2009 Nationals Site

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Re: 2009 Nationals Site

Post by Bill Martin »

I'm hoping somebody knows more about this than me, but from what I remember hearing, Canada picks a Championship Day and several regional championships take place at the same time across the country. I think they somehow analyze the results...maybe something like a PAX result, and then declare a national champion. Not at all sure about this...I was hearing it third hand some time ago. From Gary Milligan I think. Kinda sounds like the future to me.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Paging Reijo.....
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
In drag racing the oil crisis in the seventies brought about tow money to the world finals for the top 6-10 (its varied over the years) in each eliminator.
The club racing Run-offs still have a tow fund. The hard part about doing this with solo would be convincing everyone to pay a higher entry fee so money could be put into a pot for the top guys to go to natls.
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:The club racing Run-offs still have a tow fund. The hard part about doing this with solo would be convincing everyone to pay a higher entry fee so money could be put into a pot for the top guys to go to natls.
It would sure make qualifying to be one of the "top guys" more of an event than the Nationals itself. More money involved.

Never happen -- Bill
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Bill Martin wrote:
It would sure make qualifying to be one of the "top guys" more of an event than the Nationals itself. More money involved.

Never happen -- Bill
I agree. I think the closest thing we will see is the PPUSA Div series. Take the money you won, if you won any, and put it towards your trip to natls. :thumbup: Not counting contingency I got enough to pay for half my gas for natls. 8-)
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:The club racing Run-offs still have a tow fund. The hard part about doing this with solo would be convincing everyone to pay a higher entry fee so money could be put into a pot for the top guys to go to natls.
I'm thinkin' you'd get more support for a fund to keep the top guys away..... :lol:
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Bill Martin wrote:

Never happen -- Bill
I agree. I think the closest thing we will see is the PPUSA Div series. Take the money you won, if you won any, and put it towards your trip to natls. :thumbup: Not counting contingency I got enough to pay for half my gas for natls. 8-)
Not counting contingency, I got enough to pay for my trip to the first round! :lol:

I agree that we need a winner takes all to declare a National Champion, but I don't think it needs to always be held in the center of the country. The people that have a real shot at the title will go all the way across the county I think.
Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Not really. Even now, guys that can win, should win, don't show up. It is not like everyone can just pay whatever it takes to drive across the country.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Reijo Silvennoinen
Club: CASOC
Car#: 60

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

Bill Martin wrote:I'm hoping somebody knows more about this than me, but from what I remember hearing, Canada picks a Championship Day and several regional championships take place at the same time across the country. I think they somehow analyze the results...maybe something like a PAX result, and then declare a national champion. Not at all sure about this...I was hearing it third hand some time ago. From Gary Milligan I think. Kinda sounds like the future to me.
Bill, that was the case from 1972 until 1992 inclusive. And Gary would have known of and competed in the series over many years. In fact the organizer of the event was Alan Rae who lived in Vancouver during that time and thus well-known to him.

All those years, the Canadian program was run by two people, both of whom I know since they both currently live in Calgary: Alan Rae (retired and still goes to Packwood/SCCA Nationals in his D-Mod Caterham Super 7 - although last year he shared Ambrose Fung's red Elise in SS) and Brian Smetaniuk (doing solo 1 in a Formula Atlantic).

There was no one to take over following that and there was no National Championship in Canada until 1999. Each region slowly "descended" into their respective abys, changing and modifying their rules locally to suit themselves/locally. The rule situation was a mess. :?

A group of 11 or so people got together over the internet and decided that there should be a National Championship in a single location. I was among that group. We never met once for a meeting in person and organized the event over the internet which was pretty cool.

The old "many locations" format was not deemed to be fair nor possible to realistically compare times due to differences in weather, running surface, time of day cars were running, actual dimensions of the course (note that the course had to be designed for the smallest lot in the country that the event would be run on! In 1992 when I ran in Calgary, that meant a figure 8 type of layout with loops and cross-overs being done....think I'm dizzy thinking about it!

In 1999 and 2000 the event was held in Winnipeg - more or less the geographic center of Canada - directly north of Topeka about 14 hours driving time. Attendance was low and the Winnipeg Sports Car Club (by the way, I think they have 17 people going to Topeka in Sept!) did not want to lose money in the future so that idea was abandoned in favor of having Eastern and Western Championships - Prince Edward Island (PEI) and Calgary with one of them being designated the official championship. The idea was that the Championship would be alternated between East and West. In 2005 it was held in Red Deer (just north of Calgary about 90 miles) of which I was the chair and included an Evo School with Kevin Dietz, Ron Bauer(?), Dwight Mitchell and I think Randy Noll (?) who also stayed to compete. In the East in 2005, the eastern championship was held in Montreal.

Few people travelled across the country and thus the "National" was almost more of a regional championship in reality.

This was changed to a single location format in 2006 with the event held in Toronto, 2007 in Vancouver and this year at Slemon Park in PEI which is being held this very weekend:

http://autoslalom.rgisolutions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, there you go, a brief history of autoslalom (autocross) in Canada starting in 1972!
:D
Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Thanx for that. Doesn't sound too promising. I think if the central gathering fails due to gas prices (i.e. social engineering) the best we're likely to get is two or three Regional/National Championships. No attempt to duplicate course design. Perhaps they can assess the results with a PAX type approach and "publish" the resulting class winners, but no one will take it very seriously...more like just for fun.

I know some of you think Nationals will carry on regardless of fuel cost...I think you're kidding yourselves. Cross country participation will reduce to a handfull, and again, the event will lose true national status. I'd bet there's a few years remaining and then it will be radically changed...or gone. Well see. I just sign up for one at a time.

-- Bill
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Bill Martin wrote:I know some of you think Nationals will carry on regardless of fuel cost...I think you're kidding yourselves. Cross country participation will reduce to a handfull, and again, the event will lose true national status. I'd bet there's a few years remaining and then it will be radically changed...or gone. Well see. I just sign up for one at a time.
What happened the last time this happened in the early 70's?
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins