Pro Solo Information! Very Important if You're New to Autox!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Re: Pro Solo Information! Very Important if You're New to Au

Post by KJ Christopher »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Kyle O'Rourke wrote: I run CST locally but I think my car would fall under EP nationally because of some of the modification done to the vehicle. I don't think anyone has signed up for EP yet for ProSolo either (nor would my car do too well in that class).
Well there's good news / bad news with the EP classing...
You don't need 5 cars in EP to have a class, as all Prepared class cars run in an indexed class (R2) at ProSolo's. We have enough local Prepared class cars, making class should not be an issue. Being competitive... well only one person wins any given class, and if Kesel is there, not to stroke his ego... it's an uphill battle for anyone else in prepared.

Not the class winner? Everyone else falls in somewhere behind them. So in that sense, you will have plenty of company no matter what class you drive, EP or some Street class.
R2 usually has a good class. Between the Zusts, Ellam, Bjoin, Stanley, John Edwards and Pat McBride, fun times. Kiesel runs in R1 with the rest of us Mod guys.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
MrHugo

Post by MrHugo »

I have been to a handful of casual autox event w/ street tire. Not serious. I still cannot differentiate with the different format such as, championships events, prosolo, solo2, etc.. I don't even know what I participated in before. All I know is I had three timed runs, and fun runs afterwards for $2 each.

So the prosolo is just a one time event, or there are many prosolo event along the year. Do you have to attend all the prosolo events to consider an award if you do win the class? I don't have a competitive car to win it all but just want to know.

I am interested in attending this Prosolo event but I don't know which car should I take. Stock 2103 I4 Auto TSX wagon? or 92 NSX. I want to take the TSX but afraid the auto won't do fun. If I take NSX, I will probably need exhaust silencers because my car is loud. There are dba restrictions right?

Thanks in advance.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

MrHugo wrote:I have been to a handful of casual autox event w/ street tire. Not serious. I still cannot differentiate with the different format such as, championships events, prosolo, solo2, etc.. I don't even know what I participated in before. All I know is I had three timed runs, and fun runs afterwards for $2 each.

So the prosolo is just a one time event, or there are many prosolo event along the year. Do you have to attend all the prosolo events to consider an award if you do win the class? I don't have a competitive car to win it all but just want to know.
Championship is what most regions call their regional championship series events for local year end award., 3 or 4 runs. ProSolo is a unique SCCA National level event that travels around the country, we get one every year, there's a couple more on the west coast. As an individual event it's fun and you can even win money or contingency prizes. You can also earn points and potentially go to the Finale in Nebraska. Solo2 was the previous brand name for autocross by the SCCA, now called just Solo.

I am interested in attending this Prosolo event but I don't know which car should I take. Stock 2103 I4 Auto TSX wagon? or 92 NSX. I want to take the TSX but afraid the auto won't do fun. If I take NSX, I will probably need exhaust silencers because my car is loud. There are dba restrictions right?
The NSX would certainly be more fun. There is an SCCCA noise restriction, but it's 100dba so it's pretty loud. Only place locally that you'd have a issue is San Diego Region which is 94 due to local restrictions.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

The 2015 rules are now posted. You can see them here.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
George Schilling
Club Representative

This just in.

Dateline Lakewood - Tom Berry, Chairman or the El Toro Pro Solo, has just made the following announcement regarding Friday's activities.

First, along with the usual practice starts, there will be a "no work" Test n Tune" on site from 12 pm to 4 pm. Although the cost has yet to be determined, per run cost should be very close to that of a standard CSCC practice. Work will not be required. Tickets for individual runs may be purchased on site.

Second, The party must go on. Despite the fact that many regions will be eliminating their welcome parties due to cuts in funding, that won't be the case at the El Toro Pro. Be prepared for great food as usual. Food and drink will be available from 5-7 PM. Courses will be open for walking starting at 6 pm.

So, get there early and plan on spending the day with us.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

George Schilling wrote:First, along with the usual practice starts, there will be a "no work" Test n Tune" on site from 12 pm to 4 pm. Although the cost has yet to be determined, per run cost should be very close to that of a standard CSCC practice. Work will not be required. Tickets for individual runs may be purchased on site.
Yep, that'll be my que.

CaClub has asked the JayCom Services to host this Test & Tune and we're going to do our best to make a lasting impression. Just $10/3 runs and NO WORK!

See the other thread for a few more details and exclimations!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8473#p103765

Jay W
sweltman
Car#: 370

Post by sweltman »

George and all...So excited about this ProSolo. I had a great time at the regional in El Toro earlier in March. This will be my first ProSolo and fortunately, I had the resources and encouragement to sign up for this in early March from a few other drivers I met at El Toro. (Thank you Adam T...)

So, is Friday a 'must' show day? I plan on being there Sat and Sun, but no idea how this works (I was at the earlier March event but this is a lot bigger and a lot different). I hadn't planned on being there Friday, not knowing what to expect (work and all).

How is safety work assigned?

Also, I anticipate I'll be out-driven a lot, but that's fine. I am not the fastest in class (probably at the bottom of STU) but I'll be there with the hope to learn more and have some fun.

Thanks again!
Steve Weltman
(310)480-3121 (M)
steve@steveweltman.com
g37s sedan
STU
Jayson Woodruff

sweltman wrote:George and all...So excited about this ProSolo. I had a great time at the regional in El Toro earlier in March. This will be my first ProSolo and fortunately, I had the resources and encouragement to sign up for this in early March from a few other drivers I met at El Toro. (Thank you Adam T...)

So, is Friday a 'must' show day? I plan on being there Sat and Sun, but no idea how this works (I was at the earlier March event but this is a lot bigger and a lot different). I hadn't planned on being there Friday, not knowing what to expect (work and all).

How is safety work assigned?

Also, I anticipate I'll be out-driven a lot, but that's fine. I am not the fastest in class (probably at the bottom of STU) but I'll be there with the hope to learn more and have some fun.

Thanks again!
Friday is not required, but very, very much recommended. I'd say literally 95% show up Friday. You can register, tech, get required stickers on, etc stress free on Friday. There's also the test & tune (small-ish practice couse set up) and practice starts that will help you tune into the weekend's flow. Really, REALLY try to make the practice starts, otherwise you might toss half your weekend runs figuring out the tree. Race day moves very fast and it would be very stressful to have to do everything on Saturday.

Safety is a licenced position for verteran workers.

Jay W
sweltman

Post by sweltman »

Jay...Thank you for the clarifications! Also thank you for clarifying about the safety workers...I meant it as the humble corner observer, nothing more. I am just new at this and really enjoying the company of like minded gearheads.

I will double-down on Friday. I have a 1/2 day so I can leave work about 1pm (El Segundo, about 90-ish minutes North if I'm lucky).

Also, do I run my numbers? I am 443 for regionals but I am not sure how ProSolo works for my numbers.

Once again, I am so floored to be treated as well regardless of my experience level. I'll be sure to be as welcoming to other new folks (well, any people really).

Best Regards..
Steve Weltman :D
Steve Weltman
(310)480-3121 (M)
steve@steveweltman.com
g37s sedan
STU
George Schilling
Club Representative

sweltman wrote:Jay...Thank you for the clarifications! Also thank you for clarifying about the safety workers...I meant it as the humble corner observer, nothing more. I am just new at this and really enjoying the company of like minded gearheads.

I will double-down on Friday. I have a 1/2 day so I can leave work about 1pm (El Segundo, about 90-ish minutes North if I'm lucky).

Also, do I run my numbers? I am 443 for regionals but I am not sure how ProSolo works for my numbers.

Once again, I am so floored to be treated as well regardless of my experience level. I'll be sure to be as welcoming to other new folks (well, any people really).

Best Regards..
Steve Weltman :D
When you register, the available number will be displayed based on your class. For one driver, one car, you will select a two digit number. In a co-driver situation, the second driver uses the same two digit number preceded by a one, ie 66 & 166. You will need to provide your own numbers and class letters.

There is a lot to do on Friday. I'd suggest getting there as early as possible. Between check-in, registration, welcome party, practice starts, and practice course, I'm thinking you will feel rushed with you current plan.
Jayson Woodruff

sweltman wrote:Also, do I run my numbers? I am 443 for regionals but I am not sure how ProSolo works for my numbers.
You're shown as #1 in the entry list:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... 623BDB84FC

You self assigned when you registered.

And just a little clarify on George, you can select 1 digit numbers as well, as you have. The typical rule for national events is 1-99 for first driver +100 for second driver, and numbers can duplicate in different classes (i.e. 99 will exist in many different classes). Most regional events, including ours, allows 3 digit numbers and no duplication across the event.

Jay W
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Hi Steve,

As a first-time participant in a ProSolo I strongly suggest that you consider the Evo School's Hole Shot: http://www.evoschool.com/shop/index.php ... tail&p=570. As a new driver, learning the ropes at National events can be daunting, but double that for ProSolos, since the format is unique to solo. The first ProSolo I did, I took the Hole Shot course and it made me feel really comfortable with what was going on so I could worry about driving rather than looking like an idiot because I didn't know what was going on. I think that some practice starts are included, so the cost of the course is almost paid for right there.

See you this weekend!

Kurt
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Stephen Strand
Car#: 519

Post by Stephen Strand »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Hi Steve,

As a first-time participant in a ProSolo I strongly suggest that you consider the Evo School's Hole Shot: http://www.evoschool.com/shop/index.php ... tail&p=570. As a new driver, learning the ropes at National events can be daunting, but double that for ProSolos, since the format is unique to solo. The first ProSolo I did, I took the Hole Shot course and it made me feel really comfortable with what was going on so I could worry about driving rather than looking like an idiot because I didn't know what was going on. I think that some practice starts are included, so the cost of the course is almost paid for right there.

See you this weekend!

Kurt
Kurt this will be my first Pro Solo as well but I have a doctors appointment with my pregnant wife right when the school is going on, so it is a no go for me. Will the novice meeting on Friday evening cover all of these things?
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Stephen Strand wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:Hi Steve,

See you this weekend!

Kurt
Kurt this will be my first Pro Solo as well but I have a doctors appointment with my pregnant wife right when the school is going on, so it is a no go for me. Will the novice meeting on Friday evening cover all of these things?
It'll probably cover some of it, but if you want to come find me, I'd be happy to give you a rundown. Leonard could also probably help, if he's doing the pro. But I'll be around until probably 7 or so. And I'd be happy to go on some practice starts with you as well. I'm by no means an expert at the christmas tree, but at least I can show you how to make a mediocre start and not red light or stall :lol:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Kurt Rahn wrote: It'll probably cover some of it, but if you want to come find me, I'd be happy to give you a rundown. Leonard could also probably help, if he's doing the pro. But I'll be around until probably 7 or so. And I'd be happy to go on some practice starts with you as well. I'm by no means an expert at the christmas tree, but at least I can show you how to make a mediocre start and not red light or stall :lol:
I can't make it Friday, but I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Stephen Strand
Car#: 519

Post by Stephen Strand »

Sounds good Kurt! I'll do my best to find you :D

Also the offer to co-drive my Focus at a local event is always there for you.
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Stephen Strand wrote:Sounds good Kurt! I'll do my best to find you :D

Also the offer to co-drive my Focus at a local event is always there for you.
Sounds good! I'm in a black Mini Cooper S with the license TYT SQEZ. I'm sort of hard to miss :D
==============
sweltman

Post by sweltman »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
sweltman wrote:Also, do I run my numbers? I am 443 for regionals but I am not sure how ProSolo works for my numbers.
You're shown as #1 in the entry list:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... 623BDB84FC

You self assigned when you registered. :o :roll: [Yup, that was me...]

And just a little clarify on George, you can select 1 digit numbers as well, as you have. The typical rule for national events is 1-99 for first driver +100 for second driver, and numbers can duplicate in different classes (i.e. 99 will exist in many different classes). Most regional events, including ours, allows 3 digit numbers and no duplication across the event. [Now you tell me...I should have read the small print].

Jay W
Jay, thank you for the response.
GAK! Oh well... So much for low-key. I will look for a place to make some magnetic numbers now.
Also, I thought you were talking to me about the hole-shot school. I signed up and I look forward to learning about this type of racing. No matter what, I'll be smiling, enjoying the thrill of abusing my high performance car, legally.

Stephen... Congrats to you both on the new member of the family (which, IMHO is a lot more important than this Pro Solo pre-day).
Steve Weltman
(310)480-3121 (M)
steve@steveweltman.com
g37s sedan
STU
George Schilling
Club Representative

Information in the original post has been updated to the 2016 Pro Solo. Can an administrator please make this thread a sticky please.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Actually if you go back, 2013 was the 1st... Last ProSolo at El Toro.

But who's counting.

We've been on borrowed time, unfortunately this is the 1st time activity on the old base actually looks like were on thin ice.
Dennis Healy
Car#: 42

Post by Dennis Healy »

anybody ever buy E85 from the pearson on n. bristol near the site? or have a recommendation close by? trying to avoid lugging my own jugs down with me..
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 16

Post by Mike Yanase »

Dennis Healy wrote:anybody ever buy E85 from the pearson on n. bristol near the site? or have a recommendation close by? trying to avoid lugging my own jugs down with me..
I haven't been to the site on Bristol.

Last year, we used to get E85 at the location listed below:
16990 Beach Blvd
Huntington Beach, CA 92647

It is not a trailer friendly location, so keep that in mind.

We will filled up there plenty of times last year with our reader consistently reading between 81-84.
Dennis Healy
Car#: 42

Post by Dennis Healy »

Mike Yanase wrote:
Dennis Healy wrote:anybody ever buy E85 from the pearson on n. bristol near the site? or have a recommendation close by? trying to avoid lugging my own jugs down with me..
I haven't been to the site on Bristol.

Last year, we used to get E85 at the location listed below:
16990 Beach Blvd

We will filled up there plenty of times last year with our reader consistently reading between 81-84.
thanks for the tip - that's on my way from where we're staying, i'll check it out!
Jayson Woodruff

Mike Yanase wrote:Last year, we used to get E85 at the location listed below:
16990 Beach Blvd

Here's an identical G&M station with E85:
15971 Goldenwest Street

I "Assume" they get their fuel from the same truck since it's just a few miles away from Yanase's spot. But this street, station and freeway ramp is WAY less busy and I'd say more trailer friendly than the Beach Blvd station. Just don't go around 7-9am on Saturday due to neighboring swap meet.

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative

Good new for those hoping for a test n tune at the Pro Solo. On Friday, we will have just that. Beginning at 11am and running until 3pm, you can enjoy some practice runs prior to your practice starts and welcome dinner.

For the paltry sum of one Jackson, otherwise known as a twenty-banger, a twomp, or a double sawbuck, you'll enjoy four runs on our specially prepared practice course. Forty bucks will get you eight runs, etc., etc. Time is the only limit to the fun you'll have.

Be sure to get there early and let the fun begin!