Oct 14th, UpThere Videos

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

UpThere Video

Oct 14th, UpThere Videos

Post by UpThere Video »

G'mornin'!

First and foremost, I'd like to apologize to those that ran in the last group. I heard the announcer at the end of the previous group ask if there were any more ready to run, then a couple of confirmation noes, and then he said, "Okay, that's a wrap." I thought he meant for the day. I had already lowered and unhooked and ....yeah, anyway sorry.

Second and more important to most, I had worked with Rick and QV regarding placement just off the back of the course. However this apparently bothered at least a few folks. So if I set up in the north 40 again, I will not use the car, which I gather was the problem. This time, I am on meds for my skin infection that requires I not be in the sun or my skin will permanently thin and the car was more necessary for that reason, it's not required for the setup to work. Thank you for your patience and we'll not do it that way again.

Lastly, I will be reviewing and cataloging the runs today, I should have a short clips video and a list of all runs recorded ready this evening. The wind gusts did cause some video issues, but for the most part it was a good day and I got about 4 hours of video.
http://www.UpThereVideo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Offering affordable, accessible mastcam aerial video for events, sports, concerts, and more!
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Oct 14th, UpThere Videos

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Can't hardly wait!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Hope you recover from your health issues. If you can't use the protection from your car ... I noticed you also hung "curtains" over the window(s) ... a tent like structure might not work either. At this time of the year we sometimes get winds so strong out in Fonatana that even doubled up cones won't stay in place
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

I don't know if just shade is enough, but for this coming weekend at Glen Helen (if you're still coming), the timing/start/finish area will be near a small grove of trees with good shade underneath. But if you prefer to hang out in your car, I doubt that will be a problem. Our cars/windows get so muddy we all have tunnel vision. :D
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

UpThere Video wrote:Second and more important to most, I had worked with Rick and QV regarding placement just off the back of the course. However this apparently bothered at least a few folks.
Say what? If that car bothered you, I'd suggest focusing on the course and not the surroundings. This is why when working course and need to red flag a car, it's important to get as close to the edge of the course as possible to get within the drivers field of vision. A focused driver will never see you if you're off to the side.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

UpThere Video wrote:G'mornin'!
Second and more important to most, I had worked with Rick and QV regarding placement just off the back of the course. However this apparently bothered at least a few folks.
Ditto what George said. I certainly have not been doing this that long, but although I saw you in the morning while walking the course, I NEVER saw you during my runs. Any driver that says your car and set-up was a distraction while driving DOES NOT have their eyes where they should be. As long as management and/or senior and safety officials have indicated that your placement is fine, I would NOT worry about it. We appreciate what you are trying to provide....even though my car did not make the cut at the previous event. You know.... CAR #912/921 8-) :gpower:
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

75 feet distance between course and her car is all that is required. In order for Jill to operate off of her monitor ... she needs shade all around her, ie. she doesn't want things reflecting off her monitor
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

As a person who's had more than one "run in" with lost cars on course, it's perfectly natural for stuff like this to catch your attention, even for the brief-ist instant. The car definitly caught my attention, you don't need to be looking for something for it to pop into your field of view. It didn't bother me enough to complain officially to anyone (I did mention it to my co-driver), or seek to have it changed.

I think the issue was more 'perspective'. The car was PLENTY far enough away, but being all by its self made it stand out. If it's a better angle, I have no problem them out there.

Jay W

Ed Holley wrote:Ditto what George said. I certainly have not been doing this that long, but although I saw you in the morning while walking the course, I NEVER saw you during my runs. Any driver that says your car and set-up was a distraction while driving DOES NOT have their eyes where they should be.
UpThere Video

Post by UpThere Video »

Ed Holley wrote:
UpThere Video wrote:G'mornin'!
Second and more important to most, I had worked with Rick and QV regarding placement just off the back of the course. However this apparently bothered at least a few folks.
Ditto what George said. I certainly have not been doing this that long, but although I saw you in the morning while walking the course, I NEVER saw you during my runs. Any driver that says your car and set-up was a distraction while driving DOES NOT have their eyes where they should be. As long as management and/or senior and safety officials have indicated that your placement is fine, I would NOT worry about it. We appreciate what you are trying to provide....even though my car did not make the cut at the previous event. You know.... CAR #912/921 8-) :gpower:
Just so you know, it's not that you didn't make the cut, it's that you were never next in line when I returned to the starting line. I posted all cars I recorded, good bad or ugly as to how well I tracked, etc. I tried to be more aware of car numbers and such this time. Though it looks and sounds like the wind may be the bigger player in every video. At least the karts aren't drowning out everything this time, some of the cars can be heard during the momentary wind breaks.
Offering affordable, accessible mastcam aerial video for events, sports, concerts, and more!
UpThere Video

Post by UpThere Video »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:As a person who's had more than one "run in" with lost cars on course, it's perfectly natural for stuff like this to catch your attention, even for the brief-ist instant. The car definitly caught my attention, you don't need to be looking for something for it to pop into your field of view. It didn't bother me enough to complain officially to anyone (I did mention it to my co-driver), or seek to have it changed.

I think the issue was more 'perspective'. The car was PLENTY far enough away, but being all by its self made it stand out. If it's a better angle, I have no problem them out there.

Jay W

Ed Holley wrote:Ditto what George said. I certainly have not been doing this that long, but although I saw you in the morning while walking the course, I NEVER saw you during my runs. Any driver that says your car and set-up was a distraction while driving DOES NOT have their eyes where they should be.
Most of the time I'm good without the car nearby, just an extra issue with the skin infection meds. Even my shade is not car specific and so I can and do usually just plop on the ground with a blanket and go to it with a sheet over me essentially. Though normally when I do that I'm in the grass at a park, not the hot, hard, stinky, and filthy from the flooding asphalt.

I think in the future I'll just hand truck everything out to the north 40 and leave the car in the parking area.
UpThere Video

Post by UpThere Video »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:As a person who's had more than one "run in" with lost cars on course, it's perfectly natural for stuff like this to catch your attention, even for the brief-ist instant. The car definitly caught my attention, you don't need to be looking for something for it to pop into your field of view. It didn't bother me enough to complain officially to anyone (I did mention it to my co-driver), or seek to have it changed.

Jay W

Jayson, on a side note, be sure to forward when you have a better idea of the course map for the weekend's RallyX so I can have an idea where to set up. I should be done with the meds so I won't need to car with me. If I'm not done with meds, I fear the next step is into the hospital for intravenous antibiotics, so I'd just plain miss it altogether. Fingers crossed this stuff works. mRSA is a real pain in the arse.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

UpThere Video wrote:Jayson, on a side note, be sure to forward when you have a better idea of the course map for the weekend's RallyX so I can have an idea where to set up. I should be done with the meds so I won't need to car with me. If I'm not done with meds, I fear the next step is into the hospital for intravenous antibiotics, so I'd just plain miss it altogether. Fingers crossed this stuff works. mRSA is a real pain in the arse.
Probably tomorrow. it'll look similar to the sample I sent you. There's really no limitation around the boarder of the race area where you can be.

Jay W
UpThere Video

Post by UpThere Video »

Okay, good news and good news. I'm a tad delayed in getting up the vids and the list as I have been meeting with some who might actually be related to real paying gigs, so I had to set this aside yesterday. So good news, more good news. Video is all cataloged and below is the list of car#s that I was able to catch. The wind seemed to put a real drag on the pan head when it was pointing certain areas so once again, not everyone's run is perfectly presented. I'll put together some of the runs for a clips video on youtube and on my site this evening and it will be uploaded by morning. Begin letting me know who wants to see their individual run(s).

CAR #
Last edited by UpThere Video on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

66 please when you get a chance.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bill Martin
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

74 & 174, thanx
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

921 please.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Ryan Young
Car#: 510

Post by Ryan Young »

510 please - thanks! :mrgreen:
Ryan Young
Solo Noob
#510 RTA, 2011 Subaru WRX
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

107 please!!! :mrgreen:
Tim Albin
Car#: 20

Post by Tim Albin »

#20 and #22. Thanks
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Car 88, please!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mihail Milkov

Post by Mihail Milkov »

Car number 328, please.
Chris Teague
Car#: 60

Post by Chris Teague »

Car #60 please. Thanks!
Tetsu Fukui
Club: No$
Car#: 308

Post by Tetsu Fukui »

#308 please
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

95, please. Thanks! :)
Steven Snyder
Car#: 217

Post by Steven Snyder »

404 please. That's my buddy and I'm sure he'd like to see it!
Steven T. Snyder
Red 1988 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L DOHC V6
Black 2001 Subaru Outback 2.5L