NOTLD's Future: The Discussion and Poll

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Your NOTLD Opinions

Fun!
29%
Just ok
11%
No fun!
5%
Keep as a full points event
18%
Keep class points but due to changing conditions leave out Team and Overall points
5%
Make it a non-points event
25%
Way too much of a hassle, we should drop this event entirely
7%

Total votes: 114

Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Re: NOTLD's Future: The Discussion and Poll

Post by Randy Chase »

Christine Berry wrote:Despite the fact that everyone else seems to have written it off (except for Doug), I think that saftey is still a large concern for this event.
If you poll the people that don't attend (waves), you may find more. I am not comfortable with the idea, but then that is just me, so I stay away.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Christine Berry wrote:So if you had to choose between NOTLD or a test-n-tune/Championship, what would you choose?

(actually, that could be construed as slightly off topic, oops)
Marshall Grice.....paging Marshall Grice. Seems your girlfriend is straying from topic. Please delete :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Hey Hey Hey, I'm back on topic now!

Thank you Randy for speaking up. I didn't put any limit on who could answer to poll (not that I actually can) so that people like you could give input. I am preparing a seperate survey to better judge the overall events situation but I am many iterations away from completeing that :D

I would prefer to stay away from this event but because it is a points event and I need every chance I can get to gain points on Marshall (not very sucessfully I might add) so I chose to run although in retrospect I probably shouldn't have due to fatigue, a headache and a complete lack of concentration.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

OK, I had a huge reply going but most probably wouldn't even read it... If NOTLD is really such an issue, how about we add a drop for each night event? I think we need more drops anyways...
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Yeah, that has never eaten into the number of points events.
i'm confused. How does the NOTLD being a non points event eat into the number of championships? are we unable to schedule extra event next year to make up for it, if it were to not be a points event?
I don't see why we couldn't. But I don't see any great rush down the path to make so-called "different" events non-points. That the SCNAX cup was non-points isn't relevant here; it never was going to be a points event. It started out as something to spice up an already existing 2-day practice weekend.

Regional points were earned at the divisional. How different anybody thinks the event is or isn't, each day counted as a regional for points card holders. You either earned points both days or only one day and dropped the other. Or dropped them both.

If NOTLD was a non-points event I'd probably run it. As it is, I'd rather drop it; thanks to the work schedule I used to have that's what I've been forced to do most years.
Bob Beamesderfer

Christine Berry wrote:So if you had to choose between NOTLD or a test-n-tune/Championship, what would you choose?

I'd choose pie.

/gunnar nettleship
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

What would I choose?
1) Aug Test-n-tune/Championship at El Toro for points. and no extra NOTLD for no points
2) NOTLD for points and no extra Aug Championship for points but add a Nationals Test-n-tune for no points at El Toro just for Nationals drivers.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

Last year we had 5 lights instead of the 4 that we normally use. We should, IMHO, have 6-8 lights.
First, thanks for the nice comments about the course by so many of you. I'm learning a little bit at a time.

I also realize I had one the hardest designs of the year to do (who would want to do this?) The parameters for this event are really tough. And lighting (which means safety as much as anything) is a very big part of this. With only 4 lights you can't illuminate much of an area. To get a 45 second course as Steve would like, it would mean making it really slow to stay in the lit areas or spending a lot of time driving toward a light as the course would have to fold back on itself (like in years past). I went with a faster course and finish for the adrenaline factor but had to make it short enough to be lit as best as possible. My theory was to do a circle as such and light from the middle, which I understand is what happened last year, but I wasn't there. That more or less guarantees an even level of light without having to drive right at one. It also puts the lights at the back of most workers so they look away from it while watching course. The next part of the concept was to make it fun and challenging. But with only 4 lights you can't cover a very big circle. I agree with Glenn that this event should have at least 6 lights and 8 would be better. That would deal with safety issues and allow a better course, both in design and illumination. And cost a lot more money. It's a value call.

An aspect I really liked about this year was the chalked grid: Brilliant, Bill. I would do every event that way, no matter what style of grid. I hate tripping over cones in grid day or night.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I agree with Glenn that this event should have at least 6 lights and 8 would be better. That would deal with safety issues and allow a better course, both in design and illumination. And cost a lot more money. It's a value call.
I'd be willing to pay $5-10 more in the interest of safety. It's a unique event.
An aspect I really liked about this year was the chalked grid: Brilliant, Bill. I would do every event that way, no matter what style of grid. I hate tripping over cones in grid day or night.
Agreed. It's one of those why-didn't-someone-think-of-that-before type things.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Tom Tanquary wrote:
Last year we had 5 lights instead of the 4 that we normally use. We should, IMHO, have 6-8 lights.
First, thanks for the nice comments about the course by so many of you. I'm learning a little bit at a time.

I also realize I had one the hardest designs of the year to do (who would want to do this?) The parameters for this event are really tough. And lighting (which means safety as much as anything) is a very big part of this. With only 4 lights you can't illuminate much of an area. To get a 45 second course as Steve would like, it would mean making it really slow to stay in the lit areas or spending a lot of time driving toward a light as the course would have to fold back on itself (like in years past). I went with a faster course and finish for the adrenaline factor but had to make it short enough to be lit as best as possible. My theory was to do a circle as such and light from the middle, which I understand is what happened last year, but I wasn't there. That more or less guarantees an even level of light without having to drive right at one. It also puts the lights at the back of most workers so they look away from it while watching course. The next part of the concept was to make it fun and challenging. But with only 4 lights you can't cover a very big circle. I agree with Glenn that this event should have at least 6 lights and 8 would be better. That would deal with safety issues and allow a better course, both in design and illumination. And cost a lot more money. It's a value call.

Very nice job Tom. Not just with the design, which worked very well, but also with the execution. Bravo.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Tom Tanquary »

but also with the execution
Obviously I had a lot of help from Mike, Toby, Beverlee, Micheal, and Bill. They kept my mistakes to a minimum.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Tom-

I just want to make sure you understand my desire for a longer course isn't a knock on a course designer. Instead, its a reason I hate the NOTLD. I'm well aware of the lighting problem causing the short course.

As between staying up all night to run a 30 second course and risking getting run over in the paddock or having to sit through depositions for years when somebody gets killed at this event, or surviving the heat to run a 60 second course in August. I'd take the heat thank you. This isn't Texas or Vegas or Phoenix. Its SoCal. Bring sunscreen and water and get over it.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
I agree with Glenn that this event should have at least 6 lights and 8 would be better. That would deal with safety issues and allow a better course, both in design and illumination. And cost a lot more money. It's a value call.
I'd be willing to pay $5-10 more in the interest of safety. It's a unique event.
Me too. It's only a few $ more... a small price to pay for increased safety and longer/more course options.

If we're concerned about running too late, start an hour earlier, make this a non-novice event, and/or limit the car count. Again, I don't mind paying a few $ more if it would support the smaller car count.

I didn't make it this year (2-year old battery developed a short that didn't show up until I tried to start the car to leave for the event :( ) but this is one of my favorite events: maybe it comes from my old drag / street racing days, but I love running in the evening. I can understand how running at 3am could be a concern for those running for points, but you're still running at the same time as your classmates, so it's still the same for everyone. Personally, I don't care about points... I'd show up either way, just because it's fun.
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Tom Tanquary »

my desire for a longer course isn't a knock on a course designer.
It wasn't taken as a knock, so not to worry. It was just a jumping off point to talk about the inherent problems with doing a night course. I think we'd all like a much longer course if possible. I'm just glad I got through it.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

In past NOTLD's I've had some really scary close calls in paddock and grid. Those areas are woefully underlit. That was my point about Vegas. They may add lights for the course, but their paddock and grid have atleast the lighting of a normal mall lot. We're going to hurt somebody someday at one of these events.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Tom Tanquary »

We're going to hurt somebody someday at one of these events.
Sadly....... I agree.
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

Tom Tanquary wrote:
We're going to hurt somebody someday at one of these events.
Sadly....... I agree.
What's really sad is all these SSS saying how bad it is yet not one has ever made an official complaint... Read your rule book. The DSSS and SSC don't respond to rumours.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:In past NOTLD's I've had some really scary close calls in paddock and grid. Those areas are woefully underlit. That was my point about Vegas. They may add lights for the course, but their paddock and grid have atleast the lighting of a normal mall lot. We're going to hurt somebody someday at one of these events.
I almost hurt myself good when I couldn't/didn't see the ramp on the trailer and tripped. I gotta agree, some more lighting in the grid, paddock areas is a must.
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Does Tom Phillips have additional lighting added to his motorhome? Maybe we could have a row of motorhomes putting off lights. I have a 5500watt generator and don't mind hooking up some additional lighting to the 4 floods and 1 spot I already have mounted on the trailer.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Ashley Armstrong
Car#: 814

Post by Ashley Armstrong »

Curt Luther wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:In past NOTLD's I've had some really scary close calls in paddock and grid. Those areas are woefully underlit. That was my point about Vegas. They may add lights for the course, but their paddock and grid have atleast the lighting of a normal mall lot. We're going to hurt somebody someday at one of these events.
I almost hurt myself good when I couldn't/didn't see the ramp on the trailer and tripped. I gotta agree, some more lighting in the grid, paddock areas is a must.
Seconded.

I wanted to turn off my lights when I was pulling back into grid but it was too dark to see much of anything if I did.
Ash "Cupcakes"
2008 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit-eating champion
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Couldn't read my tire gauge
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Checking tire pressures was a two person job, one holding the tire gauge and one holding a flashlight :thumbup:
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Bob Beamesderfer

Christine Berry wrote:Checking tire pressures was a two person job, one holding the tire gauge and one holding a flashlight :thumbup:
Intercomp 2.5" Glow-in-the-dark gauge:
George Schilling
Club Representative

Kurt Rahn wrote:Couldn't read my tire gauge
I can't read mine in broad daylight. Do they make a model in braille. :lol:
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Karen wisely bought the over sized Senior mode. I'm use to holding a thin flash light (end wrapped in tape) clinched in my teeth when I'm "checking the gate" at work.