Rainy Day Procedures?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Rainy Day Procedures?

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

This weekend will be my first event in wet/rain conditions. I'm wondering, beyond the driving experience being like a wet skid pad, what else is different at the event?

Are you allowed to bring an umbrella out when you work course? I know a course worker fiddling around with an umbrella might create a safety hazard, but pairing up workers (i.e. one with an umbrella, one running) might make it more comfortable without compromising safety. What's the SOP for working course in the rain?...or is it exactly the same, ya just gotta rough it!

Any special "equipment" for the conditions that I'm not thinking about?

Looks like the practice day registrants are dropping like flies...which is good for me because my daughter will be joining us on Saturday for her first autocross outing. First time autocrossing, in the rain...what could possible go wrong there? :lol:

I know the rain will introduce some special challenges out there. I thought I'd take a moment to ping the collective to see if there's any words of wisdom to make the challenges easier!
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Re: Rainy Day Procedures?

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Its possible that this rain will be accompanied by strong winds. That would make umbrellas impossible. If its calm, then most event chiefs and safety stewards will approve them.

A cheap disposable rain poncho is great. If you got better rain gear great. Bring a change of socks and or shoes.

I always bring a large plastic storage box to rain events to put stuff in. I have a huge trailer, but still stuff needs to outside and its nice to have "the dry box" for it. Hopefully the wind doesn't blow it away!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

2 pairs of shoes and socks, one set for wearing in the rain and one set for driving in. Waterproof is always prefered for the set you are going to wear in the rain, but racing in soggy shoes is most certainly no fun. Also, stock the car with a couple clean dry towels so that you can wipe off the bottoms of your shoes and the pedals.

A rain suit, or a nylon poncho, or a cheap plastic poncho or just a trashbag with 3 holes cut in it.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Christine Grice wrote:2 pairs of shoes and socks, one set for wearing in the rain and one set for driving in. Waterproof is always prefered for the set you are going to wear in the rain, but racing in soggy shoes is most certainly no fun. Also, stock the car with a couple clean dry towels so that you can wipe off the bottoms of your shoes and the pedals.

A rain suit, or a nylon poncho, or a cheap plastic poncho or just a trashbag with 3 holes cut in it.
I know the benefits of getting rain practice/experience; particularly if you attend the BIG events where rain can be a factor. That's why I'm SO SORRY I'm going to miss this "experience" Saturday and the chance to bring all this "stuff". }:)

I guess I'll just have to make do Saturday working in my dry & heated garage continuing with my 66 Mustang restoration project. I'm sure I'm gonna go into deep depression. :gpower:
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I always bring a large plastic storage box to rain events to put stuff in.
And get the kind with a one-piece lid, not the kind with hinges and "doors" on the top that will let water in!
Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Post by Lily Liu »

Adding to what Christine said already, also bring a extra change of clothes. If it's windy the rain may come down sideways and all your clothes will be soaked through.
~Lily
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

All good advice, but sorry, I can't resist..........

RAIN IN SO CAL!
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Will Kalman wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:I always bring a large plastic storage box to rain events to put stuff in.
And get the kind with a one-piece lid, not the kind with hinges and "doors" on the top that will let water in!

We learned that lesson the hard way.... :roll:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I'm really hoping we get great rainfall in the foothills and mountains. But I'm also hoping its not stormy at El Toro just wet.

I told Robert he might run in the rain Saturday. He lit up like I've never seen in. Here's a kid dying to play in the rain.

I went to Walmart and picked up some rain supplies today. Need to figure out the 2ltr trick on an air filter cover for the kart.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

The key is to get golf umbrellas (double canopy). I use umbrellas in the sun, too - helps keep my indoor asian color.

It's also good to make friends w/ ppl who have enclosed trailers.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

While driving up the 5 to work this morning, the sun broke through the clouds behind me for a bit. Up ahead the full arc of a rainbow appeared....with one leg headed right down into our track at El Toro! I take that as a very good sign for the weekend! :thumbup:

Dibs on the pot of gold if anyone finds one out there.

Thanks for all the advice...looking forward to a fun weekend!

r.g.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Randy Gonzalez wrote:Dibs on the pot of gold if anyone finds one out there.
Great Park planning commission already took it. Didn't leave any.

Jay W
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Randy Gonzalez wrote:Dibs on the pot of gold if anyone finds one out there. r.g.
Rainbows are actually complete circles, you just don't often have the correct perspective to see the whole thing. :computer: