From the NOTLD Event Chair

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Tom Phillips
Club: No$
Car#: 185

From the NOTLD Event Chair

Post by Tom Phillips »

From the Event Chair - -
Thanks to all that attended The Craig Angel NOTLD Memorial. The final figures are still to come, but the prelims are about 200 drivers each getting 4 runs. And we were cleaned up and outta there by 3:30.
Special thanks to the entire Angel Family for participating, to Mike Simanyi, for his tireless efforts to make sure this event was funded and the hours spent yesterday setting up and cleaning up, Tom Tanquary (for a terrific course), Mike Sullivan (at the gate about 1:30), John Fendel (200 cars+ to Tech), Yuki Haneda (kept reg flowing and kept it all in order), Rick brown (no challenges with timing), Mako Kowai and Sebastian Rios (looking out for all of us), George Schilling (splitting works crews on the fly ain’t easy) and Leonard Cochola (novice course walk that really worked) for an incredible job that made the Event Chair much easier than expected. The workers in every run group did a great job from beginning to end. To those Novice drivers that took the time to be there on time, good job! No mishaps, nobody lost on course.
Thanks again for a great event.

Tom Phillips
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: From the NOTLD Event Chair

Post by George Schilling »

And of course thanks to Tom Phillips for the terrific job he did as event chair. Even with the surprising amount of entries, the event seems to go rather well. A big congratulations and thank you to all that helped to make this event possible. One more thing Tom, since I had to stay up WAAAY PAST my bedtime anyway, I appreciated that you stuck with the decision to do 4 runs. Great job buddy.

George
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Rick and Mike really went above and beyond ... unhitching their trailers at 3:30 so we could use their vehicles to tow the four lights into a corner for pick-up. Security told us we had to get the lights out of the way for another event today/Sunday.

Thanks Tom and Mike for helping out with re-aiming some of the lights between the first and 2nd run groups. Bill did the initial light set-up, but it's very difficult to know what the lights are going to do in daylight! In the future, if we are going to go with large run groups, perhaps we need to start earlier, so that the vehicles that don't have any lights can get all of their runs in before we lose the last twilight's glow. On the other hand, some drivers like Greg Peng elect to run without their headlights on?

Thanks to Seb for helping out with the Safety Talks! We decided to divide up the work, with me staying to the end. Thanks Bill for changing the spectator area after I pointed out a small concern. I think it worked out well.

Karen and I didn't get home until 5:30 ... after having a nice early breakfast with Stephen and Jason and SD friend at Denny's. Tom P. was smart getting some sleep in his motorhome before leaving. I don't know how we got home! :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :(
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

I wanted to take the time to thank the instructors for this event for helping things go smoothly when needed:

Tom Berry, Lisa Severy, Scott McHugh and everyone else who helped out.

It's always good when novices leave with a positive experience as it increases the likelihood they'll come back and maybe even tell more people how much fun they had!
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Ashley Armstrong
Car#: 814

Post by Ashley Armstrong »

Thanks all... my first NOTLD was fun.
Ash "Cupcakes"
2008 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit-eating champion
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Only got a few sharp action shots. In the past I've rented a high speed lens to help take low light shots. Didn't this time and paid the price ... LOTS of blurry shots. :( I'll get a few more shots up later.

Album Link: http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/2008---auto-cross/no/

The Angel Clan ... seemed to have a good time at their Memorial Event:

(Anyone get a shot of The Cake? I missed it.)

Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

For those of you who'd like to relive the course: here's video of my runs at 1:30 a.m. Surprised I didn't keel over from fatigue and sleepiness. My fastest of my four runs was #3 with a 35.1xx- note that I'm on 2 year-old Azenis on my Miata in SK2.

Run #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dnFa76699I
Run #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL3OuZonXQ8
Run #3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3RdJyswAmQ
Run #4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycI2PcAxu_c

It came out a bit dark on Youtube, but I can see quite a bit in the original video. Comments are totally welcome and constructive criticism encouraged!
~Leonard Cachola
Renee Angel
Car#: 77

Post by Renee Angel »

Thank you to everyone for making this one of the most, if not the most, successful NOTLD event ever. The Angel's had a blast and I can't remember when we ever had such a cheering section. Both Craig Angel (son) and Ed Angel are hooked and will be back. I'm suspecting that Laurie and her husband Chuck will also return, but they weren't real happy in the Prius. I know Craig was looking down on us and saying - WOW, what a turnout. Even though he grumbled about having to be up so late, this was ALWAYS his favorite event - could it be that it was because it was his idea.

On behalf of all the Angels, including Craig (the curmudgeon), thank you, thank you, thank you. You are all very special people and I'm blessed to have such friends and an extended family like you.

Renee
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Both Craig Angel (son) and Ed Angel are hooked and will be back.
I was doing grid while three Angel drivers did their runs in the SE-R, and I have to say, the look on Craig's face when he'd come in was priceless...like a kid that just learned how to ride a bike. ;)
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Michael Heinitz
Car#: 73

Post by Michael Heinitz »

Thanks for a great event. Can't wait to do it again next year.
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OifPLPF2spc&fmt=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/mike :sleepy:
Thomas Barrett
Club: GRA
Car#: 519

Post by Thomas Barrett »

Michael Heinitz wrote:Thanks for a great event. Can't wait to do it again next year.
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OifPLPF2spc&fmt=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/mike :sleepy:
Was that a night vision camera? Very cool.
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Life is like a race, the best times win!
Thomas Barrett
Club: GRA
Car#: 519

Post by Thomas Barrett »

Thanks to everyone who stayed so late and worked so hard to put on a truly unique event.

I should run at night more often, I think I was faster and I was definetly not so affected by the heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8YwQ7jTMI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My fourth run was the best but only good for 4th place.

Working on it still.
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Life is like a race, the best times win!
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Thomas Barrett wrote: My fourth run was the best but only good for 4th place.

Working on it still.
Know what you mean - that was the best I've driven all year and it was only good enough for sixth in class!
~Leonard Cachola
Jeff Ringer
Club: PSCC
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

ok im going to post my video here also

another amazing event! much love to everyone especially Renee. had a fun time announcing for the first time even though announcing first group with the computer problems added to its difficulty...Mari Clements was a SERIOUS calculator brain in the motorhome keeping things going ...no, i wasnt trying to take the lazy way out , i had a leg injury playing hoops and cannot run at this time which is why i wasnt chasing cones...i did feel bad i didnt stay and help clean up and the fact that guys like mike s had around 14 hours days .. i will try to come early or stay late next event...

indexing 26/173 and getting close with eric for my near win was exciting .. thanks theo for the co-drive :thumbup: yes race rubber is fun

here is the fourth run.. i was patient and felt i broke early enough and didnt over brake.. also kept the course pretty short in most spots , yes the vid is dark but you can see the cones no problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j_HYGx6 ... deos_edit2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also- thanks to doug for talking me through the course verbally when i told him i didnt have a chance to course walk and thanks for paying attention to my runs and commenting
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Jeff Ringer wrote:no, i wasnt trying to take the lazy way out
Lazy way out?
Announcing is only a lazy way out when the person doing it is dry, not paying attention to the competition, and boring.
Jason Flores
Car#: 886

Post by Jason Flores »

Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Wow - looks like a great NOTLD was had by all. Sorry I could not be there Renee - very cool that the Angel family came out and had so much fun. I'm sure Craig was smiling.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jeff Ringer

Post by Jeff Ringer »

Michael Palero wrote:
Jeff Ringer wrote:no, i wasnt trying to take the lazy way out
Lazy way out?
Announcing is only a lazy way out when the person doing it is dry, not paying attention to the competition, and boring.

lazy way out was improper wording i guess...no its not easy announcing but since im 'younger' then some i feel the need torun around and let those folks do the non physical jobs....blah blah blah
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

lazy way out was improper wording i guess...no its not easy announcing but since im 'younger' then some i feel the need torun around and let those folks do the non physical jobs....blah blah blah
Okay, now you're diggin' yourself a hole ;-)
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Same as MAx's sentiments missing the event. Atleast Stacey and Robert could be there. I'd love to get an ID on the family pic at the event. Who's who?

And how cool would it be to have some of the family get active in our events.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Renee Angel
Car#: 77

Post by Renee Angel »

Okay Steve - here is the ID for the picture from left to right. Nick - Craig's grandson from his stepdaughter Dana; Alexandra Angel - granddaughter (daughter of Peter, Craig's son); Laurie Angel - Craig's oldest daughter; Peter Angel - Craig's son (twin to Eddie); Renee Angel - no explanation needed; Craig Angel aka Craiger - Craig's youngest son; Ed Angel - Craig's son (twin to Peter) and Chuck Fowler aka Chuck Angel - husband of Laurie Angel. Craiger will be co-driving the Nissan with me the remainder of the year, especially since his first time out he kicked my butt royally. Ed Angel is also hooked after driving his Fiat Spyder. So there will be at least 3 Angel's at the events - can you guys handle that.

The NOTLD was fantastic this year and I know Craig was smiling on us. We even had a full moon, compliments of the curmudgeon himself, I'm sure.

Again - thanks to everyone for all the love and support the Angel family and myself have received from the Solo community. You guys are awesome!!!

Renee
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Oh, yeah, the twins. I remember getting Craig's sympathy when I came down with a case of twins. :o

He told me how they sat side-by-side when they ate so one became right-handed and one became left-handed.

Hmmm, and it's turned out that my son is left-handed and my daughter right-handed ......
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Renee ... those flashes you saw on course between the last two run groups were from an impromptu "fashion" shoot with Alexandra. :P
Yeah ... weird things happen at NOTLD! ;)

Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Wow ... Greg ran that terrific STX PAX time on his last run, in complete darkness, without his headlights on! :o
Jeff Ringer

Post by Jeff Ringer »

did you see james yom in sk1..WOW! .....street tires s2000 running 32 flat ... good for second in AS...

faster then all the ss cars

:o
my middle name is 'The'