Car Rentals for Nationals

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Car Rentals for Nationals

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

I've looked at Thrifty and Enterprise. Both have reasonable rates, but once you go to register, they tack on almost another $100 in fees. Is this something that will be true of all the rental agencies? Is there any way to avoid these fees?

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

This is for a 1 week rental (9/13-9/20) with pickup/drop off at the Kansas City airport (MCI).

Stephen
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Re: Car Rentals for Nationals

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Are they 'Airport' fees? DFW tacks on enough to nearly double the price. Compare against some off site places.

Jay W
Randy Chase
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Check out kayak.com

I have had silly cheap rates for Nationals. Once it was like $16 a day
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

I've rented several cars for Nats before and have never found a great deal. Depending on where you are staying and/or who you know, it may be better to get a shuttle to/from the airport and rent something in Topeka. Or rent something you can return in Topeka and catch a ride back to the airport, etc...

Just make sure you get something with a handbrake :)
Randy Chase
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Using Kayak and carrentals.com I see-

Enterprise for $10.49 a day, plus taxes. Total is $75 for a week. Seems reasonable?

Dollar, Thrifty, Advantage all have deals around $12 a day too.

Side story... a few years ago we rented a PT Cruiser. If it was the car I recall, it had the window controls on the center dash. I had no idea and when I got to the toll booth, what followed was a couple minutes of fun.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Don't let Brian Robertson drive your rental car.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Are they 'Airport' fees? DFW tacks on enough to nearly double the price. Compare against some off site places.

Jay W
Same fees for onsite and offsite (enterprise). Effectively doubles rental price. I've found rentals for $103/wk and then they tack on another $100 in fees.

Kayak was no help either.

I looked at renting in Topeka, but we probably won't arrive in Topeka until 6pm and the rental places are closed. Once you factor in cost of the shuttle for two each way, we are back at the $100 surcharge. If there are any suggestions, I'm listening. Otherwise it looks like picking up the car from the airport may be the most practical option.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Mari Clements
Car#: 130

Post by Mari Clements »

When are you getting in and leaving? You might well be able to hitch a ride to Topeka with someone.

So as to not miss an insane amount of school, Jonathan will arrive at Kansas City International late Thursday night (before the ProSolo Finale) and will fly out Wednesday afternoon.
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

We are still trying to figure out the travel once we are in Topeka. We arrive in Kansas City @ 3:15 on 9/13 and leave at noon on 9/20.

Any chance of hitching a ride with somebody to/from the airport on these days?

We'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Topeka West. Will anybody be nearby that we can hitch a ride to/from HPK during the week? Thanks.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair