The OS Giken SoPac Super Regional - FAQ for Locals

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

The OS Giken SoPac Super Regional - FAQ for Locals

Post by George Schilling »

Information for Locals

The OS Giken SoPac Super Regional Autocross Championship is a two day national style competition to be held June 21-23. While the competition takes place on Saturday and Sunday, the action starts on Friday with the Test 'n' Tune and Welcome Party. Our Super Regional has the reputation as the finest solo event on the west coast, and possibly the nation. This is something you won't want to miss.

The Super Regional also serves as a TWO Cal Club Championships with Saturday and Sunday scored independently for local scoring purposes. It is highly encouraged that drivers enter both days, but one day only entries will be allowed for those who cannot attend both days.

How the Super Regional scoring will work

The results for the Super Regional are scored much like a national tour. Each day’s competition (Saturday and Sunday) will be on a different course. Driver’s top time from each day are added together to get a Super Regional result.

How regional scoring will work

The OS Giken SoPac Super Regional will count as two individual regional championships, one based on Saturday’s performances and one on Sunday’s performances. For this event only, non-points card holders will be removed from the results for local points purposes. For most driver’s, your regional score will simply be how well you did within the class you drove each day. Drivers competing for season championships in PAX, PAXL, CPM and NOV will have each day of their results indexed together to produce regional scores.

There will be limited exceptions made that will allow some drivers to compete in the Super Regional under one class but apply their times to a different regional class scoring. For example a driver competes in HIST locally, but wishes to compete in FSP at the Super Regional. This driver would compete in FSP at the Super Regional and then have his/her times transferred to HIST after the competition for determining regional points. If you fall within this exception, please contact Christine Berry before the event.

Registration

Pre-Reg Weekend: $80, includes a free OS Giken SoPac Super Regional t-shirt and Friday welcome party
Late Reg Weekend: $130
One Day Entry: $40 (t-shirt not included)

Registration for the Super Regional differs from our normal regional events in that payment is required at the time of registration. Registration requires payment of entry fees of $80 for the weekend if paid by midnight, June 14. Late entry is $130. This includes the Friday welcome party and a free OS Giken SoPac Super Regional t-shirt. If you can only make one day, you can pay $40 for that day only but that will not include the welcome party or t-shirt. The last day to register is Wednesday June 19.

This event is also different in that awards are presented at the awards ceremony on Sunday subject to minimum class participation. Local classes qualify. See the supplemental regulations for more details.

Numbers and sharing a car

It is not necessary to use your SoCal Solo points card numbers at this event. For this event only you will choose any number 1-99 for a first driver and adding 100 to the number for a second driver. Numbers are available on a first come first served basis per class (e.g. 99 in AS is seen as different from 99 in CSP). As always, easy to read numbers and class letters are required on the car.

Required Decals

Due to the sponsorship of this event, there may be decals that are required to be on every competing car. Cars will need these decals displayed in order to compete. Any required decals will be available at tech free of charge. It is allowed to put the required decals on magnet or tape for easy removal after the event.

Run/Work groups

Due to the nature of this event the run heats will not follow our normal CalClub rotation. Most likely there will be 4-5 run groups, two before lunch and the remainder after. Each day will follow the same order with Saturday starting at 9am and Sunday at 8:30 am. The exact run group order will be determined after registration closes and will be posted the Wednesday before the event.

Grid

For the Super Regional there will be a ‘Grid A’ and a ‘Grid B’. Grid spots are numbered and assigned (typically by your car number). Before proceeding to the grid, drivers should check the posted grid sheet for their grid location. Co-drivers share the same gird location. The assigned grid spot should be the same for both days.

Impound (weighing)

At the Super Regional will be an added period of ‘Impound’. This is the period of time for competitors to inspect for class compliance while waiting for preliminary results.

Each day after the final run of the final driver, cars that have a minimum weight requirement should proceed to the scales to be weighed before proceeding back to their grid location. All other cars should proceed directly to their grid location. Cars must remain in place with hoods and trunks open until released by the chief of impound. Not reporting to impound or refusing inspection can lead to a DSQ. Special exceptions can be made for cars than need to be in the next run group.

Protests

Protests while undesirable are much more common at national level events due to the higher stakes. Protests against cars should be brought up to the Chief of Protest or Chief Steward during the impound period. A protest against class competition (including Timing and Scoring) should be brought up to the Chief of Protest or Chief Steward within 30 minutes of the cars being release from impound. A protest against the event shall occur no more than 30 minutes after the last class is released from impound. A Protest fee of $25 to $50 is required, but it is returned if the protest holds or if the protest committee decides to do so.

Contingencies

As of now, there are no contingency sponsors. This may change in the future and will be announced should they become available. It is the driver’s responsibility to register and comply with all of the manufactures rules regarding contingencies.

Prizes

Unlike our normal events, this event wraps up on Sunday with the trophy presentation and a raffle for some great prizes, ie a paid entry to Evolution Performance Driving School or a set of tires. Win of lose, be sure to stick around for the raffle. Those who help pack up during the 20 minute break between the end of the event and the trophy presentation will receive a bonus ticket for an additional chance to win.

Test & Tune

A test and tune period has been confirmed for Friday from 12 to 4 pm. Cost for 5 runs is $20. Single runs can be purchased for $5 each. From 12-1 we will have a $3 per run "special", cash only. A short work assignment is also required.
Last edited by George Schilling on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: The OS Giken SoPac Super Regional - FAQ for Locals

Post by Mako Koiwai »

No Grand Prize of an OS Giken ? :D
George Schilling
Club Representative

Can a moderator make this a sticky please?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
George Schilling
Club Representative

Just a reminder that there are less than 2 weeks left to register. Don't be left out! :thumbup:

Regular registration is only $80. :D Late registration is $130. :(

This event is online registration only! REGISTER HERE

Best do it now before you forget. :P Your card won't be charged until the registration deadline on June 14. :)
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

George Schilling wrote:Can a moderator make this a sticky please?
Not a moderator function. Not sure who can do that.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Norman Kung

Post by Norman Kung »

Can we run purely for time and bring passengers? "TO" style.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Norman Kung wrote:Can we run purely for time and bring passengers? "TO" style.
Time only runs are not available for this event. However, you are welcome to join a class. If you happen to have a passenger, your runs will be DQ'd, effectively making it and any subsequent runs "Time Only".
Norman Kung

Post by Norman Kung »

Okay, sounds good. I'm not trying to compete, just want to get some seat time in and have friends who want to join in on the fun.

Thanks for the info!
George Schilling
Club Representative

Norman Kung wrote:Okay, sounds good. I'm not trying to compete, just want to get some seat time in and have friends who want to join in on the fun.

Thanks for the info!
Why aren't you competing Norman. It adds to the fun and excitement.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

So since there's no contingency, can I remove the Tire Rack windshield banner from my car?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Kurt Rahn wrote:So since there's no contingency, can I remove the Tire Rack windshield banner from my car?
Tire Rack banners are not required for this event. Any required decals will be available at tech.
silvio zucchet

Post by silvio zucchet »

hello,
as far as the practice runs go do I need to sign up for anything or just show up? also did not see a time for welcome party.
I just got done registering and looking foward to coming out to this event.
silvio zucchet
smooth is fast
Norman Kung

Post by Norman Kung »

George Schilling wrote: Why aren't you competing Norman. It adds to the fun and excitement.
Haha I know I won't be competitive so I'm not worried about running for points. Just want to get out there and push the car around some more :) Plus I might have friends come who want to ride along.
George Schilling
Club Representative

silvio zucchet wrote:hello,
as far as the practice runs go do I need to sign up for anything or just show up? also did not see a time for welcome party.
I just got done registering and looking foward to coming out to this event.
silvio zucchet
For the practice, just show up. No need to sign up. The welcome party is 5-7 on Friday.
silvio zucchet

Post by silvio zucchet »

Last question, for ES are you guys running r-comp since is a regional? If so should I change to my entry to RTR with ES pax
I know there is a gentleman's agreement on running street tire since is a regional I figured I'd ask
Thanks
smooth is fast
Nic Sanchez
Club: No$
Car#: 67

Post by Nic Sanchez »

silvio zucchet wrote:Last question, for ES are you guys running r-comp since is a regional? If so should I change to my entry to RTR with ES pax
I know there is a gentleman's agreement on running street tire since is a regional I figured I'd ask
Thanks
Besides yourself, everyone that is currently registered in ES will be running street tires.

Nic
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Assuming I bring all the appropriate waivers, is it OK to bring my 14yo son out to Friday practice to ride along with me? Also, I know, being a minor, he can't be out on the track working during any hot laps. Are there any work assignments available that we could do together? Help setup the course or whatever? He'd be fine in the paddock by himself, but I just thought it would be more fun to hang out with him all day. Either that, or are there any work assignments he could jump in and help with while I'm working out on the course?....he's an awesome "runner" or could help with whatever!

TIA
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/