April course...kudos to Kurt!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: April course...kudos to Kurt!

Post by Kurt Rahn »

John Stimson wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:John Stimson - I think you mean 45'?
Yeah, 45'. I drove at an event with a minimum-spaced slalom, and pretty much everyone's reaction was "KILL ME NOW". This one was work, but not that bad.
The intention was to let people hang themselves on the second cone. The first spacing was 45' but the was 55' and the rest were 66'. Hopefully it wasn't too painful.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

i thought the slalom was perfect... if you weren't on top of that first cone you got behind really quick. The increase in spacing helped out but still gave a sense of rhythm needed to do it "fast." Big Kudos to you! :gpower:
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

After reading more comments after my post, I would like to congratulate you for actually offering an optional slalom.
Admittedly I have missed a lot of events in the last year and a half... So based solely on those I have managed to attend...

While a give take option with benefits / penalties is also a nice variation, I can't remember the last time in LA where I had a choice no matter the circumstances. So often were either required to take the obvious easy way (as the poste above felt should have existed), or forced to take the hard and/or painful way, all because of a forced pointer cone directional. This specific slalom required one to not only look ahead, but thing (remember?) ahead. While the rules specifically state a course should not require memorization, some thought process beyond simply looking ahead for the next directional should exist. Personally I think all courses should have three non directional slalom. This typically tosses out the "just go right (or left)" possibilities, and can create benefits for those who actually look at and learn their course. That's why you walk it several times, correct?
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

But National courses Never have optional slaloms, and everything is just practice for Nationals
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

I thought the course was fantastic. Especially the area just preceding the large left hand sweeper before the Chicago box. Really really good stuff
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Mako Koiwai wrote:But National courses Never have optional slaloms, and everything is just practice for Nationals
Is it bad that I agree with Mako? :) Having to remember which way to go on multiple slaloms is just needless annoyance.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Eric Clements wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:But National courses Never have optional slaloms, and everything is just practice for Nationals
Is it bad that I agree with Mako? :) Having to remember which way to go on multiple slaloms is just needless annoyance.
i dislike optional slaloms as well... in a sense it creates two courses. I would hate to lose a championship due to not doing the slalom the same way my competitors were. If that makes any sense. I prefer one course and the best driver to perform it best is the winner.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
John Stimson
Club: PSCC
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

There was an optional-direction pair of gates at the 2005 National Championships. Optional features are rare, but they do show up at national events. It gives you a choice of line, but with two discrete options instead of the continuum you get when the course is really wide.

I just wanted to point out the logistical drawbacks to having an unmarked slalom at a local event. I don't see any positives. I don't think the lack of a pointer on Sunday posed any additional challenge for experienced drivers, but it may have tripped up some new people. Ideally, I'd want to challenge the veterans without confusing new drivers.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Eric Clements wrote:
All slaloms used to be optional!
I don't think I saw a pointer cone for the first 10 years I was autocrossing...

As if seeing Berry girls all grown up and married didn't make me feel old enough as it is.
Thanks a lot.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Robert Puertas wrote:All slaloms used to be optional!
I don't think I saw a pointer cone for the first 10 years I was autocrossing...
Yep, that's the way I remember it. Lots of discussions standing at the entrance to slaloms trying to decide the fastest way to go. In fact, I can remember Craig Angel using an optional *short cut* in a course.

For a practice, I like optional slaloms so one can see the effect both ways. For a championship, a defined slalom makes sense in that we're all driving the same course.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

John Stimson wrote:I just wanted to point out the logistical drawbacks to having an unmarked slalom at a local event. I don't see any positives. I don't think the lack of a pointer on Sunday posed any additional challenge for experienced drivers, but it may have tripped up some new people. Ideally, I'd want to challenge the veterans without confusing new drivers.
Actually, as it was originally designed, it was a five-cone slalom that had benefits and drawbacks to entering at either side, but we had to extend it by a cone on switchover so we could slow the course down (if you weren't there, it was really fun but waaaaaay too fast). I actually went in on the wrong side on my first run :oops: We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I like making people plan and think a bit.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

I guess it all depends on experience. Having run for about 30 years before there were pointers, to me it's no big deal to have options. Just part of the game to decide which way benefits your particular car more. And sometimes you change that after your first run. As far as Novices, that's why there is a Novice course walk.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

George Schilling wrote: For a championship, a defined slalom makes sense in that we're all driving the same course.
They are running the same course, everyone has the same option. No different than choosing a particular line over another.
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

George Schilling wrote:In fact, I can remember Craig Angel using an optional *short cut* in a course.
I remember those......now I feel old!!! Thanks George. :D
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

Will Kalman wrote:
George Schilling wrote: For a championship, a defined slalom makes sense in that we're all driving the same course.
They are running the same course, everyone has the same option. No different than choosing a particular line over another.
They're all optional. You just DNF if you go the wrong way. :thumbup: