2012 San Diego National Tour 4/28-4/29

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

2012 San Diego National Tour 4/28-4/29

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Registration has opened for the 2012 San Diego National Tour

Event page: http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=3597" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Event Registration: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... 4558410765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Current Entries: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... 4558410765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2012 San Diego National Tour
Qualcomm Stadium

Site Address: Qualcomm Stadium*9449 Friars Rd*San Diego, CA 92108

Entry Cap: 325

Staff Hotel:
Days Inn Mission Valley Qualcomm
5343 Adobe Falls Road
San Diego, CA
619-287-1911

Site Restrictions:
Camping is allowed on site
Sound is restricted to 93 dB @ 50 feet
RV Camping is allowed in the pit area. No hookups available. A trolley is available on site to go to meals, shopping, etc.

There is nothing like the San Diego Tour, amazing site, top notch courses, live music and the best onsite breakfast burritos in all of autocross!

In a word, Qualcomm is epic. No other site in the country has the elevation change combined with sheer acreage that is the San Diego Tour. This year E-Mod’s own, Jeff Kiesel is set to design the course. Courses are typically in the 60-second range, and feature some of the most challenging on and off camber elements in the country. There is a strictly enforced sound limit at Qualcomm due to it’s location in the city of San Diego. However, this also makes the San Diego Tour a fantastic event to bring along the non-competitive members of the family to enjoy the sand, sun and food. Speaking of food, don’t forget to head west on “The 8” to Ocean Beach for fish tacos at or just stop at the nearest In-n-Out Burger on your way back to the hotel for a delicious, yet extremely budget friendly California experience. For breakfast, count on a chorizo burrito from the on site taco truck!

Qualcomm Stadium

9449 Friars Rd

San Diego, CA 92108

The competition at a National Tour takes place over two days on two separate courses, like Solo Nationals. The first day, competitors each get three runs or chances to drive one of the courses and on the second day they get three runs on the other course. Like any other Solo competition, runs are timed to 1/1000th of a second and knocking a cone down means a penalty of 2 seconds added to that time. The best times from each course are added together for the final class standings. All classes at National Tours are the same, standard Solo classes that you’ll find at Solo Nationals and as defined by the SCCA in the Solo Rulebook.

Registration Fee $102. After April, 23, 2012, 12pm CDT all entries must be faxed or scanned to the National office. A non-refundable fee of $138.00 is due for entries received after 12pm CDT.
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Re: 2012 San Diego National Tour 4/28-4/29

Post by Will Kalman »

Ugh, no live music this time, please. Or at least turn it down to 1/10th the volume of last year where nobody could even talk while trapped in the registration line. :evil: :cry: :evil:
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

I'm with Will save the money on the live music. I can't recall anyone hanging in front of the band, or dancing out in front. If the music is for ambiance, cd's or satellite work just fine. In either case, 1/10th the volume would be nice, we were even yelling in tech (much farther away then Reg was) once the band started just to be heard by those still coming through.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

I wasn't there for a concert, but I did enjoy the bands and applaud Jeff's effort in offer something different. Unfortunately, the party atmosphere that I think Jeff was hoping for never materialized, so I would have to agree that it wasn't received as well as it could have been. I think for a group made up of mostly middle aged and above old farts, several cases of light beer and a half a dozen strippers probably would have been received better. :)
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

George Schilling wrote:I think for a group made up of mostly middle aged and above old farts, several cases of light beer and a half a dozen strippers probably would have been received better. :)
Some of us are planning Solo's largest bible study. You can bring your "half a dozen strippers" with you. We'll save seats for ya. Don't forget the beer. :lol:
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Daryl Lane

Post by Daryl Lane »

When is someone ready for their first National Tour event? Thinking of getting our feet wet this April.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Do it! My 2nd or 3rd event was a Pro Solo. The New street tire classes need your support. It's a lovely fun experience
George Schilling
Club Representative

Daryl Lane wrote:When is someone ready for their first National Tour event? Thinking of getting our feet wet this April.
If you're asking......your ready! Go sign up!
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Daryl Lane

Post by Daryl Lane »

But even the sign up procedure looks so intimidating... :D

And - So no big time fast guys gonna give us the evil eye when we get the deer in the headlights faces? :shock:

I do think we will be there - maybe just Adam will drive and I will be working on figuring out the procedure for the events. Two days of two drivers on my DD I need to get to work may be a little much for the old girl. So what class would our 1980 FSP car fit into for street tire classes? We do run dot tires on it now anyway.

I would love to have the other car running by the pro solo at El Toro it has a little more power as well as a little better handling.
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Daryl Lane wrote:But even the sign up procedure looks so intimidating... :D

And - So no big time fast guys gonna give us the evil eye when we get the deer in the headlights faces? :shock:

I do think we will be there - maybe just Adam will drive and I will be working on figuring out the procedure for the events. Two days of two drivers on my DD I need to get to work may be a little much for the old girl. So what class would our 1980 FSP car fit into for street tire classes? We do run dot tires on it now anyway.

I would love to have the other car running by the pro solo at El Toro it has a little more power as well as a little better handling.

No more work on the old girl than running one driver on a practice day. Your only talking 12 runs over two days between you.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Daryl Lane wrote:But even the sign up procedure looks so intimidating... :D

Daryl, we all started with the first. You'll probably get smoked. Heck, I still get smoked and I've been doing it for a few years now. But it's fun, you'll meet new friends, you'll learn how a national level event works, you'll have an all around good time. For an event like this, the party starts on Friday with the test n tune, registration, and the welcome party that usually starts at 5:00. So plan on making it a weekend. :thumbup:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

And check out the Hotel thread in the Off Topic section, to see about getting a decent hotel at a discount.
Daryl Lane

Post by Daryl Lane »

Mako Koiwai wrote:And check out the Hotel thread in the Off Topic section, to see about getting a decent hotel at a discount.
Adam is going to school and lives in Chula Vista so I am "sure" he will let me sleep in the car in the garage... :)
Adam Lane

Post by Adam Lane »

Daryl Lane wrote: Adam is going to school and lives in Chula Vista so I am "sure" he will let me sleep in the car in the garage... :)
Dont be so sure, Dad.. That would mean my e30 would have to sleep outside, you know I couldn't let that happen. ;)
Warren Leach

Post by Warren Leach »

I can say for a fact that there will be no live music at this year Tour.

And like someone said above, if you are asking if you are ready, you are ready. Join up!

It looks like we could use some more STR entries. :roll:

I plan on being there!

nalbar
Brian Peters

Post by Brian Peters »

FYI, Goodyear Race Tires will be onsite over the weekend with full tire services available. Additionally, for those that are running Goodyears at the upcoming National events, there will be contingency support. Typical requirements listed below, claims to be made through Jim Doughty at Carroll Shelby Goodyear (602) 437-4977.
The 2012 Goodyear Tire Contingency for all SCCA Solo events (National Tours, Pro Solos and the National Championship) is as follows:
1st Place - 2 tires
2nd Place - 1 tire

**Must be a minimum of 5 cars in a class for 1st & 2nd place payouts.
You do not need to register in advance to be eligible for this contingency. You can download the form and get registered at the event. Of course you must use Goodyears at all four corners and run the appropriate GDY stickers ( 3 in total ).
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Can we stay on site Thursday night?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mark Duerst
Club: GRA
Car#: 173

Post by Mark Duerst »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Can we stay on site Thursday night?
Yes - we will be setting up Thursday during the day. Usually Cal and a few others arrive Thursday during the day.
Mark Duerst
Aaron Goldsmith

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Run/work and sups are posted:
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=50996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PLEASE people.. leave your quiet exhaust on for this event. I've been a sound steward at national events 5 or so times now, it's not fun to take people's run away just because their exhaust is too loud. So far I've only had to do it twice at Nationals. Make sure you bring something with you to remediate any sound issues if you think you're even going to be close.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:Run/work and sups are posted:
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=50996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
who the heck is that op steward, Marshall Grise guy? he almost has the same name as me... :mrt:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Sounds familiar? ... anyway, is Scott basically Chief of Workers ?
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Sounds familiar? ... anyway, is Scott basically Chief of Workers ?
if you mean Scott Mchugh, no he's an op steward. There really isn't a chief of workers. nationals staff handles assignments and either chief of course does the checking in or someone is assigned to do it per heat.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:PLEASE people.. leave your quiet exhaust on for this event. I've been a sound steward at national events 5 or so times now, it's not fun to take people's run away just because their exhaust is too loud. So far I've only had to do it twice at Nationals. Make sure you bring something with you to remediate any sound issues if you think you're even going to be close.
Note to my illustrious codriver - I just changed the header on the car. Car sounds like it is being attacked by angry bees now. Please bring ear plugs!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Is the run work order up?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Is the run work order up?
5 posts up.