Photos/videos March 18th PSCC Autocross Sunday

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Davin Swanson
Club: CASOC
Car#: 979

Photos/videos March 18th PSCC Autocross Sunday

Post by Davin Swanson »

http://youtu.be/3rkOYO9BgXg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4th run, my best of day. 90.371 sec. I never got the turnaround at 0:23 correct... first two runs I blew past it and the last two I slowed down waaaaay too much.

Congrats to Kurt for another win in SK2! Watch your back, buddy. :mrgreen:
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Re: Photos/videos March 18th PSCC Autocross Sunday

Post by Ed Holley »

Davin Swanson wrote:http://youtu.be/3rkOYO9BgXg

4th run, my best of day. 90.371 sec. I never got the turnaround at 0:23 correct... first two runs I blew past it and the last two I slowed down waaaaay too much.

Congrats to Kurt for another win in SK2! Watch your back, buddy. :mrgreen:
THAT is a GREAT run, Davin! Maybe I can't tell from the video, but it looked as though you got the 0:23 "turnaround" quite well on this run, and your time would certainly suggest that was true. I'm amazed at your smoothness and that "newBee" Miata has power. Certainly compared to my oldie. BTW, how did you like the Star Specs? Wait til it's warmer weatherwise.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Davin Swanson wrote:Congrats to Kurt for another win in SK2! Watch your back, buddy. :mrgreen:
Davin, you kicked butt today! I couldn't believe some of the times you put down. You're learning fast!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Davin Swanson

Post by Davin Swanson »

Thanks guys! Ed, I think I slowed down way too much in that corner. For some reason I was thinking that I had to slalom onto the other side of the first cone after the apex, so I was setting myself up for that. I think I could have taken a faster line. Loving the star specs, but I think the -1.4/-1.9 deg camber alignment is helping too. My whole tread gets warm now instead of just the outer third. :thumbup:
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Here's my run (84.086)
http://youtu.be/r-MGGEgbS80?hd=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Here are my first (91.598) and fourth (88.863) runs in SK2:

http://youtu.be/6hrgpypgL0g
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Tetsu Fukui
Club: No$
Car#: 308

Post by Tetsu Fukui »

Here's mine, Second run group run #4 85.908

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsHKTufL0lE
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCS8VKz7nvQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

82.426 - 2nd in STR... again... :lol: :evil:
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Here's my last run, an 89.247. I love this course. I was on the limiter for a while in three different places. Yee haw!

http://vimeo.com/38807769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I thought this was interesting to watch. My last run and Max's last run side by side (so to speak). Same car, same course, same conditions. You can get a good idea how little things ( poor car position, getting behind, braking too late, lifting off the gas when you should have been flat, how soon you can get on the gas out of a corner, etc.) can add up quickly to make your time longer.

BTW, audio is from my run. It was interesting to compare the sound of our acceleration too, but it was really annoying to listen to at the same time

http://vimeo.com/38808624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Kurt Rahn on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Kurt Rahn wrote:I thought this was interesting to watch. My last run and Max's last run side by side (so to speak). Same car, same course, same conditions. You can get a good idea how little things ( poor car position, getting behind, braking too late, lifting off the gas when you should have been flat, how soon you can get on the gas out of a corner, etc.) can add up quickly to make your time longer.

Might have been interesting to you Kurt.......had me spinning in my chair before the end of the first slalom.

But it will be interesting for you to keep that and compare the same thing a couple years from now. Folks may not remember that I used to beat Joey routinely. Now the only way I can beat him is if he doesn't show up. :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Davin Swanson

Post by Davin Swanson »

George Schilling wrote: But it will be interesting for you to keep that and compare the same thing a couple years from now. Folks may not remember that I used to beat Joey routinely. Now the only way I can beat him is if he doesn't show up.
Crap... TWO Rahns to beat! Kurt, can't you tell Max to take up, like, knitting or something instead of autox? }:)
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

George Schilling wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:I thought this was interesting to watch. My last run and Max's last run side by side (so to speak). Same car, same course, same conditions. You can get a good idea how little things ( poor car position, getting behind, braking too late, lifting off the gas when you should have been flat, how soon you can get on the gas out of a corner, etc.) can add up quickly to make your time longer.

Might have been interesting to you Kurt.......had me spinning in my chair before the end of the first slalom.

But it will be interesting for you to keep that and compare the same thing a couple years from now. Folks may not remember that I used to beat Joey routinely. Now the only way I can beat him is if he doesn't show up. :lol:
Oh, I know it's coming. I have to get my licks in now while I can :lol:
==============
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Kurt Rahn wrote:You can get a good idea how little things ( poor car position, getting behind, braking too late, lifting off the gas when you should have been flat, how soon you can get on the gas out of a corner, etc.) can add up quickly to make your time longer.
Yeah... every time I think I drove pretty well, I go home and look at the data with the video and just do one big <headdesk>. :oops:
~Leonard Cachola
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Jonathan Lugod wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCS8VKz7nvQ

82.426 - 2nd in STR... again... :lol: :evil:
Thanks for keeping the announcements going at the end. Priceless. :lol:
~Leonard Cachola
Curt Thompson
Car#: 303

Post by Curt Thompson »

This was my first ever autocross event and it was a blast! I was a little disoriented since I didn't know how to do anything and don't know anybody who has done it before. It also didn't help that I was only able to sleep for about 3 hours Sat night but none of that matters--I'm definitely doing it again next month and eventually I'll get the hang of it :D :D

First Run (ever):
http://youtu.be/LqfHuNE42PE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last Run:
http://youtu.be/cK-jhpkadd8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I had another 50 runs or so I think I might have been able to match the time the instructor set in my car ;)
1999 Mazda Miata
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:You can get a good idea how little things ( poor car position, getting behind, braking too late, lifting off the gas when you should have been flat, how soon you can get on the gas out of a corner, etc.) can add up quickly to make your time longer.
Yeah... every time I think I drove pretty well, I go home and look at the data with the video and just do one big <headdesk>. :oops:
Amen! I've got over 4 years worth of data from the evo and every single run has some sort of mistake in it.

The really tough part is finding the mistakes you can't see yourself and then training yourself to see them so that you can fix them. I used to think I did "perfect" laps all the time....and then i started putting my data next to Toms. :o
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Curt Thompson wrote:Last Run:
Hi Curt, welcome to the addiction! Hope you had fun and will make it out to more events. Were you able to get any instruction during your runs?

One comment on your video, though - in the future, no hand-held cameras for either your passengers or you during your run, please. It's a safety issue. The last thing you want is for that camera to become a projectile and hit you, your passenger, or a course worker. Thanks.
~Leonard Cachola
Julian Manolov
Car#: 2

Post by Julian Manolov »

Marshall Grice wrote:and then i started putting my data next to Toms. :o
that's cheating ... :P
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Julian Manolov wrote:
Based on Sunday's results, it works quite well though.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Curt Thompson

Post by Curt Thompson »

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Curt Thompson wrote:Last Run:
Hi Curt, welcome to the addiction! Hope you had fun and will make it out to more events. Were you able to get any instruction during your runs?

One comment on your video, though - in the future, no hand-held cameras for either your passengers or you during your run, please. It's a safety issue. The last thing you want is for that camera to become a projectile and hit you, your passenger, or a course worker. Thanks.
Understood. For the record, I didn't ask her to record anything and if she had warned me what she was going to do I would have told her not to. In any case, it won't happen in the future. Funnily enough, the video in question is about 90 seconds of dashboard and totally pointless. :oops:

As for instruction, I was able to get one instructor run and one lap with the instructor as a passenger (after my 1st run DNF'd) so I did three on my own. I would have done more but I think there were only a couple of instructors available and the one who helped me had to go help some other people.

Definitely coming out for more events; in fact I'm about to register for the April event so I'll see you there.

My wife is a photographer & took some photos in the time she wasn't trying to get me in trouble by taking video in the car. Some of them can be seen here:
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/815351/ ... s?h=d836ba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1999 Mazda Miata
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Leonard Cachola wrote:One comment on your video, though - in the future, no hand-held cameras for either your passengers or you during your run, please. It's a safety issue. The last thing you want is for that camera to become a projectile and hit you, your passenger, or a course worker. Thanks.
I always thought this was a strange rule - we're wearing helmets and who can't take a body shot from a 1-pound camera (or much less in the case of a smartphone)?
Curt Thompson

Post by Curt Thompson »

Will Kalman wrote:
Leonard Cachola wrote:One comment on your video, though - in the future, no hand-held cameras for either your passengers or you during your run, please. It's a safety issue. The last thing you want is for that camera to become a projectile and hit you, your passenger, or a course worker. Thanks.
I always thought this was a strange rule - we're wearing helmets and who can't take a body shot from a 1-pound camera (or much less in the case of a smartphone)?
Maybe more likely than that is a case where the phone/camera slips out of the passenger's hands and slides around on the dashboard distracting the driver, possibly endangering the courseworkers who expect the driver to be paying attention to the course. Plus, there's the tearing up as you watch your $600 phone fly out the window at 60MPH. :o
1999 Mazda Miata
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Will Kalman wrote:
1lb cameras are a relatively new thing. i think when the rule came about people were still leaning video cameras on their shoulders. :lol:
Julian Manolov
Car#: 2

Post by Julian Manolov »

Rick Brown wrote:
Julian Manolov wrote:
Based on Sunday's results, it works quite well though.
if it was not working well it wouldn't be cheating ... :lol: