The Tirerack SoPac Divisional Review

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

The Tirerack SoPac Divisional Review

Post by Rick Brown »

Not too soon to start the praising of the event: The food prepared and served by Theresa, Mari, and Stacey was simply GREAT! Thank you ladies - Job Well Done!
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Theo O.

Re: The Tirerack SoPac Divisional Review

Post by Theo O. »

Agree! Awesome food!

Also, Jay put on a great and fun TT track/event as always.

Almost forgot, excellent even T-shirt Mr. Brown :thumbup:
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

I wish I could've stayed for the awards, and I'm sorry I couldn't help out more this weekend, but my body was saying 'stop' in a big way. :? Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of those who worked their tails off for this event. The ones I especially noticed were Theresa, Stacy and Mari at the welcome party. Mari (again), Mark Durst, Christine Berry, Rick Brown and of course George Schilling keeping things running smoothy all weekend long. Arthur Grant for keeping the course in order (sorry I wasn't more help, Art). Elliot Speidell for making damn sure we had a fun, flowing, and safe course to drive on. There are many more, I'm sure, but these were just the ones I noticed running themselves ragged to make this thing happen.
Oh yeah, and thanks to Tom for giving me an awesome car to drive, as usual. Thanks to Jeff for the whoopin'. :thumbup:
Mark D.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Results posted: Click Me
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 16

Post by Mike Yanase »

what a great event!
this is my first time attending anything other then a championship and WOW :thumbup:
great course. great organization. great competitors. what more can you say?

just wanted to say a big thanks to those who worked with me in heat 4 station 1. we made it through :lol:
and sorry to kurt for yelling into the radio A LOT on saturday hahhaa
Steve Abbott
Club: CASOC
Car#: 48

Post by Steve Abbott »

I didn't know whether I was coming or going. :lol: At the end, I stayed for two days. Thanks to all involved. That was a perfect autocross track.

Steve A.
Jonathan Hartendorp
Club Representative
Car#: 513

Post by Jonathan Hartendorp »

Mike Yanase wrote:what a great event!
this is my first time attending anything other then a championship and WOW :thumbup:
great course. great organization. great competitors. what more can you say?

just wanted to say a big thanks to those who worked with me in heat 4 station 1. we made it through :lol:
and sorry to kurt for yelling into the radio A LOT on saturday hahhaa
Totally 2nd that...it was a great event!

And yes it was fun working out there on course as it was "heads-up" all the time especially for Mike who almost got hit twice out there.....

And also: Great people, great cars, great course and great fun...what more can you ask for?! :thumbup:
Mark Duerst
Club: GRA
Car#: 173

Post by Mark Duerst »

For all of us that have waited for what seems like forever in impound at national events - I think you can't say enough good things about the job Rick and Mari did in timing and Nick in impound. Results could not have come out any faster.

What a great event!
Mark Duerst
Fred Zust
Car#: 0

Post by Fred Zust »

Fantastic Event!

Great, great spread on Friday! Organized and well-run.

Props to AZ's-own Elliot Spiedel for 2 fantastic courses! The most fun I've had at an autox in a while!

George & KJ, great event and many thanks

Christine B. Thanks for the use of the car, I promise I took it easy on the Clutch!

Jeff K. -- You need a big front & rear wing and take on A-mod, straight up.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Mark Duerst wrote:For all of us that have waited for what seems like forever in impound at national events - I think you can't say enough good things about the job Rick and Mari did in timing.
That was 99% Mari!
Jesus Villarreal

Post by Jesus Villarreal »

Fred Zust wrote:Fantastic Event!Great, great spread on Friday! Organized and well-run.
Props to AZ's-own Elliot Spiedel for 2 fantastic courses! The most fun I've had at an autox in a while!
George & KJ, great event and many thanks, Christine B. Thanks for the use of the car, I promise I took it easy on the Clutch!
Jeff K. -- You need a big front & rear wing and take on A-mod, straight up.
Yes, motion 2nded Fred, Great event guys!!
Yes, Jeff K go ahead and put those wings on the Bugeye and see how you do. LOL , and Fred, you aren't very far behind Jeff!!

And my apologies to the course workers on my 3rd run saturday. :oops:

Jesus
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

As a "newbie", I want to thank everyone I met who went out of their way to fill me in on everything from positioning barrier and perimeter cones on Friday morning, to working as a Starter at Test N Tune, to working the grid during the overwhelming Run Groups 3a and 3 on Sunday (I sucked). I am amazed at all the people I met, virtually all of whom were more than willing to enlighten me and share their experience and wisdom. As for my runs...other than Test N Tune, I only ran Sunday. I corrected a DNF on my first run, vastly improved my time on Run 2 and decided that only 2 cones are needed in a slolam instead of 3 (DNF), but an even better time in Run 3.

I loved the course and the Friday meal was outstanding. WOW!! The ladies went above and beyond. And we stayed for the awards ceremony. Now that I'm "experienced" (ya right), I'd like to propose a change. The rules should be amended to state that if there's "at least 1 car in a class", they get a trophy. :lol:

And George...about that XX T-Shirt. You can borrow it any time you want. Or maybe we can set-up visitation. You get it every other weekend. I'm open. I'm even willing to pay for it. :)
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Not sure if anyone could tell, but I had a lot of fun @ Divisionals :D

Thanks to everyone who put on & attended this event. I think I'm fully recovered from this weekend now; I love being on Summer vacation, woooooo!
Robert Rockefeller
Car#: 199

Post by Robert Rockefeller »

Thanks for an awesome divisional, well organized, well run! It was worth the drive from Tucson. I wish I could make more of the so cal local events.

I had high confidence that Elliot would put together a great course, and that was proven out.
--
Rob Rockefeller
Solo Director
Arizona Border Region #88 SCCA
Tucson, AZ
Reijo Silvennoinen
Car#: 60

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

I agree it was a great event in every way. A lot of work obviously went into it - George et al.

But mostly, it was great to see "everyone" again! :)

Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Reijo Silvennoinen wrote:I agree it was a great event in every way. A lot of work obviously went into it - George et al.

But mostly, it was great to see "everyone" again! :)

Reijo
I loved the beard, but what's next? Are you going to bring a grizzly bear to the next event?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

To everyone who had a great time: please write in to the SEB nominating the event for Divisional of the Year, if you think this event should qualify.

I think our event last year was eligible for consideration, but since nobody wrote in - and I had a conflict of interest, being both your SEB member and your Region Chair - we weren't considered for the award.

So write in if you think we should have it! http://www.sebscca.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Mike
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I don't know man, was it as good as '08? ;-)
(Despite being at the ceremony, I never did get to touch that trophy)

Jay W
Mike Simanyi wrote:To everyone who had a great time: please write in to the SEB nominating the event for Divisional of the Year, if you think this event should qualify.

I think our event last year was eligible for consideration, but since nobody wrote in - and I had a conflict of interest, being both your SEB member and your Region Chair - we weren't considered for the award.

So write in if you think we should have it! http://www.sebscca.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Mike
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

That was an awesome event. Honestly, you couldn't tell there was a difference between this and a National Tour. Great work to all those involved. Great course design as well, it was pretty tricky trying to get it nailed down! Makes me wonder why we don't have a National Tour at El Toro, in addition to the SD Tour. It would have been easy to add in the schedule between the two Denver events. Oh well. Great job everyone!
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Re:

Post by Arthur Grant »

James Yom wrote:That was an awesome event. Honestly, you couldn't tell there was a difference between this and a National Tour. Great work to all those involved. Great course design as well, it was pretty tricky trying to get it nailed down! Makes me wonder why we don't have a National Tour at El Toro, in addition to the SD Tour. It would have been easy to add in the schedule between the two Denver events. Oh well. Great job everyone!
Well I believe this event was 95% as good as the national tour (I really liked the bands at the tour which is why I give them +5%) I am not sure that the core of the leadership could stand having the pro, national and divisional all in the same year. I assume they have a life other than autocrossing. Although Qualcom needs repaving, its nice to have an away game, and I thought nationals was great. (I don't run any of the regular events down there). The other thing I liked about San Diego was that it was weather friendly.

Given I have no national asperations (if you have seen me drive you know why), I am confused about how the point system works. I can get that the National Tour qualifies you to run the national finals, and that the Pro Tour does likewise for the Pro Tour final, but how dose the Divisional work?

Great event, loved the course.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Re: Re:

Post by Eric Clements »

Arthur Grant wrote:Given I have no national asperations (if you have seen me drive you know why), I am confused about how the point system works. I can get that the National Tour qualifies you to run the national finals, and that the Pro Tour does likewise for the Pro Tour final, but how dose the divisional work?
Divisionals are supposed to be run just like Tours, just no national staff on site to help run it. Divisionals also qualify you to run Nationals. Tours have no points. Some divisions have divisional series that would have points. ProSolo is all about the points.

James, Packwood and are in between the two Colorado events and a second SoCal Tour/Pro would kill entries at Packwood/Colorado.
Jay Balducci

Post by Jay Balducci »

Just wanted to thank all those who helped put on the Divisional event. It has become my favorite event to attend and worth every mile from Phoenix. I have more miles driving over to SoCAL and I enjoy every moment. See everyone in Lincoln.
Jay
Katy Nicholls
Car#: 235

Post by Katy Nicholls »

Great event!

HUGE thanks to Elliot S. for a fantastic couse design and to Elliot and team (Clint, Doug, and Brad) for their tireless efforts on course set-up (12+ hours on Friday)!!!

Thanks to all!

Katy