2012 Ladies School - November 24th

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

2012 Ladies School - November 24th

Post by KJ Christopher »

SCCA and Cal Club Presents
The 2012 Ladies Solo Driving School
Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hey Girls! Wanna have some fun? I mean some serious FUN! No, we're not talking about shopping! We’re talking CARS.......GIRLS and their CARS! Driving FAST! We’re talking about a smile from ear to ear. We’re talking about the Cal Club 2012 Ladies Solo Driving School at AAA Speedway in Fontana.

Now, why would Cal Club want to treat the girls to a day of cars and fast driving? Simple......we want to introduce women to SCCA Solo Competition, or autocross as it’s more commonly known. And why not.....the guys are doing it. Why not more women? There are a few, but not nearly as many as the guys. Why should us girls be left out? After all, it’s a blast!

But our goal is not just about having fun and getting more women involved (though that’s a BIG part of the equation). We want to make you a better driver. By teaching car control techniques, course strategies and other driving skills required to safely navigate an autocross course, you’ll become one. The instructors for this school are talented women who are experienced competitors and driving coaches. Most are multi-time regional and national Solo Champions who are volunteering their time to expand the ranks of women in our beloved sport.

Wait a minute......what is “autocross”?

Autocross is a “slow-speed driver skill contest” where single lap times are used to determine the winner. Autocross events are usually held in large parking lots or on inactive airport runways. The courses, defined by orange traffic cones, are designed such that most cars will not be required to be driven in a gear higher than second gear and no faster than driven on the highway. The emphasis is car control, especially when cornering. This school is designed for women who have never autocrossed before, or who have less than two years experience. Participant safety is our number one priority. SCCA Solo Safety Stewards approve the course and are present the whole day.

Our main goal is that the students have fun and build confidence as they learn:
  • The basics of analyzing the course during the course walk
    Basic car handling techniques and driving skills
    Competitive driving strategies.
Cars will be inspected for safety (“Technical Inspection” – a.k.a. “Tech”) before being allowed to participate.

We’re going to need some help!

Schools don't run by themselves......we need help! That's where your sponsor (parents, spouses, boyfriends, partners, significant others, friends) comes in. While you're having the time of your life pushing your car to the limit, they'll be serving as part of the support team and helping with the event. Sure, we'll give them breaks from time to time, and I'm sure we can pony up for some free food, but the real reward comes at the end of the day when your sponsor gets behind the wheel of your car for a couple tries at the course and tries to best your fastest time. If they win, dinner is on you! But if you paid attention, don't worry.........it’s your sponsor who’ll be footing the bill!

What do I need to bring?
  • A car with the trunk and interior contents unloaded
    A helmet if you have one (SNELL 2000 or newer)
    Drivers license or learner’s permit
    A good attitude
That’s it! We’ll take care of the rest! This is your day to relax and have fun!

So, save the date! Registration is now open - just download the application below. Registration closes November 9, 2012.

Sharing of cars by students is not allowed due to the format of this school.

What the school is not:
This school is not to intended to teach someone how to drive a car, a “Teen Safe Driving School” or an introduction to driving or learning to drive a manual transmission (“stick shift”). Although new drivers with a “learner’s permit” are allowed, participants should already have basic competency in their vehicle’s operation and basic car controls established in the car that they will be driving in the school. No special competition licenses or certificates will be issued at the conclusion of the course.
Attachments
ladiesschoolapplication.docx.pdf
(59.52 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
2012CalClubLadiesSoloSchoolFlier.docx.pdf
(888.37 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Last edited by KJ Christopher on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: 2012 Ladies School - November 24th

Post by Mako Koiwai »

The link doesn't open in three of my four browsers ... is there a better way to create the flyer link?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Mako Koiwai wrote:The link doesn't open in three of my four browsers ... is there a better way to create the flyer link?
http://tinyurl.com/SchoolApp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://tinyurl.com/SchoolFlier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Better, works with Safari and Chrome but not Camino and Firefox ... on my Mac
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Better, works with Safari and Chrome but not Camino and Firefox ... on my Mac
Works with all my browsers on my PC and with my Droid phone. Draw your own conclusions. ;)
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

As long as the link to this page works, we are good. All the external advertising should link here so we only have one place to edit. Would be cool if prior year participants posted photos or stories of good times.
kj
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Two recruits already from a posting on my Facebook page. Face book is a great place to reach a great number of women, so copy the link and get it posted. If you can add some videos, that would be great. Let's get this event filled. :D
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Julie Van
Car#: 369

Post by Julie Van »

I'll be mailing in my form first thing Monday morning! Thanks for organizing this everyone! :)
Julie Van
Julie Van
Car#: 369

Post by Julie Van »

I know there's a tech sheet somewhere on the forum...and I think I've seen it before, but can someone link me to it? I'm inviting some girls to participate in this event, and I want to give them the tech sheet prior so that they can double check that their car will pass safety!

Thanks,
Julie
Julie Van
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Julie Van wrote:I know there's a tech sheet somewhere on the forum...and I think I've seen it before, but can someone link me to it? I'm inviting some girls to participate in this event, and I want to give them the tech sheet prior so that they can double check that their car will pass safety!

Thanks,
Julie
It is in chapter three of the SCCA rule book. I've attached a pdf listing.

An a related note - if anyone attending is driving a Fiat 500, please let us know in advance.
Attachments
SCCA Tech.pdf
(46.14 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
kj
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Ladies School Gives You Wings
Attachments
480362_497389880280702_793164795_n.jpg
480362_497389880280702_793164795_n.jpg (105.73 KiB) Viewed 11938 times
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Fun Times by all ...

Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Guy helpers get two laps at the end of the day to try to beat their gals. Loser Buys!

"I Beat Dad!"
Attachments
Beat Dad.jpeg
Beat Dad.jpeg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 11814 times
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

What time does the event begin and end? I have someone who wants to attend but ill only be able to help till 3pm
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Anthony Porta wrote:What time does the event begin and end? I have someone who wants to attend but ill only be able to help till 3pm
I'll step in for you from 3pm through dinner }:) It usually ends later in the day, but I don't think you "have" to be there all day. There's typically plenty of coverage w/ people coming to help who aren't sponsoring anyone, etc.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

If you can't be there after 3 pm you will probably miss the exciting Guys vs Gals laps, i.e.. when the helper guys get to put down two laps to try to beat their gals.

Perhaps your friends priorites need to be adjusted. :D
Pauly Maiy

Post by Pauly Maiy »

Hi - I'd like to register my girlfriend up for this, but it seems like registration had to be mailed and recieved by today. Is there any other way I can get her registered?

If I've missed the ball on this opportunity, I hope there are other Ladies School days in the future. Thanks!
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Pauly Maiy wrote:Hi - I'd like to register my girlfriend up for this, but it seems like registration had to be mailed and recieved by today. Is there any other way I can get her registered?

If I've missed the ball on this opportunity, I hope there are other Ladies School days in the future. Thanks!
Email Lisa Severy. I bet she would accept your entry. :gpower:
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Lisa Severy

Post by Lisa Severy »

Thank you for your interest in coming to the school!
Anything postmarked no later than today would be accepted. Please let me know if you end up running to the post office and sending in an entry.
We really need to understand the number of entrants in order to determine the format/schedule for the school.

Thank you!
Pauly Maiy

Post by Pauly Maiy »

I'm making a trip to a local annex that closes at 7pm. I should be able to get it postmarked today. Thanks!!!! :D
Duane Tomono

Post by Duane Tomono »

Is there a chance to still get in for ladies day autocross we you noticed the post today thanks !
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Sarah Batany has some friends who still want to get in
Leslie Cohen
Club: GRA
Car#: 137

Post by Leslie Cohen »

Looking forward to instructing this year! I am so glad Cal Club is keeping the Ladies School tradition alive :-)
Leslie
ST(S) Civic/SS Z06
KC Hansen

Post by KC Hansen »

I am attending the Ladies School.

I am unclear on the "sponsor" - does this mean I am expected to bring someone with me? What is that person expected to do?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

KC Hansen wrote:I am attending the Ladies School.

I am unclear on the "sponsor" - does this mean I am expected to bring someone with me? What is that person expected to do?
Many participants have significant others or friends who already autocross and come out to help. Help is limited to working the course and/or being the "pit boy" for you. At the end of the day they each get to take 2 runs of the course to try to beat the ladies best time (never happens) with the winner buying dinner. All in good fun. Bringing a sponsor is purely optional.