ANSWERS TO NOTLD

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: ANSWERS TO NOTLD

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Bill Martin wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:Hey John,
May I please make a suggestion? Given the low light, it's going to be very difficult to see proper numbers and class designation much less crappy ones; can you be a real "N*zi" about this and make sure they don't pass tech w/o proper numbers (no tape, not on windows, contrasting color, at least 8") It is the rules (both national and local) and will give a real break for those out on course (a difficult assignment for the NOTLD) and the motorhome.
FWIW, I was assigned that job at Nationals once. What a bitch. Probably 50% don't meet the letter of the law. But most of those were close enough that head of tech redrew his line in the sand. So I'm with you totally, but how do you see this working? How does someone produce on the spot legal numbers/class when you don't want them to use tape? In fact how do you handle the fact that the graphics handed out to visitors isn't even close to legal? It's a good idea, but you kinda need a plan, not just inspiration. Think it over now or struggle with it later. -- Bill
World's off it's axis.....I'm in agreement with Bill M. I've tried to be the "class letters/numbers N*zi" and all I've gotten was mean, dirty looks at tech or when walking around in grid, telling people their car was not incompliance, so I gave up. You have to pick and choose your battles. We (as a region) would have to come down really HARD on this to the point of denying the runs as if they were driving with no helmet on. It won't make people happy but if this is a problem during daylight events, can you imagine during our yearly night event? We have enough problems as it is with this event, we don't need another one. But then again, when we did limit it to points card holders, usually they were compliant...but not all.

My 2 cents.
Jeff Ringer
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

how many runs are we getting people !!??

we have an old friend of mine as a new memeber ! and he was asking me.....i am assuming 3 or 4 and hoping for 4 or more..
cant wait to see him run his legal 420 hp sk1/fs car :evil:
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

What's the car?

We did four last year and the eventmaster kept apologizing. I thought it was fine, but we had some delays and it ran a little long. I was the last car on course with two red flags. And then another I swerved around a cone in course figuring I'd be shot if I took a 7th run while everybody waited.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jeff Ringer
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

two ton 300c srt8
425hp 4150 lbs

with its better then 10-1 power/weight , better suspension on paper and larger 20x9wheels i wonder how it could do against shelby mustangs in fs
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

My road racing friend has one and he can drive it. Regularly embarrasses real track cars and sports cars at big Willow. 1:40 flat on street tires.

The problem is the tires with 20inch rims in stock class. I think there might be an optional all season rim for that car that's 17x8 but I never was able to confirm that. And 18" rim and the 295's would be golden on that car. Its insanely heavier but it can do some amazing things. The power rating is even soft. I've seen those cars make 380-400 at the wheels stock. For a RWD automatic with insanely heavy tires and wheels, that's a lot of crank power.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

two ton 300c srt8
425hp 4150 lbs
Finally, another land barge I can compare with! I'd be really interested to see how Moby runs against that.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Bill Schenker wrote:Hey John,

May I please make a suggestion? Given the low light, it's going to be very difficult to see proper numbers and class designation much less crappy ones; can you be a real "N*zi" about this and make sure they don't pass tech w/o proper numbers (no tape, not on windows, contrasting color, at least 8") It is the rules (both national and local) and will give a real break for those out on course (a difficult assignment for the NOTLD) and the motorhome.

Thanks for considering this,

Bill

I bring this up 'cause there were problems with this @ the Divisional.
Yes please! I'll even volunteer to be the Number Police. Having worked course last year and not being able to read about a third of the numbers that went by was very frustrating: we finally got down to radioing in "the white (insert brand here) that just passed Station 4, +1 cone."

Just to confirm, Solo number and classes are only covered by section 3.7 in the rulebook? We don't use any other references (like the GCR) for this?

PS: chrome numbers are not high contrast, so if you have 'em, please bring along tape to cover them.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

chrome on white!.. :P

Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Jeff Shyu wrote:chrome on white!.. :P

Fail.

No offense to the car's owners, but those are possibly the worst numbers you could have on a car, especially at night. Could not read them at all last year, so we radioed in "white Mitsubishi" a lot... could never tell if it was 72 or 172 on the door.

I don't see it in the Solo rulebook, but my copy of the GCR specifically says chrome or reflective numbers are not allowed. That's why I asked the question.
John Williams

Post by John Williams »

I didn't renew my points card this year, Can I show up the night of and run if I pay all my fees. IN CASH. I have run a few events this year just never thought about the points card.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

John- I haven't even read the flyer since I'll in Packwood. But I think they dropped the pointscard holders only rule of years past. I think you're fine to run as normal since you obviously have more than 3 events under your belt... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
John Williams

Post by John Williams »

Thanks Steve.
Yea if I remember right I think I've done a few.
Also I have no lights at all. No head lights or blinkers for that matter. So I guess I'll run I the first group right?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Preps and Mods and Karts and HIST all run first heat. But if you're in CSM you might be SOL in 3rd (technically you should have lights in CSM).
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

John Williams wrote:I didn't renew my points card this year, Can I show up the night of and run if I pay all my fees. IN CASH. I have run a few events this year just never thought about the points card.
John, as Steve mentioned you don't need your points card for NOTLD this year, but you can still purchase it online, then pre-register online, then it'll be easier for you at registration just to pay your fee in cash and be done with it. Also the registration folks would appreciate it more if you were already pre-registered :)
John Williams

Post by John Williams »

Thanks Guys.
I've been thinking about going to hist anyway.
So now I'll go and get my card so I don't to cause to much friction at reg,
Giovanni Jaramillo

John Williams wrote:So now I'll go and get my card so I don't to cause to much friction at reg,
Got your Paypal payment John. I had a question so I replied back to your e-mail. Thanks.
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

So, question. Why does CalClub hold NOTLD during the part of the year where the days are the longest, versus doing the event in say December? Sunset for NOTLD is 7:43pm but in dec it would have been 2 hours earlier. Just curious.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The idea is to escape the heat.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

John Williams wrote:Thanks Guys.
I've been thinking about going to hist anyway.
So now I'll go and get my card so I don't to cause to much friction at reg,
John: you're points card has been processed online and you can now pre-register.
James Yom
Current Solo Director

Post by James Yom »

will there be X-runs at this event?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

No X-Runs according to posted flyer.

X-runs are evil. :roll:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
James Yom
Current Solo Director

Post by James Yom »

gotcha thanks. I'm not an x-run fan either, but I can't believe a region as big as Cal Club doesn't have a test and tune right before Nationals for those that are going. I find it ironic that a club that has "practices" before events doesn't have one the month before Nationals.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Nationals is evil. :roll:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

James Yom wrote:gotcha thanks. I'm not an x-run fan either, but I can't believe a region as big as Cal Club doesn't have a test and tune right before Nationals for those that are going. I find it ironic that a club that has "practices" before events doesn't have one the month before Nationals.
We've had them as long as I can remember, concrete for concrete and asphault for asphault. Just bad scheduling this year.

BTW, Ekstrand is evil. :roll:

Jay W
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Nationals is evil. :roll:
Jayson Woodruff wrote: BTW, Ekstrand is evil. :roll:
Jay W
Ekstrand at Nationals = Ultimate Evil ?

i'm bringing a can of phosphorescent spray paint to help out with hard to read numbers :thumbup:
it's only paranoia if your wrong