Nice course today, Tom Berry!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Doug Kott
Club: CASOC
Car#: 300

Re: Nice course today, Tom Berry!

Post by Doug Kott »

Yes, Bob was on fire on his X-runs!!! :thumbup:

Let me be the ninth to thank Tom for his exceptional course. It was so "attackable," with those big, long snakey sections, and even the tight stuff didn't feel tedious.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

I didn't mind the finish at all, I thought it a little devious and one of the many parts of the course that could trip you up if you weren't on your game.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Leonard Cachola wrote:I didn't mind the finish at all, I thought it a little devious and one of the many parts of the course that could trip you up if you weren't on your game.

Agree, and I presume the pictures Mako was taking will look great with so many cars sliding and counter steering.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

NOTE I changed the PHOTOS: January Practice & Renee Thread ... to PHOTOS: January RACE, Practice and ...
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Thank you so much Tom & Co. The course on Sunday was a ball to drive. And thank you on Saturday especially for "tuning" that exact spot on the course "somewhere" in which I did a 360 two laps in a row. First time spinning. Two feet in actually works unless it's after the car has stopped and stalled. And, by the way, how long did it take you guys ( and how many buckets) to strategically place all that water for Saturday morning? There certainly were some "hang on" moments (nano seconds) when all four wheels were hydro-planing.

Lovedit, loved it, loved it.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Was there a feeling that the course slightly favored speed maintance cars?
This isn't road racing! :) This is Solo, it's supposed to be about handling/agility/maneuverability. Snipped from the Solo rule book...

I.1.4 Solo Event A Solo Event is a non-speed driving skill contest such as, but not limited to, autocrosses and slaloms. These events are run on short courses that emphasize the driver's ability and the car's handling and agility.

1.2.1 A Solo Event is a non-speed driving skill contest such as, but not limited to, autocrosses and slaloms. These events are run on short courses that emphasize car handling and agility rather than speed or power. Competition licenses are not required and hazards to spectators, participants, and property do not exceed those encountered in normal, legal highway driving.

1.2.2 Autocross An autocross is an event generally held on a paved, flat surface, wherein the course typically consists of straight sections and connecting turns or corners, generally resembling a miniaturized road course. The course layout should be such as to emphasize car handling, driver skill, and maneuverability rather than performance. The course is generally well enough defined so that memory is not required to remain on course.

2. COURSE Solo courses should be open enough to allow good competition between larger and smaller cars, and should not emphasize high speed, power-to-weight ratio, extreme maneuverability, memory, or visual acuity.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Not sure what the "Road Racing" mention is about? (I'm back AX'ing! :- )

... but we've all heard that some course favor certain type of cars. Not complaining ... I would imagine it's difficult to consciously design courses that are perfectly balanced. I was just wondering if the consensus was that this course slightly favored speed maintenance cars/driving, for my own education.
solo course ... should not emphasize ... memory, or visual acuity.
Which is why I'm wondering out loud if we should have added a few more helpful hint lay down cones for Newbs. Tom ASKED ME if I had any suggestions or comments on the course before we ran. In hind sight I would have mentioned the directional aid cones. I was out on course for just a short time taking photos, but during that time I noticed a number of DNF's that might have been avoided.

... Mako, who once DNF'ed 5 of 6 ProSolo runs and all of my San Diego runs, at his 2nd and 3rd events, and who is starting to have short term memory issues, but isn't DNF'ing much these days. :P
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

But the rules do say, "generally resembling a miniature road course." I thought there were plenty of sections that tested agility.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Mako Koiwai wrote:I was just wondering if the consensus was that this course slightly favored speed maintenance cars/driving, for my own education.
I'm of the opinion that every car is a speed maintenance car, there are just some that are better at hiding it when you screw up ;)
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Was there a feeling that the course slightly favored speed maintance cars?
I don't think so, there was plenty of speed up/slow down. Perhaps your power car just doesn't feel like a power car on street tires. :ibrightdea:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

How did you feel about the Camaro on the same tires/sizes that we're using"?

On Sunday when Nick B and I drove the Vette in the afternoon it was very over steery on corner exit. I talked to Guy about it and he suggest dropping the rear a bit. I had been reluctant to because I thought it was important to keep a bit of rake in the Z06, and I couldn't drop the front anymore. Guy said forget the rake ... so I dropped the rear a few turns and the car felt transformed on Sunday ... but, it was warmer and I had a tire warmer. :D
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

I thought the course was well marked but that is likely because I wasn't going fast enough. I would not that the course designer DNF'd. There were I believe 10 DNF's among the PAX group so it may have been a little on the difficult side. }:)
Don Salyers
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Arthur Grant wrote:I thought the course was well marked but that is likely because I wasn't going fast enough. I would not that the course designer DNF'd. There were I believe 10 DNF's among the PAX group so it may have been a little on the difficult side. }:)

Art, there were a few cars that entered PAX class that would have been better served elsewhere.

Don
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I DNF'd twice. It had nothing to do with getting lost or lack of definition in my case. I just got side ways, once on cold tires and once due to lack of talent, and opted to bail wide rather than exercise the course workers.
Call me the "Anti-Palero". }:)
Last edited by Steve Ekstrand on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Arthur Grant wrote:I thought the course was well marked but that is likely because I wasn't going fast enough. I would not that the course designer DNF'd. There were I believe 10 DNF's among the PAX group so it may have been a little on the difficult side. }:)
I wouldn't equate DNF's to the course marking quality that much Art.

I had the course memorized and DNF'd more than once due to overdriving a section and then having to skip something giving me a DNF.

A newb DNFing three in a row and not knowing where it happened is a better indicator of the quality of the course marking IMHO.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Bill Schenker
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

May I suggest looking ahead, next time. :mrgreen:
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Pete Loney wrote:I had the course memorized and DNF'd more than once due to overdriving a section and then having to skip something giving me a DNF.
Steve Ekstrand wrote:I DNF'd twice. It had nothing to do with getting lost or lack of definition in my case. I just got side ways, once on cold tires and once due to lack of talent, and opted to bail wide rather than exercise the course workers.
Thanks for thinking of the workers! :thumbup:
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Pete Loney wrote:
I wouldn't equate DNF's to the course marking quality that much Art.

I had the course memorized and DNF'd more than once due to overdriving a section and then having to skip something giving me a DNF.

A newb DNFing three in a row and not knowing where it happened is a better indicator of the quality of the course marking IMHO.

I didn't think it was poorly marked, I was just giving Mako a little help. Like I said I had no problem finding my way around, I liked the course and thought the end was fine. There were a few sections that really rewarded the right strategy and the ability to execute that strategy. Walking the course with Mr. Yo I believe, helped me craft a good strategy, I just didn't execute to perfection. Having said that and with the fact that I was 3 seconds off of first, I don't think I could have done better with what I had than a second better which would have still been third.

The best part was having competition even if I didn't get to talk to them. The only thing I think would have made it better was if the announcer was able to let me know how far out of 1st or 2nd I was. I think knowing how much you have to pick up rather than guessing helps focus.
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Mako Koiwai wrote:How did you feel about the Camaro on the same tires/sizes that we're using"?
I think your pix sum it up pretty well. It was crazy loose until my 4th run when i finally got the mold release off and some heat in them. Had to be VERY soft on the gas pedal even though it had good mid corner grip and balance. So if your vette was anything like that I could see how you could think the course favored speed maintenance cars, but really it didn't (or at least not in an overwhelming way).
Joey Schilling

Post by Joey Schilling »

Thanks Tom! Your courses are always awesome and the one this last weekend was a good example
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Arthur Grant wrote:I thought the course was well marked but that is likely because I wasn't going fast enough.
Once you are going fast enough, you will find occasions when you realize you aren't going to make an element and rather than take out a bunch of cones you simply DNF to keep the course intact for the person behind you and maybe even save a bit of tire. :D
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

5/8th of the Novices DNF'ed their first run
sopac news

Post by sopac news »

Hey Solo gang, we seek Solo event results from Auto Club Speedway to place in SoPac News February issue. If someone can please direct us to the source we'd appreciate it. It would help tremendously if they were available in Excel.

Furthermore, we welcome any contribution to help us spread the word on CSCC Solo. We seek pre and post event news, photos, results, competitor profiles, feature stories, letters to the editor, free classified ads, etc.

We stopped by your event at Auto Club Speedway and enjoyed watching the high level of organization and high energy of everyone involved.

We also enjoyed seeing many Solo members participate in Renee's Memorial Lap during Saturday's lunch break.

Stay in touch with us by email: sopaconline@yahoo.com
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

sopac news wrote:Hey Solo gang, we seek Solo event results from Auto Club Speedway to place in SoPac News February issue. If someone can please direct us to the source we'd appreciate it. It would help tremendously if they were available in Excel.

Furthermore, we welcome any contribution to help us spread the word on CSCC Solo. We seek pre and post event news, photos, results, competitor profiles, feature stories, letters to the editor, free classified ads, etc.

We stopped by your event at Auto Club Speedway and enjoyed watching the high level of organization and high energy of everyone involved.

We also enjoyed seeing many Solo members participate in Renee's Memorial Lap during Saturday's lunch break.

Stay in touch with us by email: sopaconline@yahoo.com
viewforum.php?f=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Photos: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;