Pro Solo & National Tour

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Pro Solo & National Tour

Post by Arthur Grant »

:thumbup: I am now registered for both the Pro Solo El Toro and the National Tour San Diego. Their number system doesn't go as high as I would like, so instead of running 314, I will be running 14 (only have to ask my wife to make one replacement number) but I thought for a 3 day and a 2 day event the price was very reasonable. I do have a question, what is a Pro Solo Passport. I am assuming it's something that people that attended last years finals or ran 3 or more events earned?
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: Pro Solo & National Tour

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Arthur Grant wrote:Their number system doesn't go as high as I would like, so instead of running 314, I will be running 14 (only have to ask my wife to make one replacement number)
National Tours and ProSolo events use the 1-99 numbering system and you add 100 to that number for your co-driver. Thus 14 for you and if your wife co-drove she'd be 114.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Tours run in numerical order within each class, so if you want your co-driver to run first, they should be 14 and you should be 114.

At the Prosolo, only your first batch of runs is determined by your number. In later sessions, the driver with the lower times goes first.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

National Tour, is it ok/safe to leave trailer overnight at the venue?
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Yes

Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Thanks Mako.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Also, on Friday there is a practice. Not on the actual course, but another part of the lot with no elevation changes. Tech and Registration is Friday afternoon with a welcome party. This allows you to leave your trailer there Friday so you shouldn't have to worry about hotel parking.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Just remember that traffic to San Diego is HELL on Friday afternoons, ie. you've got to leave early. It can take over 3 hours to get to Qualcomm
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Yep, have an office in Rancho Bernardo. At it's worst the 5 is nothing like the 15. But will leave early. The National indicates it's just a two day, Saturday & Sunday. Friday is my off day that week unless a hot project comes up. Do you think the parking lot will be open to drop off the trailer on Friday?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

As was mentioned ... Friday they will have a Test 'n Tune course set-up ... folks will be registering and tech'ing ... which are things that you want to get done on Friday, because Saturday gets very busy, very quickly. Don't forget you'll need to get all of your required decals and Tire Rack window banner in place ... don't want to have to rush the window banner.

Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Mako, thank you. Wasn't clear that they had a test and tune. As for the stickers, I need the National tour sticker, and Kumho sticker otherwise I am pretty well set. I never took the Tire Rack sticker off my windshield from last years Pro Solo. Drives the America's Tire guys nuts when I go over for my free tire fills.
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

First picture was taken in 2005... do I win a prize?
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Art - I usually aim to get there before 11am on Friday. Time to unload, sticker up, tech, chat with friends, head over to the test and tune and generally have a very pleasant day off work. SD Tour Friday is one of my favorite days of the year - get to see lots of old friends, new rides for the year and you haven't lost yet!!
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Kris Cho
Car#: 214

Post by Kris Cho »

can noobs also run in pro solo and not get embarrassed? :oops: :gpower:
05 350z Performance
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Kris Cho wrote:can noobs also run in pro solo and not get embarrassed? :oops: :gpower:
Sometimes :D

You should do it though - most fun you can have AX'ing :thumbup:
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Arthur Grant wrote: I never took the Tire Rack sticker off my windshield from last years Pro Solo. Drives the America's Tire guys nuts when I go over for my free tire fills.
Sounds like a sponsorship opportunity...

And, the San Diego lot has seem some theft over the years.

Noobs, would it be embarrassing to get your butt kicked? You should do it and not worry about it, we all started there! Harrisburg ProSolo 199?, Saturday afternoon I couldn't figure out why I was in the back of the grid when in had a low number :o
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

sorry for thread jacking.
where can i find info on running in Pro solo including the the Fri thing? Since this is like 2 months later, i could get out of noob zone before then.
05 350z Performance
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Kris Cho wrote:can noobs also run in pro solo and not get embarrassed? :oops: :gpower:
Define embarrased. If you mean not get your butt kicked, no. Look at the entry list and you find people coming in from all over the country. But it's only really fun when you run against the best, then at least you know how good you are.

By the way, how good a drag racer are you?
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Kris - read this...

http://www.solo2.com/bacon.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

Arthur Grant wrote:
Define embarrased. If you mean not get your butt kicked, no. Look at the entry list and you find people coming in from all over the country. But it's only really fun when you run against the best, then at least you know how good you are.

When i had a WRX sedan, i used to do quite some hard launching from 0-80 mph i nthe street. With 350z, i sometimes do it. luv fast shifting :heyes:

EDIT: S***! i see that prosolo is 3 day event. i have a class on saturday from 9 to 4 :x
05 350z Performance
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Kris Cho wrote:
EDIT: S***! i see that prosolo is 3 day event. i have a class on saturday from 9 to 4 :x
Well, three days if you want to come to the dinner, walk course, and do practice launches on Friday, but, yeah, class on Saturday does put a damper on things since both ProSolo and National Tour competition is on both Saturday and Sunday.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Kris Cho wrote:
Arthur Grant wrote:

When i had a WRX sedan, i used to do quite some hard launching from 0-80 mph i nthe street. With 350z, i sometimes do it. luv fast shifting :heyes:

Street racing doesn't really count, as it's a reaction time issue. Pro Solo uses a drag strip Christmas tree to launch. Were so used to going when we want after the green flag is dropped that the idea of launching on the green light (or earlier if you time it right), staging at line, etc is nerve racking. If you launch slow you lose seconds, if you launch early you DNF. Also the back to back to back to back runs on the mirror courses means you have to be good at applying what you learned and forgetting everything that might break your concentration.

Forget who said it, but yeah it was the most fun I have had at an autocross event. Love the format, found out my drag races skills were left somewhere in the late 70's. I was slow off the lights, (or way to early) and had trouble keeping the rear wheels stuck to the ground.
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...sounds very interesting..I could go to physics lecture until 12 and skip lab

have you found the tire inflator yet?
05 350z Performance
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Yep tire inflator found.
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

Arthur Grant wrote:Yep tire inflator found.
Text me when i can pick it up before 4 or after 9 pm
thanks
05 350z Performance