5/26/13 Photo & Video Thread

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Bobby Beyer

5/26/13 Photo & Video Thread

Post by Bobby Beyer »

STF Yaris fast run 81.9xx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItBgm8kuJs

Also when lost on course try not to drive head on to oncoming cars.
Sorry about the language, I was pretty upset about losing a run that felt really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhJ3SjSfRj0

Some video of my custom ARM, seems to work as intended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whM3faIv ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Bobby Beyer on Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: 5/26/13 Photo & Video Thread

Post by Max Hayter »

Sebastian getting really good in my car today...

http://youtu.be/Tmk7X2Eedmc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Me...

http://youtu.be/YDf3wK25W6E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Here are my 1st (81.355) and 3rd (80.379) runs in RTR (7th of 17 drivers).

http://youtu.be/q-hFOKwHEUw
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Bobby Beyer wrote:STF Yaris fast run 51.9xx

51.9? That IS a fast run! ;)
P.S. I loved the Speedway Engineering bar that I made for the 914!
Mark D.
Jimmy Duong
Car#: 820

Post by Jimmy Duong »

My 2nd/best run of the day of 79.066 that has not been counted in scoring/timing.

http://youtu.be/JFOoEOcFZ3o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Mark DeShon wrote:
Bobby Beyer wrote:STF Yaris fast run 51.9xx

51.9? That IS a fast run! ;)
P.S. I loved the Speedway Engineering bar that I made for the 914!
Mark D.
Thanks the active suspension and aero really seemed to help ;)

I'm loving it so far, just need to relearn how to drive the car. I can trail brake again so its a bit different for me.
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Bobby Beyer wrote: I'm loving it so far, just need to relearn how to drive the car. I can trail brake again so its a bit different for me.
Great! I felt that was a bit of a limitation when I drove it. Now you need to chase down that other Yaris!
Mark D.
Robert Baltazar
Car#: 591

Post by Robert Baltazar »

Here is Jacob's run with a 76.9 and he pax 33....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJoFg4cQ ... yw&index=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1991 turbo RX7 12.4 111.18 mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmeEuCbcNUg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cal speedway 1.55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhunwtiGLk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Working on the Time Lapses ...
Attachments
Sean &.jpg
Sean &.jpg (392.87 KiB) Viewed 13254 times
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

My fastest......69.816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJr-ZkEvNvg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Bobby Beyer wrote: Also when lost on course try not to drive head on to oncoming cars.
Sorry about the language, I was pretty upset about losing a run that felt really good.

Bobby, I understand your frustration. BUT, I don't blame the lost driver. I'm actually surprised we did not have more lost cars. I place a good heap of blame on the course designer, for the sea of cones, and gimmick markings. It was a very confusing course visually. I personally have never been lost on course, Sunday I was second guessing in multiple places every lap if I went the correct direction. There were MANY veteran drivers who DNF'ed on Sunday, because they could not remember where the course went.* (see note at bottom)

But I place even more blame on the course workers. I was in the trailer working when this took place. We could see from there what was happening. We were announcing over the speakers for the course workers to red flag you. The radio worker was hollering over the radio for the course workers to red flag both you and the wrong way-ed car. The lost driver drove past 4 clumps of workers. NOT ONE SINGLE RED FLAG GOT WAIVED TILL AFTER YOU CAME TO A STOP!!!

From your own video... None of which red flagged him, and no one red flagged you either. Notice in your video, not only had the car come towards you, you came to a complete stop... you pulled off to the side, the car passed, and then you came to a complete stop again.... THEN the course worker half assed waves the flag.

Lesson... I hate drivers meetings. :evil:

We apparently need them. :cry:

* As drivers we should not have to remember where the course goes, that should be obvious, even for someone who did not walk. This is one of the reasons we as a region have decided to chalk the courses. What we should be doing on our course walk is solving how best we should set up our line for our driving style, whether we want to enter a optional slalom from the left/right, brake points, late/early apexes etc.
This specific course had what I will call gimmick markings, things that visually tell you to go left/right, but in reality you had to do the opposite, amongst other things. That requires memory work, to identify that's whats being done, and remember to do the opposite. That is strictly verboten in the Solo rule book, but existed multiple places on course.
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

I don't very often agree with Craig :D, but in this case, I agree entirely.

I DNF'd my first run on Sunday. I haven't DNF'd due to having no idea where the course went in years!
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I have no hard feelings toward the lost driver, it happens, and he appeared to be a novice. I was a bit annoyed that no one directed the driver to the exit when it was clear he lost his sense of direction. I was just upset I lost a run that appeared to be working, oh well.

There's more videos about what happened, but no one was directing him on where to go, so he was cruising around aimlessly with no sense of direction or what to do. You're right, no one red flagged me when I came to a stop the first time, but I was red flagged the next time.
Karen Zaterman
Club: GRA
Car#: 134

Post by Karen Zaterman »

I don't know what you are referring to as gimmick markings. The only thing I didn't like was the pointer after the first slalom that was too close to the slalom. My DNF was entirely my own fault for getting on the power too aggressively on my first run & I didn't take the time to try & get back on course at the same location. Which makes me wonder if cry baby Dog's Bollocks was looking ahead... :lol:

The problem of course workers is valid & I've often wondered why we don't take more of an effort to train newbies how to work course.
No, Mako -- you do NOT need to supercharge your new Miata! ...cuz now it's my turn to take it to the track :)
hmmmm... it is no longer "new" -- is it time to get faster?
Tom Denham
Club: PSCC
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

I thought the course was easy to read and follow.
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Bobby Beyer wrote: Also when lost on course try not to drive head on to oncoming cars.

Bobby, I understand your frustration. BUT, I don't blame the lost driver. I'm actually surprised we did not have more lost cars. I place a good heap of blame on the course designer, for the sea of cones, and gimmick markings. It was a very confusing course visually. I personally have never been lost on course, Sunday I was second guessing in multiple places every lap if I went the correct direction. There were MANY veteran drivers who DNF'ed on Sunday, because they could not remember where the course went.* (see note at bottom)

But I place even more blame on the course workers. I was in the trailer working when this took place. We could see from there what was happening. We were announcing over the speakers for the course workers to red flag you. The radio worker was hollering over the radio for the course workers to red flag both you and the wrong way-ed car. The lost driver drove past 4 clumps of workers. NOT ONE SINGLE RED FLAG GOT WAIVED TILL AFTER YOU CAME TO A STOP!!!

From your own video... None of which red flagged him, and no one red flagged you either. Notice in your video, not only had the car come towards you, you came to a complete stop... you pulled off to the side, the car passed, and then you came to a complete stop again.... THEN the course worker half assed waves the flag.

Lesson... I hate drivers meetings. :evil:

We apparently need them. :cry:

* As drivers we should not have to remember where the course goes, that should be obvious, even for someone who did not walk. This is one of the reasons we as a region have decided to chalk the courses. What we should be doing on our course walk is solving how best we should set up our line for our driving style, whether we want to enter a optional slalom from the left/right, brake points, late/early apexes etc.
This specific course had what I will call gimmick markings, things that visually tell you to go left/right, but in reality you had to do the opposite, amongst other things. That requires memory work, to identify that's whats being done, and remember to do the opposite. That is strictly verboten in the Solo rule book, but existed multiple places on course.
Really? do you really think that the course was that bad, I just don't see it. And not b/c i got a 1st, i thought i was a little pinched in a couple of areas, but not more so than any other course i have driven on.
Course designers,Can't please all the drivers all the time.
Whether you liked the course or not Casey and Jason deserve a thank you, that was a big course and lots of work.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Sat. not so good ... going into the first cross over I thought I was entering a Slalom on the left side! I actually slalomed the first couple of cones before realizing they were perimeter cones! I didn't have a chance to walk the course. Visually confusing in a number of places.

Sun ... I LIKED ... a lot :thumbup:
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Bobby Beyer wrote:I have no hard feelings toward the lost driver, it happens, and he appeared to be a novice. I was a bit annoyed that no one directed the driver to the exit when it was clear he lost his sense of direction. I was just upset I lost a run that appeared to be working, oh well.

There's more videos about what happened, but no one was directing him on where to go, so he was cruising around aimlessly with no sense of direction or what to do. You're right, no one red flagged me when I came to a stop the first time, but I was red flagged the next time.
Well , I did stop the driver and I did direct him to the finish with verbal and visual commands. The driver was told to head left and return to grid slowly. He then did exactly the opposite of what i told him and turned right back on to course
Last edited by Tom Denham on Mon May 27, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I don't think that guy spoke english very well. Whoever stopped him the 3rd time, seemed to have figured that out and pointed him where to go.

The course wasn't bad on Sunday but it was a bit tighter than I would have liked, but it was one of those courses that made me have to think about what I was doing...which is part of the reason I did so poorly :lol:
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

It's a tough job being a course designer!

I thought Sunday's course was much better than Saturday, and I do want to thank Jason for listening on Saturday to some of my concerns, and obviously trying to fix those things.

And Karen, you're right, I didn't see too many people struggling where I DNF'd, so maybe it was just me!
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Tom Denham wrote:Really? do you really think that the course was that bad, I just don't see it. And not b/c i got a 1st, i thought i was a little pinched in a couple of areas, but not more so than any other course i have driven on.
Whether you liked the course or not Casey and Jason deserve a thank you, that was a big course and lots of work.
Was it fun to drive? Yes!
Was it a nice long course using the available real estate? Yes!
Did it have a few challenging elements we haven't seen in some time, or even ever in LA? Yes.
Did I bitch about something on it while walking, that I though would require just about every car to downshift to 1st, and while slow did not require such? Yes!
Did that very element end up being one of my favorite on the course, as time could be made or lost there? Yes!

Was it poorly marked, with some gimmicky marking that caused unnecessary confusion, and Roger Johnson would likely add to his Do Not Do this way, examples of how to design a course? Unfortunately, Yes! and... unfortunately this caused MANY unnecessary DNF's for even experienced drivers, and a huge safety issue a quick thinking competitor managed to avoid when his course workers failed to avert it? Sadly Yes to this too.

I commend the effort, I believe constructive criticism is due too. I would be happy to share directly what the confusing markings are if they would like. I believe there are some good lessons that can be learned from the situation, so we can avoid making them again in the future, individually, and as a region.
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Tom Denham wrote:Really? do you really think that the course was that bad, I just don't see it. And not b/c i got a 1st, i thought i was a little pinched in a couple of areas, but not more so than any other course i have driven on.
Was it fun to drive? Yes!
Was it a nice long course using the available real estate? Yes!
Did it have a few challenging elements we haven't seen in some time, or even ever in LA? Yes.
Did I bitch about something on it while walking, that I though would require just about every car to downshift to 1st, and while slow did not require such? Yes!
Did that very element end up being one of my favorite on the course, as time could be made or lost there? Yes!

Was it poorly marked, with some gimmicky marking that caused unnecessary confusion, and Roger Johnson would likely add to his Do Not Do this way, examples of how to design a course? Unfortunately, Yes! and... unfortunately this caused MANY unnecessary DNF's for even experienced drivers, and a huge safety issue a quick thinking competitor managed to avoid when his course workers failed to avert it? Sadly Yes to this too.

I commend the effort, I believe constructive criticism is due too. I would be happy to share directly what the confusing markings are if they would like. I believe there are some good lessons that can be learned from the situation, so we can avoid making them again in the future, individually, and as a region.
I have a idea, put your knowledge to work and design a course.
Steve Abbott
Car#: 48

Post by Steve Abbott »

If you didn't like the course this weekend, come back next month, it will be different. Walking the course Saturday, I thought that it would be no fun to drive. I was totally wrong. It was quite fun. Since I drive just looking over my hood, I didn't even see any gimmick tricks, just the main cones I suppose to pay attention to. :D :D

Saturday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ew72OaI98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRi35bdBz78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,

Steve A.
Fred Sullivan
Car#: 502

Post by Fred Sullivan »

My best: 82.303 RTR CS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEtzNXnUPpM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

The course seemed fine however you need to remember (course designers) that pointer cones are designed to indicate the inside of a corner. I see a couple gates that have unnecessary (look at me!) cones that are frowned upon. Also in the middle of the course there was a pointer on the outside wall of a corner which was very visually distracting that would cause DNFs, Gates and use of other elements need to be consistent from the beginning of the course all the way to the end to avoid visual confusion. The flow looks great and I wish i was there to run the course because it looked really fun, but yes some visuals were bad and should be avoided in the future.

>^^ ^^<
This is not a proper way to lay down gates. Either keep them single cones on each side or double. Gates do not need pointers.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA