2008 Solo National Championship, Sept 16-19

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

James Wilson
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 61

Re: 2008 Solo National Championship, Sept 16-19

Post by James Wilson »

James Yom wrote:
Whoever buys Stemler's car, I hope he's a hopeless driver that isn't competitive and the car blends into autox oblivion (like Hui's old Porsche, the BS car to have).
Oh snap! That guy lurks here, be careful ;)

That car is not gone yet, possibly being converted back to the BS setup as we speak to do some damage in 2009............ }:)
'00 Subaru Legacy
http://www.Cam-FX.com
United States of Texas
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Christine Berry wrote:SCCAforums.com has now launched their Pick the Winners Competition! They give prizes to the people who pick the most winners but everyone just seems to have fun with picking their local favorite.

Pick The Winners
Someone else vote for me so I can be tied at 3 with Marshall, hahaha.

Edit: HA, we're tied at 4 now!
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

The Run/Work Order has now been posted!

http://scca.com/eventitems.aspx?item=29 ... 2143&hub=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Event/run%20work.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Christine Berry wrote:SCCAforums.com has now launched their Pick the Winners Competition! They give prizes to the people who pick the most winners but everyone just seems to have fun with picking their local favorite.

Pick The Winners
Someone else vote for me so I can be tied at 3 with Marshall, hahaha.

Edit: HA, we're tied at 4 now!
Well not the same for Schenker! :)

http://sccaforums.com/pickthewinners/re ... o.aspx#CSP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's losing to his "tire-warmer" :D
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

No disrespect to Mike, who has really become a top flight driver. But I still got give the big edge to Bill. I guess people have just learned to fear the Schenker codriver.... :)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:No disrespect to Mike, who has really become a top flight driver. But I still got give the big edge to Bill. I guess people have just learned to fear the Schenker codriver.... :)
I don't know Steve, Mike was awfully close to Bill on Monday when a slight oil drip shut down the Miata. Bill was valiantly trying to keep a smile, but at the rate Mike was improving, Bill would have lost by 23 seconds by end of day. Hopefully in NY they have slower co-drivers. :lol:

That said, I'm with you on this Steve. I'm throwing all conventional wisdom aside and picking Bill also. Not that MIke isn't capable, just not enough seat time before the big show. :)
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

George Schilling wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:No disrespect to Mike, who has really become a top flight driver. But I still got give the big edge to Bill. I guess people have just learned to fear the Schenker codriver.... :)
I don't know Steve, Mike was awfully close to Bill on Monday when a slight oil drip shut down the Miata. Bill was valiantly trying to keep a smile, but at the rate Mike was improving, Bill would have lost by 23 seconds by end of day. Hopefully in NY they have slower co-drivers. :lol:

That said, I'm with you on this Steve. I'm throwing all conventional wisdom aside and picking Bill also. Not that Mike isn't capable, just not enough seat time before the big show. :)
Not knocking Bill, as he's a great driver. But when it's "showtime" he's not as cool under pressure as Mike. To Mike, Nationals might as well be a "double-practice" at El Toro.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

A double practice might be all it takes for Mike. :)

But really does it matter??? Scotty Fraser is going to do the smack down dance on Aro, Simanyi and Schenker... Though I do fear Mr. Tim the Finn.

But Schenker would be a MORE than deserving Champ (just don't tell him I said that) and I'd do handsprings in the paddock to see Simanyi in a jacket (don't tell him either).
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:A double practice might be all it takes for Mike. :)

But really does it matter??? Scotty Fraser is going to do the smack down dance on Aro, Simanyi and Schenker... Though I do fear Mr. Tim the Finn.

But Schenker would be a MORE than deserving Champ (just don't tell him I said that) and I'd do handsprings in the paddock to see Simanyi in a jacket (don't tell him either).
The smart money is going with Shhhhnecker, as long as I can keep him from fabricating a vacuum formed carbon fiber airbox, new muffler bearings, polishing his throwout bearing surface and balancing his fuel pump... on Wednesday night in the Avard's hallway.

A calm Bill will be a focused Bill will be a winning Bill.

And if he doesn't do that, I'm not gonna show him any mercy!

Mike
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

I'm not sure who will come out on top in the Simanyi/Schenker show down, but I'm awfully glad that Annie talked me into hanging around for the rest of the week to watch. If either one beats Frazier, I'll be doing cartwheels with Steve!

Down goes Frazier!! :mrgreen:
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I like Scott, but yeah, I'm pulling for my homies.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

Michael Palero wrote:
David Avard wrote: Wow, 8 entrants in GP, and none of the trophy winners from last year entered yet. In fact, only one of the top 6. The "locals" are sand-bagging. :)
Who usually wins GP?
Since GP was created in 2006, there has only been one winner: Bo Rader from Wichita, although he is a Kansas Region member. Last year, the first 7 (of 9) in GP and 1st and 3rd (of 3) in GPL were from Kansas. Which is funny, because you'd think they'd all be rusted here. :D

Of course, Steve Bollinger won in a Sprite in DP in 2005, the year before GP was created.
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Steve Glusman
Car#: 424

Post by Steve Glusman »

Who usually wins GP?

Is there any lottery for who comes in last in GP or overall PAXed ?
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Steve Glusman wrote:Who usually wins GP?

Is there any lottery for who comes in last in GP or overall PAXed ?
uh..
David Avard wrote:Since GP was created in 2006, there has only been one winner: Bo Rader
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

2008 SCCA Tire Rack Solo National Championships Newsletter

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

2008 SCCA Tire Rack Solo National Championships Confirmation Newsletter
September, 2008

36th Thank you! 36th

Thank you for being a part of the celebration of the 36th Annual SCCA Tire Rack Solo National Championships. Please take the time to read through this newsletter before coming to Nationals as it contains very useful information. Specifically, complete schedule of events, specific run/work order and supplemental rules. This and the Drivers Information Manual you will receive at registration should help make this an enjoyable experience.

36th Weather Information 36th
For the latest weather information visit http://www.accuweather.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and use 66619 as the zip code location information.
Be prepared for all kinds of weather from jackets, rain gear to shorts and sunscreen.

36th Site Access 36th

24 hour access providing proper credentials are acquired and displayed.*

Gates Open: ¬PLEASE NOTE THE NEW TIME!
1:30 pm Thursday, September 11

Gates Close:
9 am Saturday, September 20

Quiet time must be observed between 10pm -6am.

Reminder: For the Solo Nationals, in the interest of fairness and to allow SCCA officials and HPT site workers the proper amount of time to prepare the Solo Nationals site for you, there will be absolutely no admittance, except for pertinent officials, to the site prior to 1:30 pm on Thursday, September 11.

*All persons must sign the Release and Waiver form and obtain a wristband. Wristbands will be your credentials and are required for access to the facility at all times. The wristband will be worn either on the wrist or attached to the individuals exterior clothing from the waist up on front of the body, in plain site. A wristband can not be obtained between 7:00 pm and 6:30 am. If you do not have a wristband, you will not be allowed access to the facility.

36th Paddock Parking 36th

Before entering the site through the tunnel, see the SCCA Paddock Officials located in the Registration Building for assignment of a paddock space. This year a person will be allowed to save one extra space in addition to their own. The competitor reserving spaces must provide the following for each reserved space:
First/Last name of competitor that will occupy the reserved space
Class/car number of competitor occupying the space (if known)
Competitor’s estimated date/time of arrival (Note: Upon arrival, recipients of reserved spaces must visit the SCCA Paddock trailer to claim their space. If not claimed within 24 hours, reserved spaces will be subject to reassignment.

36th Trailer Parking 36th
As in the past, there is a designated storage area outside of paddock for “unloaded trailers”, referred to as the VIP Parking area, which should make the paddock area generally less congested. Access to this area will be from 8am – 5pm daily. Please keep these times in mind when unloading and loading your trailers.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

36th Registration/Tech Times 36th
REGISTRATION: Saturday, Sep. 13 9:00 - 11:30 a.m. & 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, Sep. 14 9:00 - 11:30 a.m. & 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Monday, Sep. 15 8:00 - 11:30 a.m. & 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Sep. 16 7:00 - 8:00 a.m. & 1:00 - 4:30p.m.
Wednesday, Sep. 17 10 a.m.-12 p.m. & 1:00 - 4:30 p.m.
TECH: PLEASE NOTE NEW DAYS & TIMES
Saturday, Sep. 13 3:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, Sep. 14 7:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Monday, Sep. 15 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
(Monday times are limited to Tues/Wed. competitors only)
Tuesday, Sep. 16 7:00 - 10:00 a.m.
Wednesday, Sep. 17 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.

36th Single Tech 36th

This year there will be one single tech, meaning if you tech for the PS Finale or National Test & Tune you are teched for Nationals.

In the past the required Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Championship decal was placed in the registration packet. Since you can be teched before Nationals registration begins, the Nationals decal will not be in the National registration packet but will be available at the Tech/Impound/Protest/Information Building. REMINDER: Per Supplementary Regulations E.5 placement of required decals will be checked before the car passes tech. If you need to put this decal or other required decals on magnetics please stop by and pick up the decals before going through tech.

For further information, please contact Doug Gill, Solo Tech Manager, at dgill@scca.com or solotech@scca.com or at the Tech building when you get to HPT.

36th Town Hall Meetings 36th
Held at the HPT Pavilion

Monday, September 15th
Solo Town Hall: 3:30pm to 5pm

Tuesday, September 16
BOD and STAFF Solo Town Hall: ½ hr after the end of competition.

36th Parties & Ceremonies 36th

The Wednesday and Friday Awards Buffet Reception and Ceremony require presentation of Dinner tickets for admittance. All Receptions and Ceremonies are free to the competitors. Additional adult dinner tickets are available for $25 and children 10 and under are $15. The Wednesday Awards Reception and Ceremony are held at Exhibition Hall, Kansas Expocentre. The Friday Awards Reception and Ceremony will be in the Sunflower Ballroom, Capital Plaza Hotel, next to the Expocentre.

36th Special Awards! 36th
The presentation of the Solo Cup and Driver of Eminence will be presented at the Wednesday Awards Ceremony.

36th Raffles Are Back Again! 36th

Everyone wants to win something! When you check-in at Registration you will receive a raffle ticket. Complete the ticket information by putting your name and member# on it and turning it in at the Information area (inside the Tech building on the East side). Throughout the competition, SCCA will draw names and announce the winners over the PA system as well as post the winners name on a bulletin board inside the Information area. Winners need to pickup their prizes at the Information area (prizes will NOT be mailed) prior to leaving the competition. All unclaimed prizes will be distributed Friday night at the Awards ceremony.
36th Rookies = T-shirts 36th

Are you a Rookie? Did you tell us on your entry? The region that brings the most ‘first-timer’s “to the National Championships will receive a t-shirt proclaiming – (Insert Region name) brought the most Rookies to the 2008 Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Championship. The t-shirt will have the region logo and the Championship logo on it. Regions are divided into categories based on size, so don’t think that just because you are a small region that you do not have a chance. All registered entrants (prior to the first late fee) from the winning regions will receive the t-shirts. Winners will be posted at Information, located on the east side of the Tech Bldg and may pick up their t-shirt at Information as well.

36th Schedule of Activities 36th

Please note that during competition, the courses will be open for walking prior to the 3rd heat each day for a maximum of 30 minutes… be quick!

TIME ACTIVITY LOCATION

Saturday, Sept. 13
9:00- 11:30 am Registration HPT Entrance
1:00 – 4:00 pm Registration HPT Entrance
3:00 – 6:00 pm Technical Inspection Tech Building HPT

Sunday, Sept. 14
7:00 - 1:00 pm Technical Inspection Tech Building HPT
7:00 – 1:00 pm Nat’l Test N Tune Check in Tech Building HPT
8:00 – 3:00 pm Nat’l Test N Tune East Course Area HPT
8:00 – 3:00 pm Nat’l Test N Tune West Course Area HPT
9:00 -11:30 am Registration HPT Entrance
1:00 - 4:00 pm Registration HPT Entrance

Monday, Sept. 15
8:00 am Courses open for walking East/West Courses HPT
8:00 – 11:30 am Registration HPT Entrance
1:00 – 3:00 pm Registration HPT Entrance
1:00 – 4:00 pm Tech (Tue/Wed competitors only) Tech Building HPT
3:30 – 5:00pm Solo Town Hall SEB, Staff HPT Pavilion
& committees
5:30 pm Evo School Heritage Hall

Tuesday, Sept. 16
6:30 am Courses open for walking East/West Courses HPT
7:00 – 8:00 am Registration HPT Entrance
7:00 – 10:00 am Tech Tech Building HPT
8:00 am Heat 0 –Formula Juniors East/West Courses HPT
8:30 am Heats 1 & 2 East/West Courses HPT
12:00 pm (approx.) Heats 3, 4, & 5
1:00 – 4:30 pm Registration HPT Entrance
½ hr after competition BOD Town Hall HPT Pavilion
6:00 – ? Topeka Night on the Town

Wednesday, Sept. 17
8:00 am Heat 0 – Formula Juniors East/West Courses HPT
8:30 am Heats 1 & 2
10:00 – 12:00 pm Registration HPT Entrance
1:00 – 4:30 pm Registration HPT Entrance
1:00 – 4:00 pm Tech Tech Building HPT

5:30 – 9:00 pm Tire Rack Awards Ceremony Expocentre- Exhibition Hall
(Tickets MUST be presented for entrance)
6:00 – 7:00pm Buffet Reception
7:00 – 9:00pm Awards Ceremony

Thursday, Sept. 18
8:00 am Heats 1 & 2
6:00 – ? Topeka Night on the Town

Friday, Sept. 19
8:00 am Heats 1 & 2
5:30 - 9:00 pm Tire Rack Awards Ceremony Sunflower Ballroom -
(Tickets MUST be presented for entrance) Capital Plaza Hotel
6:00 – 7:00pm Buffet Reception
7:00 – 9:00pm Awards Ceremony

36th HPT & What You Need to Know 36th

Welcome to the 2008 race season at Heartland Park Topeka. If this is your first time with us, we hope you enjoy your visit. There are several new buildings and new areas of our facility. Please take time to familiarize yourself with these changes, and welcome to Heartland Park Topeka.
Asphalt Parking--PLEASE READ: Because there are several areas with new asphalt, Heartland Park Topeka requires that you use blocks when setting up your pit area. Punching holes in the new asphalt will result in you paying for the damage caused. RV’s, tow vehicles, race trailers, jack stands, jacks, or anything that comes in contact with the asphalt is subject to this rule. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Fluid Spills: In accordance with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations, Heartland Park Topeka is equipped to clean up fluid spills in the pit area. Please contact HPT track personnel if any fluid (oil, antifreeze, fuel, etc) is spilled in your pit area. Fluids left on the asphalt can destroy new asphalt areas. There is no charge for the cleanup, but we ask that you notify track personnel as soon as possible. In the Paddock – HPT policies will be enforced including no minors operating pit vehicles, and appropriate conduct while on site. Your assistance in observing these rules is appreciated. It is required at HPT to use the waste fluid facilities located near the north end of the pit areas, as well as in the south end of each garage complex. No waste fluids should be dumped into trash containers.

Bark Park: Heartland Park Topeka is a pet friendly facility. The Bark Park has been established
to better serve your pet’s needs while keeping our facility clean for everyone. Pet owners should take
their pet to the park for fun and recreation and as always, all pets must remain on their leash. Also please remember to clean up after your pets.

Golf Carts: Golf carts will be checked in and out at the HPT Registration building at Gate E. A usage waiver will be provided and the golf cart renter is responsible for their cart at all times.

Souvenirs: Be sure to stop by the Official Heartland Park Topeka Souvenir Store to pick up some Heartland Park Topeka merchandise. T-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, key chains, and much more are all available.

36th 2008 Run/Work Order 36th
2008 RUN/WORK ORDER

Tues/East - Wed/West
Heat Run Work
1 FS,DM,DPL,BSPL,GPL DS,STXL,XPL
2 STX, ASL, XP GP,DP,DSL,BSP
3 FSL,DML,DS AS,DPL,BSPL,GPL
4 STXL,DP,BSP,GP,XPL FS,ASL,DM
5 AS,DSL DML,FSL,STX,XP

Tues/West - Wed/East
Heat Run Work
0 FJR A, FJR B -
1 BS,ESPL,F125L GSL,STU,EM,EPL
2 GS,EP,ASPL,FML ESP,STUL,F125,EML
3 STU,BSL,EM ASP,F125L,FM,ESPL
4 ESP,GSL,EPL,F125 ASPL,BS,FML
5 STUL,ASP,FM,EML BSL,GS,EP

Thur/East - Fri/West
Heat Run Work
1 STS2,SML,DSPL BML,SM2,CSL,FSAE
2 CPL,BM,CS,FPL SM,DSP,SM2L,FSAEL
3 SM2, STS2L, FSAE FP,CP,SML,DSPL
4 SM,CSL,DSP,BML CPL,FPL,STS2
5 CP,FP,SM2L,FSAEL CS,BM,STS2L

Thur/West - Fri/East
Heat Run Work
1 HS,AM,STSL,CML ES,FSPL,CSPL,AML
2 FSP,CSP,SSL ESL,STS,CM
3 HSL,ES,AML SS,STSL,CML
4 STS,CM,CSPL,FSPL AM,HS,SSL
5 SS,ESL FSP,CSP,HSL

36th Solo National Supp. Rules 36th
2008 Solo National Championship
Heartland Park Topeka, Topeka, KS – Sep. 16-19, 2008
SR 1.5 Supplementary Regulations – pending Solo Events Board approval
“Held under the SCCA Solo Rules (SR)"
CONTENTS
A. GENERAL INFORMATION
B. REGISTRATION PROCEDURES
C. SAFETY
D. ORDER OF RUNNING
E. TECH PROCEDURES
F. IMPOUND PROCEDURES
G. PROTESTS & APPEALS
H. COURSE MARKERS
I. TIMING & SCORING
J. DRIVERS' MEETING NOTES
K. ENTRANTS AS WORKERS

L. TROPHIES
M. CLASSES
N. OFFICIAL RESULTS
O. APPENDIX A

A. GENERAL INFORMATION
1. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: SR 4.2.
2. National Championship entrants’ access to Heartland Park Topeka (HPT) begins Thursday, September 11 at 1:30 p.m. through Saturday, September 20 at 9:00 a.m., 24 hour access. Quiet time must be observed 10pm – 6am. HPT ordinance: Racing engines shall not be run after 10:00 p.m. or before 7:00 a.m. Courses will be open for walking starting Monday, September 15, at 8:00 a.m. Paddock assignments will begin at 10:00 a.m. but access to assigned parking begins at 1:30 p.m.
3. ProSolo Finale entrants access to Heartland Park, Topeka (HPT) begins Thursday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ProSolo competitors are allowed early access for practice starts and will receive a temporary parking location. All ProSolo entrants will be required to vacate the temporary parking location by 6:00 p.m. Thursday, September 11.
4. This event is designated a spectator event. The general public will not have access to the course, staging, and grid areas and will not be required to sign the SCCA Release and Waiver form.
5. Prior to entering all SCCA participants must sign the SCCA Release and Waiver form and obtain a wristband. Wristbands will be your credential and required for access to the facility at all times. The wristband, signifying SCCA waiver signature, will be worn either on the wrist, on a SCCA photo ID or attached to the individuals exterior clothing from the waist up on the front of the body, in plain sight. A wristband can be obtained between 6:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. If you do not have a wristband, you will not be allowed access to the facility.
6. Please see Paddock Chief in the Registration area to confirm paddock parking space. This will enable the officials to locate competitors in case of an emergency.
7. The Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Championship schedule will be published in the Driver Information Book and at http://www.scca.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
8. Changes to the supplemental regulations, run/work order and/or the safety plan will be posted at registration and at the information booth. It is the responsibility of each competitor to check for, and adhere to posted changes.
9. Other site restrictions required by the site owner such as "off-limits" areas, may be published separately, or posted on site and must be obeyed.
10. Rest rooms and shower facilities will be available. Trash containers and portable toilets will be provided. Do not obstruct the portable toilets. Blocking approach to toilets will obstruct use and prevent servicing. Do not use for trash.
11. During the event, Lost and Found items may be picked up/dropped off at the INFORMATION area in the TECH Building.
12. Scales will be available to the competitors during the event free of charge. Use of scales by competitors will be restricted when they are being used by Impound. Consult with the Chief of Impound if in doubt.
13. Fuel is available for purchase through HPT. Octane’s available are: 100 unleaded, 110 leaded, 112 leaded. 24 hour access via credit card payment.
14. Oil, gas, and all fluids must be disposed of in proper containers. Special oil and fluid reclamation stations will be accessible throughout the garage and paddock areas. Please observe the instructions and only pour waste oil and fluids into the appropriate containers. Should something accidentally spill, please try to minimize the situation by cleaning up the affected area immediately and notify HPT personnel.
15. Leftover tires/tire shavings and any other hazardous waste will not be abandoned at the site. The expense for disposal of identifiable tires will be billed to the owner.
16. No parking or working on cars on the roads in the paddock.
17. Do not poke holes in or otherwise damage the hard surface of the paddock and course areas for tent stakes or for any other reason. Violators may be fined and may be removed from the event. Plywood or some other similar material should be used to protect the blacktop surface when using jacks and or jack stands. Competitors should bring their own material.
18. Smoking is prohibited in any indoor facility including the Tech building.
19. NOTE: All fees listed for site services and passes are set by HPT. Motor home parking in the paddock: All motor homes must fit in the allowed paddock parking space. $150 fee includes overnight stay and electricity. There is no fee for motor home camping without electrical hook-ups. Water (non-potable) is available near the registration bldg. Pumping is available near the registration bldg for an additional fee. There will be no delivery of water. To reserve a spot with electrical hook up, contact HPT @ 800-437-2237. Electrical hook up spaces are very limited. Parking outside the paddock at night is free.
20. All utility vehicles (golf karts, rented or personal, motorbikes, mopeds, scooters, 2, 3 & 4 wheelers. This does not include bicycles.) must display a vehicle pass (sticker) that may be purchased at registration (check-in) for $50 (vehicle passes for handicapped persons will not be charged). The utility vehicle pass is good for the entire year. A utility vehicle is a motorized non-licensed non-registered vehicle. The sticker must be affixed to the registered vehicle along with car number and class. No minors allowed on pit vehicles per HPT. The operation of motorized vehicles, whether gas or electric powered, such as but not limited to, golf carts and other personal transportation vehicles are limited to members that can present a valid driver’s license. Drivers are reminded that Solo Rules section 9.1.c applies to golf carts, motorcycles, scooters, mini-bikes, and other forms of personal transportation.
21. Camping is allowed. Outdoor cooking is allowed, but please keep safety in mind. Fireworks are not permitted on the grounds of HPT. Please leave the grounds as you found them.
22. All parcels should be delivered to HEARTLAND PARK TOPEKA, 7530 S. TOPEKA BLVD, TOPEKS, KS 66619 and MUST include name of recipient and may be picked up between the hours of 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the DESIGNATED SHIPPING AND RECEIVING AREA. All freight deliveries will be delivered to the maintenance building.
B. REGISTRATION PROCEDURES
1. Register on-line at http://www.scca.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, or send registrations to: SCCA, Solo Nationals Registration, P.O. Box 1833, Topeka, KS 66601-1833; phone (800) 770-2055, (785) 232-7656, fax (785) 861-1713.
2. Entries must be received by 4:00 p.m. CST, August 21, 2008 to avoid the $75 late fee. A $150 late fee will be assessed for entries received after September 5, 2008.
3. Cancellations received by 4:00p.m. CST, September 5, 2008 will receive a full refund. Cancellations received by 4:00p.m. CST, September 9, 2008 will receive a refund of half the entry fee paid. Cancellations made after September 9, 2008 will not receive a refund. Only a written withdrawal will be accepted via fax, letter or email. No Exceptions.
4. Registered competitors will receive tickets for both awards ceremonies. Extra tickets for Wednesday and Friday night banquets will be available with event registration or at Registration on a first come, first served basis. Those not registered for the event must purchase tickets for each awards ceremony they plan on attending. Competitors are to include the cost of any extra award ceremony tickets with their event registration. The cost will be posted on the entry form.
5. Car numbers will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Only one or two-digit numbers will be allowed (i.e. 0 through 99) where there is one driver in one car, in one class. Where there are two drivers in one car, in one class, the first driver must have a number 99 or lower; the second driver will be 100 plus the first driver’s number (i.e. 30 and 130, 99 and 199). Second drivers must inform the registrar who the first driver of the car is to ensure correct number assignment. Drivers of the same car but in different classes may use the same car numbers. Car owners must inform Registration or the Event Chair of the intent to run multiple classes with a single vehicle. Every effort will be made to accommodate this with the run/work order but it is not guaranteed.
6. All competitors will receive a bar code at registration. The bar code must be placed on the left hand side of their helmet. One bar code per helmet. If you are sharing a helmet you must cover all barcodes except yours prior to arriving at the start line.
7. All drivers must bring to registration: Current valid driver’s license, SCCA membership card, and Solo Rule book.
8. Minors: A minor release form must be presented at registration. Proper forms may be obtained from your local region prior to Nationals and will also be available at registration.
9. The hours of operation for registration and tech:
REGISTRATION TECH
Saturday, Sept 13 9 - 11:30 a.m. & 1 - 4:00 p.m. Saturday Sept. 13 3:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, Sept 14 9 - 11:30 a.m. & 1 - 4:00 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 14 7:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m.
Monday, Sept 15 8 - 11:30 a.m. & 1 - 3:00 p.m. Monday, Sept. 15 1:00 - 4:00 p.m
Tuesday, Sept 16 7 - 8:00 a.m. & 1- 4:30p.m. Tuesday, Sept 16 7:00 - 10:00 a.m
Wednesday, Sept 17 10- Noon & 1 - 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept 17 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Thursday, Sept 18 7:00-8:00 a.m. by appointment only
10. If an unforeseen delay, such as a breakdown while en-route, prevents arrival before 4:30p.m. Wednesday, contact Deena Rowland @ 1-800-770-2055 or Chief Steward to arrange on-site registration and tech.
11. SCCA members living in Canada are allowed to compete in the Canadian Automobile Sports Clubs (CASC) events in lieu of a SCCA Divisional Solo Championship or National Tour event as the prerequisite to competing in the SCCA National Solo Championship.
12. Entry is limited to 1250 competitors, based on the order of entry.
C. SAFETY
1. The safety program supporting the event is detailed in the event safety plan. A copy of this plan will be posted at registration. A copy of the plan may be obtained by contacting the National Staff or at the event information booth.
2. A speed limit of 15 MPH will be enforced at the event site including paddock and grid. Tire spins, rapid speed or direction changes, or other "abnormal/unusual" driving techniques are strictly prohibited throughout the HPT facility including the perimeter roads and the route between grid and the course. See Event Chairman for questions or problems.
3. Children and pets are allowed anywhere on the event site EXCEPT during active competition. During active competition, children under 12 and pets are not allowed in the grid, staging and course areas. Pet owners are required to keep their pets on a leash and clean up after them. HPT reserves the right to remove pets and owners that do not comply with the track regulations. Unruly or dangerous animals are not allowed at any time. You are responsible for your animal.
4. Drivers are responsible for the actions of their crew and guests. Waiver forms will be available at gate into site.
5. It is recommended that the refueling of cars in grid be accomplished with assistant and fire extinguisher.
6. Crosswalks will be designated between grid and staging. Pedestrians must give-way to cars moving to staging (start-line) and cars returning to grid from the course.
7. Course workers must be on their feet at all times while cars are competing.
8. Photographers desiring to enter a course area must be approved by the course safety steward and be accompanied by a spotter. A minor may not serve as a spotter.
9. Skate boards (motorized or manual, with or without stand-up handlebars or seat), roller blades and roller skates (motorized or manual) are prohibited from use in all areas of the event site. Intent: Skateboards, in any form, or name, with the basic function/ form of a skateboard. The Chief Safety Steward will make the determination of vehicles qualifying under this regulation. Any form of “personal transportation” must ride on pneumatic tires; and have some form of mechanical braking mechanism. Operators under the age of 16 must be seated. Special exemptions shall be granted by the Chief of Safety for any vehicle required for medical reasons. Top-heavy novelty vehicles, such as motorized bar stools, are not permitted. Final determination of vehicle eligibility, in all cases, shall be made by the Chief of Safety.
10. Pylons, tape, signs and/or other barriers will define "No Parking" areas near the course. Cars parked in such a manner that block or restrict defined driveways or entrances to course areas will be towed away without notice, at the expense of the vehicle operator/owner.

11. All incidents involving injury and/or property damage occurring on the event site, or felt associated with the event will be reported as soon as possible to the Event Chairman, Chief Steward, or Chief of Safety.

D. ORDER OF RUNNING
1. Competition will be on two successive days with one course run each day. Runs will be scheduled heats for Tuesday/Wednesday and heats for Thursday/Friday competition. (Heats will be assigned by car class). The run/work order will initially identify only the days each class will run. Heat assignments will be made once entry density and mix is known; approximately September 1, 2008. Specific run order within a heat is subject to change depending on entries. Correct run order will be posted the day of competition. In the case of extremely high or low entries, withdrawals or no shows, changes in the run/work order may be required.
2. During competition, the course will be open for walk-through only prior to the 3rd heat each day. The walk-through will be a maximum of 30 minutes. The timing captains will start the countdown clock.
3. There will be two grids for each course. Drivers are to report to the designated grid according to heat assignment found in driver’s registration packet. If the car and driver are not in the specific grid spot when the first car of the heat is instructed to the start line they will lose a run/or runs depending on arrival time to grid. A diagram of the grid will be in the registration packet.
4. All drivers will be assigned a "home" space number for grid purposes where they may leave any necessary equipment (air tank, tools, etc). Grass areas surrounding grids may be used for equipment but support vehicles may be restricted from some areas. After each run all drivers will return to their "home." Do not block the access lanes between spaces. Dual Drivers will have the same grid position. All FJA and FJB competitors will be in a separate grid area.
5. The Chief of Grid shall have the discretion to determine the run order within each heat, balancing the conflicting goals of running in numerical order within class, fairness to drivers of both single-driver and two-driver, keeping entire classes together, and facilitating efficient event operation. All FJA and FJB competitors will complete their runs prior to the start of Heat 1 competition. No competitor in a class shall take a second run until all drivers in that class have completed their first run unless necessitated by reruns. After the completion of each run, vehicles must return directly to the grid. Vehicles are not permitted to depart the grid area for service. Each run of each heat is divided into two segments. Therefore, for a three (3) run heat there are six (6) segments (1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, and 3b).
6. A minimum of five minutes must have elapsed between runs for any car. This includes reruns or runs for another driver of the same car. A grid marshal will be specifically assigned to handle two-driver cars and will keep a time log to assure compliance with the five-minute minimum between runs. The time shall be measured from the time the car returns to grid until the time it leaves the start line.
7. Drivers must proceed from the grid to the start line when so directed by a grid official, or that run will be scored as a Did Not Start (DNS). Exception: Drivers of cars with mechanical difficulty shall have ten minutes after the car is scheduled to start to present a car at the start line. Drivers may take one mechanical delay per run. For this purpose, a rerun counts as a new run. Grid personnel will be notified of the mechanical difficulty, and will refer the request for a mechanical delay to the Chief Steward in cases where the competitor may gain an unfair advantage by delaying a run. Abuse of this allowance may be considered unsportsmanlike conduct and is protestable under 9.1.F.

E. TECH PROCEDURES
1. Tech inspection will be at the event site. There will be a single Tech inspection for the Test’n’Tune and Solo Nationals. Onsite Pro-Solo tech inspection will be accepted for Solo Nationals.
2. All drivers are required to state on the entry the brand of tire they run on. However, the tire brand to be used may be changed at Tech and will be verified during impound.
3. All tires, at event site and intended for use on Stock and Street Prepared category cars must be teched. These tires will be checked for compliance with 13.3.H at tech inspection; however these tires will not be marked. Tires are un-protestable for violation of section 13.3.H after the car makes its first competition run on said tire(s). There is no maximum number of tires which may be teched for each vehicle. It is the responsibility of the competitor for all additional tires acquired after tech inspection to be in compliance with tread depth and safety specifications outlined in 13.3.H. Any tire which fails tech inspection may be impounded by SCCA until the completion of competition.
4. Tech will check for compliance with 3.7 Vehicle Identification. (All required decals will be made available at tech.) Helmet bar codes are not required to complete the tech check.
5. The Tire Rack is the title sponsor for SCCA National Solo 2008, which includes the ProSolo National Series, Solo National Tour and the National Championship at Topeka. Participants in these events are required to run the title sponsor decal, which is a window decal that is to be used at the top of the windshield. Vehicles without windshields or with plastic windshields may place the decal on the front of the car. The Tire Rack SCCA Solo Nationals decal is required. This decal must be displayed on the upper half front fender between the center of the wheel opening and/or leading edge of door or just behind the leading edge of the door. For cars without fenders, decals must be on the nose and adjacent to the side number of the car. Two SCCA Solo decals (one on each side) and one SCCA decal (on the front of the car) is also required. Please make sure that both the windshield and the regular decals are in the correct location before you go to tech. Placement will be checked before the car passes tech. If you have special conditions requiring a possible alternate application for the windshield decal, please ask the National Staff.
6. Helmets must meet specifications and will be teched. Approved helmets must be teched before the driver's car can receive a tech sticker. Helmets that do not meet the requirements of the Solo rule Section 4.3.1 will be impounded by the SCCA until the completion of the event.

F. IMPOUND PROCEDURES
1. The intent of impound is to assure competitors have complied with the specifications listed in the SCCA National Solo Rules and the Supplementary Regulations for this event per Section 6.10 of the Solo Rules.
2. Vehicles will be impounded on both days of competition in the assigned grid area. The driver of each vehicle or a designated representative must remain in the grid/impound area near the vehicle during the impound period. After each competitor’s last run on each day, vehicles must return to their original grid position. The Chief of Timing may request impounded vehicles to be held until the results are audited.
3. After 3rd runs, Drivers of FJA, FJB, Street Modified, Prepared, F125, and Modified category vehicles will be directed to the scales as they exit the course before they return to grid. Two driver vehicles will be weighted after the 2nd driver competes. However, the first driver of FJA, FJB, Modified and F125 two driver cars must be at the scales at the time the 2nd driver arrives to also be weighed. Failure to go directly to the scales after the 3rd run could result in disqualification.
4. Impound officials will inspect cars during impound and may require removing wheels and/or components as part of the inspection procedure. Competitors are responsible for performing these procedures as required and for using proper equipment (e.g. jack stands to safely support a raised vehicle). Competitors are responsible for having appropriate rules and documentation of specifications available. All vehicles required to be weighed, will be weighed both days.
5. Competitors may observe, but must not hinder Impound inspectors in any way.
6. Impound will not act on hearsay information regarding suspected non-compliant concerns provided by competitors. The decision whether to act on competitor-provided information is solely at the discretion of the Chief of Impound.
7. Vehicles under protest will remain in impound with other vehicles until the class is released. They will be escorted by a designated impound or protest committee official to another location as instructed by the Protest Committee.
8. All weights and measurements taken by impound will be available for all competitors to inspect after (not during) the weighing procedure. Competitors are reminded not to interfere with Impound officials as they work.
G. PROTEST & APPEALS: SR Rule 8
1. Protest and Appeal forms will be available from the Chief Steward, Operating Steward, Chief of Protest, Chief of Impound and the Chairman of the Appeals Committee. Protests may be filed with the Protest Committee or the Chief Steward and (except for protests from the Chief of Impound or the Chief Steward) must be accompanied by the appropriate protest fee in cash, traveler's checks or approved credit card.
2. Bonds (if required by SR 8.3.3) are due in cash, traveler's checks or approved credit card.
3. Appeals may be filed with the Chief Steward, the Chairperson of the Appeals Committee, or the Chief of Protest. The appropriate fee in cash, traveler's checks or approved credit card must accompany the Appeal (Chief Steward excepted).
4. The decisions of the Protest Committee may be appealed, but not protested. Only the original protester, protestee, or Chief Steward may file an appeal.
5. Refusal of an entrant or driver of a protested car to allow inspection under the terms established by the Protest and/or Appeals Committee(s) shall result in immediate disqualification and may result in exclusion from competing in the 2009 Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Championship.
H. COURSE MARKERS
1. Directional pylons (pylons which are laid on their side) are for informational purposes and do not count if hit. Directional pylons placed directly adjacent to a penalty pylon must be obeyed or a DNF will result. Directional pylons not adjacent to a penalty pylon are for informational purposes only and do not result in a DNF if not followed. If a directional pylon displaces a penalty pylon, the penalty pylon will be assessed.
2. A penalty will be assessed for each displaced course entry and exit pylon.
3. The course will be lined on both sides, weather permitting. Crossing a line incurs no penalty.
4. Drivers observed driving at substantially less than normal competition speeds for the purpose of spotting slightly misplaced course markers to earn a re-run will be referred to the Operating Steward for action. Such conduct is considered unsportsmanlike and an unnecessary delay of the event.
I. TIMING & SCORING
1. The total score will consist of the best-timed run from each course, combined to create one time.
2. Scores will be posted in the designated area near each grid. See the Chief of Course or Chief Steward to resolve problems. The names of these Chiefs will be posted on the same bulletin boards as the times. THE TIMING & SCORING VEHICLES ARE OFF LIMITS FOR COMPETITORS, CREW AND SPECTATORS, unless invited to enter by an event official.
3. After the completion of each heat, times will be posted at the Information Area.
4. One bar code per helmet. If sharing a helmet, all bar codes except the one belonging to the driver at the stage lane, must be covered. Barcodes are easily covered by blue painters tape. FAILURE TO COVER EXTRA BARCODES MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION OF RUNS.
J. DRIVERS MEETING NOTES
1. There will be no drivers' meeting. Changes to the Supplemental Regulations, Safety Plan, and other items of information as well as the names of all event officials will be included in the packet of material provided at on-site registration, or posted at Registration and at the Information Booth. IT IS A COMPETITOR’S RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK AT REGISTRATION AND THE INFORMATION AREA FOR CHANGES TO THE SUPPLEMENTAL REGULATIONS
K. ENTRANTS AS WORKERS: SR Rule 6.1
1. All competitors are required to work the event. Qualified replacements may be used as substitutes in worker assignments. However, workers must notify the Chief of Course or Chief of Specialty for approval prior to the substitution. Failure to comply with Rule 6.1 SR or properly perform assigned duties will result in additional work assignments or disqualification, as executed by the Event Officials.
2. Early work assignments that offset a normal work assignment must be pre-approved by the Event Chairman and Chief of Workers. These assignments must be extremely limited to prevent loss of critical support during the event. Serving as a volunteer prior to the event is greatly appreciated and a key element in success of this event. However, this does not automatically offset a normal work assignment.
3. The use of cell phones is prohibited while working course.
4. Worker Check-In will be located at the Information area in the TECH building. Workers will then report to their respective Chiefs (i.e., timing to Chief Timing, impound to Chief Impound) before the beginning of the last run of the heat prior to their assigned work heat for a brief instructional session and assignment. First heat workers will report at 7:30 a.m. Failure to report on time will result in an additional work assignment after the finish of the last heat on that day. Not complying with these rules will result in disqualification.
L. TROPHIES & AWARDS
1. Trophies will be awarded on Wednesday and Friday nights. They will not be mailed. If you leave the event early, appoint someone to receive your award.
2. The Event Chairman and SEB Chairman will determine awards such as the “Worker Challenge,” “Hard Luck”, “Sportsmanship”, etc., based on observations and competitor input. Nominations for these awards may be submitted at the Information Area.
M. CLASSES
1. All Open, Ladies classes as defined by the 2008 Solo Rules.
2. FSAE and FSAEL will run as a supplemental class.
3. FJA and FJB (8+ only) will run as supplemental classes.
No other Supplemental Classes are approved for this event.
N. OFFICIAL RESULTS
3. Official results will be mailed to competitors within two weeks of the final disposition of all protests and appeals.

36th 2008 Event Chiefs 36th

2008 Solo National Championship Event Chiefs:

Chair: Kathy Barnes

Event Manager: Nancy Downing, National Staff

Chief Stewards: Bill Goodale, New England; Bob Tunnell, Colorado, Jeff Jacobs, Philadelphia; Mark Walker, Nebraska

Operating Stewards: Chris Franson, New England; Mitchell Wagner, Atlanta; Meredith Najewicz, Atlanta; Jason Uyeda, Cal Club

Chief of Timing: Jodi Fordahl, Northwest

Chief of Web Posting: Dave Whitworth, St. Louis

Chief of Social: Deena Rowland, National Staff

Chief of Course: Joe Austin, New York; Debbie Eley, Alabama

Chiefs of Grid: Michael Snyder, Washington DC; Tim Smith, Atlanta

Paddock Marshall: Phil Osborne, Texas;

Chief of Information: Ron Babb, Northwest

Chief of Announcers: Heyward Wagner, Atlanta

SportsCar Coordinator: Rocky Entriken, Salina

Chief of Safety: Jan Rick, St. Louis

Chief of Workers: Katie Elder, San Francisco; Kevin McCormick, San Francisco

Chief of Impound: Karen Kraus, Blue Ridge

Chief of Tech: Jinx Jordan, New England

Chief of Radios: Stacey Strout, New England; Michael Craik, Atlanta

Chief of Protest: Rob Foley, Northern New Jersey

Chief of Registration: Connie Hudson, Lone Star

Chief of Waivers: Darrel Padberg, Blackhawk Valley

Youth Steward: Chang Ho Kim, New England

Emcee: Raleigh Boreen, Saginaw Valley

West Courser Designer: Roger H. Johnson, Houston

East Course Designer: Karen Babb, Northwest

36th Our Title Sponsor 36th

The Tire Rack sponsors the SCCA National Solo program. If you’d like to learn more about the Tire Rack, call 888-380-8437 or point your browser to http://www.tirerack.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Don't forget to check the weather reports!

See you all there!
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam