell them they can not.
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Giovanni Jaramillo

Casey Brier wrote:
Leonard Cachola wrote:
Doug Teulie wrote:
In the past novice runs and X runs were not allowed. Working in the dark is more difficult.
I highly recommend we not allow novice runs for the NOTLD - I could be wrong, but you had to have participated in at least a couple of events before you could run NOTLD the last time I competed in one, but I could be confusing it with the SCNAX cup. It's difficult enough trying to keep novices on course in the day and far more challenging during a night event where it's difficult to see - not to mention trying to instruct a tired novice at 2 or 3 a.m.

I understand and mostly agree...

I just want to know if thy can come, or know if I need to tell them they can not.
Well then e-mail the Event Master (Tom Phillips). Special circumstances and all, he can make exceptions (i.e. running out of order, new people, etc...). I know of two he has made, and I'm perfectly fine with those.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Yeah, why is solo$ a problem? Its a solution, gesh. Our only problem with solo$ is getting them current at registration in a timely fashion.
Not so much a problem but I'm guessing Tom wants to keep it simple at registration and plus we need COLD HARD CASH right now that's all.
Steve Ekstrand wrote:You better make damn sure its clear in big ol' neon blinking lights well ahead of time that its cash only at reg.
And yes I agree and that's why we're getting on the ball on this NOW so that we have plenty of time to get the word out. Maybe even a banner at the gate.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Gio-

You totally misunderstand what Greg brought up and what the Paypal agreement is saying.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Gio-

You totally misunderstand what Greg brought up and what the Paypal agreement is saying.
Oh I understand it. I know that we are "technically" in violation. So either I change the wording or we up the price of a points card.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Whoops. Not Gio. Surprise Bob misunderstood. I misread the post in a hurry.

Not as big of crime if Bob misunderstood. But its not Paypal adding the fee, its us. Alledgedly.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Alledgedly.
<wink, wink>Correct....alledgedly</wink, wink>
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Issues

1. People! Be prepared to pay cash
2. Friends! If your buddy screws up and forgets to bring cash, help them out.
3. Admins! Be prepared to be taking cash and figure out what you're going to do with it at the event and after the event.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Regarding novices, add this to the flyer...

"Novices - those having participated in less than three events - will be required to attend the Novice Course Walk at (some daylight hour)pm before they can obtain a driver's wristband."

TA-DA!!
Bob Beamesderfer

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Whoops. Not Gio. Surprise Bob misunderstood. I misread the post in a hurry.

Not as big of crime if Bob misunderstood. But its not Paypal adding the fee, its us. Alledgedly.
And here I thought PayPal was charging that.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Whoops. Not Gio. Surprise Bob misunderstood. I misread the post in a hurry.

And here I thought PayPal was charging that.
If you read on the page where you buy the points card, I don't mention the REAL reasons but now you know why we (Solo2.com) charge the extra buck.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

But its not Paypal adding the fee, its us. Alledgedly.
It looks like even though we're not allowed to allegedly add a surcharge, we are legally allowed to add a "handling fee."
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Yeah the handling fee is for online sales.... Regardless of the method of "online payment". Of course, we only have one method...
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Yeah, why is solo$ a problem? Its a solution, gesh. Our only problem with solo$ is getting them current at registration in a timely fashion.

You better make damn sure its clear in big ol' neon blinking lights well ahead of time that its cash only at reg.
Solo$ is a solution to a different problem. I personally suggest we plan on excluding Solo$ for this event, but it isn't my call. If Tom wants to go with that, I'll back it fully.

Guys, there's a lot going on behind the scenes right now due to Craig's passing. Please don't choose to be angry about things that are trivial in the long run. I want everyone to know we're trying to make it work the best way possible for the region.

Mike
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Issues

3. Admins! Be prepared to be taking cash and figure out what you're going to do with it at the event and after the event.
And make sure the change drawer is appropriately stocked.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Bob Beamesderfer

Mike Simanyi wrote:

You better make damn sure its clear in big ol' neon blinking lights well ahead of time that its cash only at reg.
Solo$ is a solution to a different problem. I personally suggest we plan on excluding Solo$ for this event, but it isn't my call. If Tom wants to go with that, I'll back it fully.

Mike
Do let us know. I for one will then cancel my entry because Solo$ is the money I have to spend on regional events.
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

Do we need the "cash" to pay for the lot?
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Giovanni Jaramillo

Doug Teulie wrote:Do we need the "cash" to pay for the lot?
There's more than just the "lot". There's porta-johns and the lights. As for the "cash", not sure.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovanni Jaramillo

KJ Christopher wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Issues

And make sure the change drawer is appropriately stocked.
Then I strongly recommend bringing EXACT CHANGE. Again this is all "circumstances beyond our control" so we're trying to make this as easy as possible for Tom Phillips (Event Chair) and Renee Angel (Solo Chairman).
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I suggest that the restriction on $100 bills be lifted until this is settled.
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Doug Teulie wrote:Do we need the "cash" to pay for the lot?
There's more than just the "lot". There's porta-johns and the lights. As for the "cash", not sure.
Yes I know,,,,,
We can't get to our money that is in the bank and we can't deposit more money in to the bank.
Solo$ are less of an issue if the lot, lights and all the other rental stuff is paid for.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's