2012 El Toro Pro Solo 5/5-5/6

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

2012 El Toro Pro Solo 5/5-5/6

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Registration has opened for the 2012 El Toro Pro Solo

Event page: http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=3598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Event Registration: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... 705FBAB09B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Current Entries: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... 705FBAB09B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Event Schedule: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... hedule.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is our Locally run National event, also the best in the country! :D

2012 El Toro ProSolo
El Toro Airfield

Site Address: El Toro* 4000 Marine Way*Irvine, CA 92618 *

Entry Cap: 230

Site Restrictions: No camping, No Alcohol

Sound Policy: Per Appendix I of the 2011 Solo Rules - Competitors that receive a reading of 100 db @ 50 feet or higher will be considered noncompliant.

Staff Hotel: La Quinta Inn* 14972 Sand Canyon*Irvine, CA 92618*949-551-0909

Bottom Line:
At some autocross sites you are lucky to get a 45 second course. At the El Toro Pro, 45 seconds is just one side.

The El Toro Pro is the best of ProSolo. It combines a high grip surface, outstanding competition and some of the best Pro courses in the sport. As of last report, event Chair Tom Berry is in high level negotiations to bring in a designer from out of region, but is not prepared to name names. Regardless, El Toro courses are always fast and fun. The competition at the El Toro Pro is always fierce, with names like Thomason, Motonishi and Kiesel battling for class points and overall honors. Don’t forget to have fun while you are there, Locals recommend Tia Juana’s Long Bar and Grill for good food and top shelf Tequilas and the Friday night welcome party features legendary chili and guacamole. Over the years, lots of Soloist have opted to stay in warm Southern California for the week between the San Diego Tour and the El Toro ProSolo and enjoy everything from Joshua Tree National Park to Disneyland.

El Toro Airfield

6953 Marine Way

Irvine, CA 92618

The Tire Rack SCCA ProSolo combines the excitement of drag racing and the skill of Solo on side-by-side, mirror image autocross courses. Lining up at the familiar "Christmas Tree" start, drivers compete heads up in various classes by combining their fastest times from each course. After class competition is completed, all ProSolo events feature the top drivers from each class, competing heat-to-head in a variety of single-elimination, handicapped challenges. The Gumout Super Challenge determines the Top Eliminator fro the event, the Ladies Challenge draws from the two Ladies classes, the Honda Tuner Challenge draws from the six "Street" classes, and the Bonus Challenge is for those who have not qualified for one of the other challenges.

Two At A Time - The ProSolo National Series provides National level competition is a series structure using all of the regular national solo classes. Entrants must be SCCA members; weekend memberships will be accepted for the series but not for the Finale. There are two Championships up for grabs in the ProSolo National Series, the Class Cup, where series points are scored based on the best two finishes of the first three events in class plus the championship Finale and the Challenge Cup, which counts the best two challenge finishes of the first three events in challenge competition plus the ProSolo Finale challenge finish.

The ProSolo National Series Championship provides opportunities and excitement for every level of Solo competitor. From the casual competitor that wants the thrill of "racing" against their buddy from a drag start, to the national level competitor wanting to run a limited series, to the accomplished competitor looking for the ultimate "Challenge". The ProSolo National Series Championship has something for every soloist!

Last edited by Aaron Goldsmith on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Re: 2012 El Toro Pro Solo 5/5-5/6

Post by Arthur Grant »

Thanks for posting, in and I have my number. Very cool
Steve O'Blenes

Post by Steve O'Blenes »

This is our Locally run National event, also the best in the county!
I guess we need to step it up a bit :shock:
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve O'Blenes wrote:This is our Locally run National event, also the best in the county!
I guess we need to step it up a bit :shock:
...as well as in the COUNTRY! :)
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Collin Webster
Car#: 901

Post by Collin Webster »

I'm registered! Although I've done ProSolo the last 3 or 4 years in a row, this is my first year in the Miata, and I'll only be able to attend the April practice event before the Pro-Solo... I may need some help setting her up! Can't wait for this years event!
'06 Mazda MX-5 Miata - STR Starting Point
'08 MazdaSpeed 3 STU - FWD basket case
- The loosest nut in my cars is still the one behind the wheel.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Collin Webster wrote:I'm registered! Although I've done ProSolo the last 3 or 4 years in a row, this is my first year in the Miata, and I'll only be able to attend the April practice event before the Pro-Solo... I may need some help setting her up! Can't wait for this years event!
There's a couple San Diego events and a speedventures autox between now and then if you need to get seat time in.

Jay W
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Are there any rule changes for the ProSolo format? Is the fastest CSCC points card holder in each class the person who sets that points or will CSCC points be developed from the fastest person in the class regardless if there a cscc point card holder?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Anthony Porta wrote:Are there any rule changes for the ProSolo format? Is the fastest CSCC points card holder in each class the person who sets that points or will CSCC points be developed from the fastest person in the class regardless if there a cscc point card holder?
A ProSolo is not a CSCC points event.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Aaron Goldsmith

Anthony Porta wrote:Are there any rule changes for the ProSolo format? Is the fastest CSCC points card holder in each class the person who sets that points or will CSCC points be developed from the fastest person in the class regardless if there a cscc point card holder?

SCCA ProSolo National Series points only.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Thank you.
John Theodore

Post by John Theodore »

The number list for the event only goes up to 199 - the number I run locally is 299. Should I plan on running a different number at this event, or should I just pick a number from the list?
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

John Theodore wrote:The number list for the event only goes up to 199 - the number I run locally is 299. Should I plan on running a different number at this event, or should I just pick a number from the list?
You must run an available number from 1-99. If you have a co-driver, that person will be 1XX of what ever number you pick. The numbers are determined by class, so you'll see people with the same number, just in different classes.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Timothy Aing

Post by Timothy Aing »

I see that the prosolo is a 3 day event. What typically happens on Friday? I do not think I will be able to call off work that day if Friday is a mandatory race/registration/etc day.
Aaron Goldsmith

Timothy Aing wrote:I see that the prosolo is a 3 day event. What typically happens on Friday? I do not think I will be able to call off work that day if Friday is a mandatory race/registration/etc day.
if you can make it before 6 it'd be good. take a look at the schedule posted: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... hedule.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You also should really read the pro solo rules, they're only 25 pages long. http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... Rules4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

I'm entered in the Pro Solo, as well as the National the week prior. But I'm unclear as to whether there is a separate cost pertaining to the Friday Practice/Test N Tune for each event. If it's there somewhere on each registration I can't find or missed it.

Can someone direct me?
2001 NB Miata
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Ed - and Tim - yes, there is a separate cost for the practice on Friday. You pay cash, on site.

At the Pro, the practice will be launches. You'll have a chance to practice lining up in the staging lights, dial in your launch timing for the Christmas Tree, figure out the launch revs you'd like to use and see or hear what your reaction time and 60' times were on the launch. The practice generally runs midday to mid-afternoon, so if you can be on site by 1:00 or 2:00, that would be recommended. The courses will also be open for walking when the practice launches aren't running, so you can put your time to good use there too.

The courses will be open for walking Saturday morning, as will Tech for a short while, so you can still cover all the essentials getting there Saturday by about 7:00am. Still, a little time spent on site Friday afternoon is rewarding not only for the practice launches and relaxed course walks, but also for the welcome dinner that's included in your entry fee.

Mike
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mike Simanyi wrote:Ed - and Tim - yes, there is a separate cost for the practice on Friday. You pay cash, on site.

At the Pro, the practice will be launches. You'll have a chance to practice lining up in the staging lights, dial in your launch timing for the Christmas Tree, figure out the launch revs you'd like to use and see or hear what your reaction time and 60' times were on the launch. The practice generally runs midday to mid-afternoon, so if you can be on site by 1:00 or 2:00, that would be recommended. The courses will also be open for walking when the practice launches aren't running, so you can put your time to good use there too.

The courses will be open for walking Saturday morning, as will Tech for a short while, so you can still cover all the essentials getting there Saturday by about 7:00am. Still, a little time spent on site Friday afternoon is rewarding not only for the practice launches and relaxed course walks, but also for the welcome dinner that's included in your entry fee.

Mike
Also, if this is your first ProSolo, I HIGHLY recommend the Evo School's Hole Shot class. It's on Friday, and the cost of the class is almost paid for by the number of practice launches you get. Basically, the Evo folks walk you through everything you need to know about ProSolos so you feel more comfortable with the procedures and processes. It's invaluable.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Mike Simanyi wrote:Ed - and Tim - yes, there is a separate cost for the practice on Friday. You pay cash, on site.

Mike
Also, if this is your first ProSolo, I HIGHLY recommend the Evo School's Hole Shot class. It's on Friday, and the cost of the class is almost paid for by the number of practice launches you get. Basically, the Evo folks walk you through everything you need to know about ProSolos so you feel more comfortable with the procedures and processes. It's invaluable.
Thank you Mike and Kurt for the explainations. I appreciate your taking the time. Any idea as to cost on Friday?
2001 NB Miata
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

http://dev.evoschool.com/index.php?page ... el-toro-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like $30. Well worth it!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Just signed up for it. Thanks for the recommendation, Kurt. Reading the ProSolo rules, it does seem like there's little room for error in the staging/starting process... it will be nice to have a nice, relaxed explanation, and some opportunity to ruin my back tires. :mrgreen:
Timothy Aing

Post by Timothy Aing »

Mike Simanyi wrote: The courses will be open for walking Saturday morning, as will Tech for a short while, so you can still cover all the essentials getting there Saturday by about 7:00am. Still, a little time spent on site Friday afternoon is rewarding not only for the practice launches and relaxed course walks, but also for the welcome dinner that's included in your entry fee.

Mike
Hi Mike, so can you confirm that everything happening on Friday is optional? Aaron stated that everyone has to register on Friday and it sounds like we are unable to register on Saturday morning. I will not be able to make it there on Friday. If I cannot register, then I might as well cancel my entry on mortorsportreg.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Timothy Aing wrote: Hi Mike, so can you confirm that everything happening on Friday is optional? Aaron stated that everyone has to register on Friday and it sounds like we are unable to register on Saturday morning. I will not be able to make it there on Friday. If I cannot register, then I might as well cancel my entry on mortorsportreg.
They always have Registration and Tech open Saturday for people who cannot make Friday. You'll be rushed, but it can be done.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Yes, Max is correct.

Just do NOT be late. If I were you, I'd arrive by 7:00 at the latest. You'll have to get through Registration and Tech, which should be quick since most entrants wrap that up on Friday, and walk the courses so you know where they go.

You don't have to try to walk them three or four times though, as you'll have at least six runs on each side between the Saturday AM / PM and Sunday AM run groups. Just find the key cones you want to look ahead for and you should be able to figure it out from there.

And remember to stick around on Sunday and sign up for the Bonus Challenge if you don't get into the Super Challenge! It's filled by drawing names out of a hat / bucket / Max's Gold Bond storage bin, so everyone who puts their name in has a chance to get some more runs.

Mike
Timothy Aing

Post by Timothy Aing »

Perfect! That is great news. I would have been majorly disappointed if I couldn't make the pro solo this year. Thanks guys!
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Mike Simanyi wrote:Yes, Max is correct.

Just do NOT be late.
I would suggest you take what ever it is you are using for an alarm clock and throw it in a lake and get a new one that plays Justin Bieber really loud so you'll actually be forced to wake up and turn it off. }:) Don't be late!
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins