10/12/08 Guldstrand's Octoberfest Championship

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

10/12/08 Guldstrand's Octoberfest Championship

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Don't forget to pre-register people. It's GRA so the course is likely to have a lot of wahoo factor (Tom (tm)) and Cal Poly's makin burgers on site.

http://tinyurl.com/3grwda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Aaron Goldsmith on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: 10/12/08 Guldstrand's Octoberfest Championship

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

>>This will be a three-run event, if possible, for both Primary and X-runs.

Would someone from GRA care to explain how it wouldn't be a three-run event? Or should it say that it will be a four-run event if possible? :?:
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote: It's GRA so the course
Oh joy, straights connected by U-turns.
Bob Beamesderfer

Eric Clements wrote:
Gary Thomason will be pleased by any lack of slaloms. :D
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Woo hoo!! Finally a course where I might actually trophy in Moby Dick! She ain't much for transitions, but she goes like a bat outta hell out of the corners and on the straights.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Gary Thomason
Car#: 0

Post by Gary Thomason »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Eric Clements wrote:
Amusing. Interesting how things morph over time. Believe me, I am not a fan of u-turns followed by straights as a major theme. My only complaint concerning slaloms is that they should represent a part of a balanced and thoughtful course design, and not represent the majority of what's happening out there (as many recent designs in SOCAL have been). If anyone cares (which I doubt), imho, every course should have 6-10 slalom cones - and not 32 as happened with a not too long ago ProSolo course in the area.

BTW, you might be interested to know that the East course at Nationals had fully 21 slalom cones on it....I did OK, but that doesn't make it right :roll:
GT
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Gary Thomason wrote:BTW, you might be interested to know that the East course at Nationals had fully 21 slalom cones on it....I did OK, but that doesn't make it right :roll:

My freshly torn rotator cuff felt at least 10 of those 21 east course slalom cones. My opiate addiction will be partially Karen Babb's fault.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Aaron Goldsmith

Gary Thomason wrote: BTW, you might be interested to know that the East course at Nationals had fully 21 slalom cones on it....I did OK, but that doesn't make it right :roll:
I did poorly, and that does make it wrong. :D
Bob Beamesderfer

Gary Thomason wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Amusing. Interesting how things morph over time. Believe me, I am not a fan of u-turns followed by straights as a major theme. My only complaint concerning slaloms is that they should represent a part of a balanced and thoughtful course design, and not represent the majority of what's happening out there (as many recent designs in SOCAL have been). If anyone cares (which I doubt), imho, every course should have 6-10 slalom cones - and not 32 as happened with a not too long ago ProSolo course in the area.

BTW, you might be interested to know that the East course at Nationals had fully 21 slalom cones on it....I did OK, but that doesn't make it right :roll:
It was a joke, Gary. I never assumed that because you didn't like a slalom on one course it meant you didn't like them at all.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Obviously, balancing the elements in a course design should always be a primary goal. Not only is it a better drive, but its more fair as a course with a dominant element type is going to make the competition more car dependent. I was really disappointed by the East course at Nats this year. Obviously, I knew I wouldn't be able to drive it one handed. I shouldn't have tried. I literally was in tears coming off the first lap. And I was thinking how wrong it was to have a course that was 80% slaloms. Atleast the cone intensity kept me ahead of a bunch of people. I shouldn't have been able to beat anybody.

The straight away sweeper straight away jabs at GRA are jokes. I've never encountered a course like that at their events. But I do think they sometimes are too dependent on big sweepers as the dominant theme.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:... But I do think they sometimes are too dependent on big HP...
Fixed that for you. :lol:
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

j/k. Funny thing is, my little wimmpy Miata has always done well in GRA events! Looking forward to this weekend!!!
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Bill Schenker wrote:j/k. Funny thing is, my cute Miata has always done well in GRA events! Looking forward to this weekend!!!
Fixed that for you Bill.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Bill Schenker wrote:j/k. Funny thing is, my little wimmpy Miata has always done well in GRA events! Looking forward to this weekend!!!
I remember hearing you spin tires in 3rd gear on lot 8. Of course you do well on GRA courses.

Jay W
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Mike Simanyi wrote:j/k. Funny thing is, my totally gay, cheater PAX Miata has always done well in GRA events! Looking forward to this weekend!!!
Fixed that for you Mike.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

j/k. Funny thing is, u r all a bunch of a$$es! Looking forward to this weekend!!!
Fixed it for all of you.

:lol:
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Bill, you omitted "smart".
Aaron Goldsmith

Mike Simanyi wrote:Bill, you omitted "smart".
I'm not sure he did...
Gary Thomason
Car#: 0

Post by Gary Thomason »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:

It was a joke, Gary. I never assumed that because you didn't like a slalom on one course it meant you didn't like them at all.
I did say it was amusing..........

I also thought it was topical. The sweeper is a slowly disappearing feature of autox in general, steadily being replaced by more and more transitional elements. Just my opinion, but I personally prefer racing that includes some corners, and the bigger and faster the better :thumbup:
GT
Earl Merz
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

Is there at all a possibility of early runs at the GRA event? I will not know untill Friday what my next week work schedule is. I may have to start work Sunday evening. I wouldn't be a good thing to be late for your first day of work...
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Gary Thomason wrote: I did say it was amusing..........

I also thought it was topical. The sweeper is a slowly disappearing feature of autox in general, steadily being replaced by more and more transitional elements. Just my opinion, but I personally prefer racing that includes some corners, and the bigger and faster the better :thumbup:
The finish sweeper on the West course (assuming my internal compass isn't all screwed up) was absolutely fantastic. Increasing - and huge - radius with a little "gotcha" just before the finish if you didn't drive it just right, it really rewarded the right line and aggression.

Mike
Bob Beamesderfer

Gary Thomason wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:

I did say it was amusing..........

It's all good as long as it isn't some sea of cones. :thumbup:
Aaron Goldsmith

Earl Merz wrote:Is there at all a possibility of early runs at the GRA event? I will not know untill Friday what my next week work schedule is. I may have to start work Sunday evening. I wouldn't be a good thing to be late for your first day of work...
I've done it before, email your competitors in class and make sure it's ok with them since they're the ones who will care. Then talk to the event folks directly and make sure it's ok with them.
Earl Merz
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Earl Merz wrote:Is there at all a possibility of early runs at the GRA event? I will not know untill Friday what my next week work schedule is. I may have to start work Sunday evening. I wouldn't be a good thing to be late for your first day of work...
I've done it before, email your competitors in class and make sure it's ok with them since they're the ones who will care. Then talk to the event folks directly and make sure it's ok with them.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that. I just didn't see it on the flyer and thought I would ask.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)