Alpine AutoX Aug 17th (Big Bear)

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Alpine AutoX Aug 17th (Big Bear)

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I've been preparing for this lab experiment for many years and its finally here. An open AutoX in Big Bear!

Keeping it small, simple and fairly cheap. JayCom Events will be hosting a public NO WORK AutoX event at the Big Bear City Airport on August 17th (Sat).

The event will be ran in a mostly open practice format, limited to 50 drivers. Just to keep things interesting, three simple classes have been set up and scoring will be done for four runs in the late morning. More classes can be broken out if attendance allows or if a group of driver's wants to create their own.

Average mid August Big Bear weather is a tepid and dry 82F. So beat the heat and fill that calendar gap.

PreReg Entry fee is $60, second driver is +$25.
Day of entries are +$15

Event Page:
http://www.jaycomservices.com/bigbear.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Direct to Registration:
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frm ... t_id=13509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Expect a minimum of 12 runs, most likely in the 16+ range. Course area is not huge, but we can expect to get a 45 second course.

The event format has been changed to have NO WORK ASSIGNEMENTS. So just pay and play all day long! As always, volunteers are greatly appreciated.

Running at 6752ft, this is California's (perhaps the country's) highest AutoX.

Helmets Snell 95 or better are required (limited loaners available). This is a non-SCCA event. This is in all aspects an 'experimental' event, so expect changes to be happen and if successful, bigger/better things in the future.

Jay W
woodrufj@jaycomservices.com
714-328-7869

Last edited by Jayson Woodruff on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Abbott
Club: CASOC
Car#: 48

Re: Alpine AutoX Aug 17th (Big Bear)

Post by Steve Abbott »

Hodges and I went up to Big Bear a couple of years ago. They called it "Big Bear Bash". Pretty fun. Kumho paid out cash money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDZGGWePPAg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve A.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Will it be sort of road course like using the taxi ways? :thumbup:

So is the airport close while we run ?! At Camarillo we only use the end of one run way to make a long but too narrow course ... with planes coming in over head to land further down the runway.

Jayson Woodruff

The annual Big Bear Bash was a few weekends ago. They contracted me for the first time to run their event, and I learned a lot about the feel of the venue, which has lead to me hosting this event.

Jay W
Steve Abbott wrote:Hodges and I went up to Big Bear a couple of years ago. They called it "Big Bear Bash". Pretty fun. Kumho paid out cash money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDZGGWePPAg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve A.
Jayson Woodruff

It's a fully active airport, and will continue to run while we're there. We'll be using the storage tarmac area seen mid-ish and south on your picture (concrete squares can be seen).

Jay W
Mako Koiwai wrote:Will it be sort of road course like using the taxi ways? :thumbup:

So is the airport close while we run ?! At Camarillo we only use the end of one run way to make a long but too narrow course ... with planes coming in over head to land further down the runway.
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Jason: I registered with Sharon as a second driver. However, I paid the full amount for both of us on my entry. Consequently, I cannot figure out how to submit her separate entry (required) without incurring more payment due (not). HELP!
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Jayson Woodruff

Ed Holley wrote:Jason: I registered with Sharon as a second driver. However, I paid the full amount for both of us on my entry. Consequently, I cannot figure out how to submit her separate entry (required) without incurring more payment due (not). HELP!
You signed up and paid as a shared entry. Did you want individual entries?

Jay W
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Ed Holley wrote:Jason: I registered with Sharon as a second driver. However, I paid the full amount for both of us on my entry. Consequently, I cannot figure out how to submit her separate entry (required) without incurring more payment due (not). HELP!
You signed up and paid as a shared entry. Did you want individual entries?

Jay W
Does that mean we both compete with 3 runs each and share any practice runs? If so, shared entry is what we want.
I saw something when I entered her name in the box for the $25.00 portion that said something to the effect of "entering a name here still requires a separate registration". So, are we good? We're looking forward to it. Thanks for organizing it.
2001 NB Miata
Jayson Woodruff

Ed Holley wrote:Does that mean we both compete with 3 runs each and share any practice runs?
Yes, but I thin I'm going to go with 4, not 3.
said something to the effect of "..."
That was canned language from the reg system. It should be gone now.

Jay W
Jayson Woodruff

Attention Drivers. Due to the good fortune of worker availability, we've been able to change the Alpine AutoX format into a NO WORK ASSIGNMENT event!

The entry price had to be bumped $10, but I think most of us agree that is well worth it! Be sure to thank and encourage a course worker when your up there. Volunteers are always appreciated.

Register early, register often!!
http://www.jaycomservices.com/bigbear.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jay W
Jayson Woodruff

Entries are trickling in. Since most the registrants are 'shared' entries the list is a little deceving. Low, but sustainable.

So, if you're planning on coming up to Big Bear, register up so I can plan according. We're real close to maybe breaking out an ES Miata class and maybe an S2000 class as well. Should get a few of the Rally guys to sign up too.

Oh, and I've got trophies! Cheap trophies, but can't expect much for a pilot event.

Jay W
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 16

Post by Mike Yanase »

quick question

what is the minimum amount of drivers that will be needed to run this event?
group of us want to book a cabin for the weekend, but don't want to make the reservation until the event is 100% confirmed.

thanks
mike
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

I looked at the map yesterday: it's an autox just getting to the event!
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Do they even have Asian food up there?!
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 16

Post by Mike Yanase »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Do they even have Asian food up there?!
Lol imma bring my rice cooker and other necessary Asian stuff
Jayson Woodruff

Two. We're going to run even if its just Eguina and I running around.

Jay W
Mike Yanase wrote:what is the minimum amount of drivers that will be needed to run this event?
group of us want to book a cabin for the weekend, but don't want to make the reservation until the event is 100% confirmed.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Yes... but, it's hit or miss. No matter the Asian restaurant, Yelp reviews match personal experience. It's like Russian roulette with four in the chambers of a six shooter. You may get lucky and have an awesome meal, but the odds are not in your favor. Expect to pay Panda Inn (Pasadena) prices, for a hole-in-the-wall... all Caucasian patron in Baldwin Park, experience.

Unfortunately it's the same issue in any resort town, especially in off season. Big Bear, as nice as it is (honestly... I like it there all seasons), is a one season town, scraping by trying to make it to the next season. There are gems, but unfortunately, to keep staff year around, you have to pay them based upon business year around. In big bear that's mostly minimum wage... and you get what you pay for.

This may sound odd... I would never eat at one "down the hill", but our families favorite restaurant in Big Bear is the Sizzler. I've never had a bad meal there.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Mike Yanase wrote:
Lol imma bring my rice cooker and other necessary Asian stuff
Sharon and I will be there. And we will be hungry. But we don't want no Kevin Vegan food. :evil:
2001 NB Miata
Kevin Pao

Post by Kevin Pao »

yeah! BRING THE MEEEAATTTT (bacon only)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Teriyaki Steak at Sizzler.... That's Asian, right?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jayson Woodruff

Craig Naylor wrote:Unfortunately it's the same issue in any resort town, especially in off season. Big Bear, as nice as it is (honestly... I like it there all seasons), is a one season town, scraping by trying to make it to the next season. There are gems, but unfortunately, to keep staff year around, you have to pay them based upon business year around. In big bear that's mostly minimum wage... and you get what you pay for.
I watched a cool Huell Howser segment on Big Bear that was awkawardly cool as all his stuff. They show the history of Big Bear was as a Summer destination that used to completely shut down during the winter. Then the resorts popped up and it reversed.

I grew up vacationing in Big Bear as well. I have fond memories of the local color, but it seems to me to be getting rougher and rougher. I got fed up with the Ma and Pa resturants and stick with the few big chains that are up there (someone would CLEAN UP if they opened an olive garden in the village). The townies are looking more and more 'punkish' to me too. Dive bars are becoming more previolent (not kitchy dive bars, REAL dive bars were they pick fights with you).

I think the place might just be a little too 'affordable'. I used to be able to spend a week at a time up there running around the woods, now I limit myself to short weekends with specific recreation in mind. I still enjoy the place if I limit my exposure to the locals.

Jay W
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Jayson Woodruff wrote: I got fed up with the Ma and Pa resturants and stick with the few big chains that are up there...

Jay W
SOME of the locals are still good, depending on what you are looking for. THELMA's comes to mind for breakfast. And it's almost within walking distance from where we will be running.
2001 NB Miata
Jayson Woodruff

BTW there's a resturant built into the tiny airport. I asked a few people on thier way out and them seemed to have liked it.

Jay W
Ed Holley wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote: I got fed up with the Ma and Pa resturants and stick with the few big chains that are up there...

Jay W
SOME of the locals are still good, depending on what you are looking for. THELMA's comes to mind for breakfast. And it's almost within walking distance from where we will be running.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:BTW there's a resturant built into the tiny airport. I asked a few people on thier way out and them seemed to have liked it.

Jay
I totally forgot about that place, have never been. The Headmaster at the private school where my wife used to work talked about flying up to B.B. in his plane on an occasion or two just to eat dinner and fly back home. I never asked, but always wondered if it was such a great place to eat, or a convenient place to land and refuel (self and plane) on an afternoon / evening adventure in his plane.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

As an aside ... vis a vis little airport dinners ... the one at the Chino Hills airport is amazing! 1960's prices and HUGE portions ... great place for breakfast.

(The diner at the little Sedona airport is also very good.)