Help!!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Help!!

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Does anyone know if a cracked windshield would keep my car from passing tech this Sat.? A f@%$&g truck threw a rock at my windshield today on the 210 freeway, and I just spent the last two hours watching the teeny crack turn into a 12" long crack. Trying to figure out if I need to scramble to get it fixed for NOTLD, or if I can relax and get it done next week.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Re: Help!!

Post by Jeff Shyu »

well.. the front windshield's not gonna shatter on ya, so i doubt it's a serious safety concern. The amount of force you'll be putting through the chassis though, will probably make the crack even bigger.

my friend's driving around a Camery that has a horizontal crack all the way across the windshield. hasn't given him any problems.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'm not worried about the safety issue. My friend drove his old POS Datsun with a series of huge cracks for years without incident (other than a bunch of tickets).

I'm more worried about showing up to NOTLD and being told I can't run. Gotta start working on contingency plans now if I'm not gonna pass tech.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Stuff like that would be a safety call by the people on site (ultimately the Safety Steward of record). So there's really no definite answer to be had here. But in general, you wouldn't get held back unless the SS actually thought it was a safety issue (i.e. there's no written rule that says no cracked windshields).

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Kurt Rahn wrote:I'm not worried about the safety issue. My friend drove his old POS Datsun with a series of huge cracks for years without incident (other than a bunch of tickets).

I'm more worried about showing up to NOTLD and being told I can't run. Gotta start working on contingency plans now if I'm not gonna pass tech.
Tech is concerned about safety more than anything. If your view out the windshield is not obstructed, I say you're good to go.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

I would doubt it would be a safety issue, so probably not. I've attached the tech rules in a word document. Okay, so the extension DOC isn't allowed.

Cut n paste:
3.3.3 Safety Inspections

B. Inspection Requirements

1) All loose items, inside and outside the car, must be removed. Hand held items, such as but not limited to, cameras and cell phones are considered loose items.

2) Passenger’s seat back and all cushions, bolsters, headrests, etc. must be secured. All allowed aftermarket replacement seats (i.e. driver and passenger) must be securely and safely mounted. Special care should be taken when using other than OE mounting points and/or fabricated bracketry.

3) Any cameras, if installed, must be securely mounted to withstand loads from driving maneuvers. The camera may be installed either inside or on the outside of the car. In either case, its mounting method and position must not interfere with driving or pose an additional hazard to driver, passenger, or course workers.

4) Snap-on hubcaps, detachable fender skirts, and trim rings must be removed.

5) Wheels must be safely affixed. They shall not be reversed so that the lughole taper does not mate with the chamfer of the lugs. All studs and lug nuts must be present and functional.

6) Tires must be in good condition, with no cord or belts showing or cracks in the tread or sidewall. Each tire must have measurable (i.e. exhibiting positive measurement values) tread depth at no less than two points on the tire which are 180 degrees apart around the circumference, and which are within the center one-half of the tread surface that normally contacts the ground. Tires may not have cord visible at any time during competition. For categories other than Prepared and Modified, tires may not be regrooved, nor may grooves be added to the tread pattern where none existed on the original tire.

7) Seat belts (and harnesses if used) must be properly installed with attaching hardware, in good condition, secure, tight, and in compliance with Section 3.3.1.

8) Throttle return action shall be safe and positive.

9) No excessive fuel, oil, water or brake fluid leaks should be observed when the engine is running. For all Prepared and Modified category vehicles, engine crankcase and radiator overflow/breather lines must terminate in containers of at least one quart capacity. These containers cannot be vented into the driver/passenger compartment. All Prepared and Modified category vehicles must be equipped with an engine oil vent tank and an engine coolant vent tank if coolant is used. Vent tanks are not required with systems which are completely closed, i.e. have no venting to the atmosphere. All oil lines passing through the driver/passenger compartment shall be made of metal braided hose with AN Series threaded couplings; or entirely covered and protected with a metal cover (this does not apply to the small oil lines used for mechanical oiling system gauges).

10) Steering “spinner” knobs shall not be permitted.

11) No broken or missing spokes or more than one loose spoke per wheel shall be permitted in wire wheels. No cracks shall be permitted in disc or cast wheels. Other than standard parts as defined by these rules, non-metallic wheel construction is prohibited (FSAE cars are exempt from this requirement since the FSAE rules allow non-metallic wheels).

12) Brakes must have an adequate pedal, sufficient fluid in the master cylinder and no apparent hydraulic leaks under pressure. Vehicles must have a brake mechanism acting upon each wheel. The braking system shall be a dual system, arranged in a manner to provide braking for at least two wheels in the event of failure in part of the system. In the case of OE single systems, this requirement may be satisfied by a functional, redundant emergency brake. Karts are exempt from this requirement.

13) All swing axle cars, except Porsche, must have a camber compensator, or negative camber on the rear wheels, or have axle-limiting straps. Stock pre-1967 Volkswagen straps are not sufficient.

14) Wheel bearings, shocks, steering, and suspension shall be in good operating condition.

15) Exhaust must exit behind driver or to the side of the car.

16) On-board starters shall be provided.

17) Any wet-cell battery moved from the manufacturer’s original location shall be in a non-conductive marine-type container or equivalent, and the hot terminal shall be insulated. All batteries (on-board power supplies) shall be attached securely to the frame or chassis structure independent of the marine-type container. NOTE: This will allow the use of gel cell or dry cell (AGM) batteries without a non-conductive marine-type container where applicable.

18) Roll bars, if installed, must meet the applicable portions of Section 3.3.2 and Appendix C, with specific attention to roll bar height.

19) Helmets for all occupants of the vehicle are to be inspected for condition, fit, and compliance with Driver’s Safety Equipment - Helmets (4.3.1).

20) Flex fans are not allowed.

21) Alcohol may not be used in manifold injection or spray bottles unless it is specified for this use by the OEM.

22) For cars competing on non-DOT-approved tires, the vehicle safety requirements as referenced in each category’s rule set, in addition to those in mandatory sections of the Solo Rules, shall be adhered to by all entrants.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

KJ Christopher wrote:16) On-board starters shall be provided.
what the heck does this mean? in my mind's eye, I keep seeing someone standing on the back of a kart, ready to get off and push when necessary.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Tech is concerned about safety more than anything. If your view out the windshield is not obstructed, I say you're good to go.
Whew! It's in the bottom left corner of the windshield, well below my line of sight.
==============
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

I had my S2000 windshield replaced on site at the San Diego National event.

Safelite drove up in their van and replaced it within a few hours of calling them. Cost less than $200.

Thats what I call service! :thumbup:
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Ron Tsumura wrote:I had my S2000 windshield replaced on site at the San Diego National event.

Safelite drove up in their van and replaced it within a few hours of calling them. Cost less than $200.

Thats what I call service! :thumbup:
that's who i had replace mine too! :thumbup: