Free WiFi!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Free WiFi!

Post by Rick Brown »

We are now using a new hot spot device at events to give us internet access for live timing. This device, called Karma Go, in addition to providing us with internet access can also let up to 7 others connect to the internet and get 100mb of free data for trying it out. Only an email address is required, no credit card, to setup an account. The side benefit to the region is we also get 100mb credited to our account every time someone does this. The reason this device/service was chosen was primarily that the data purchased never expires and there are no monthly fees. With our once a month type of usage this was the ideal way to go. What you will see when looking for Wifi is "Free WiFi by Karma". When you connect, you will get a sign up screen.

If this device or service is something you might be interested in, use this link to find out more and save $10 if you want to purchase one: https://yourkarma.com/invite/rick947756. Data prices are $14 for 1GB, $59 for 5GB and $99 For 10GB. They seem to have periodic sales where you get double data, like right now through the end of the month.
Last edited by Rick Brown on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Re: Free WiFi!

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

check your link!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:check your link!
Fixed now. Thanks Steve.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

So how do you connect it to the Solo network?

I'm still kind of struggling with my Axware set up. In the past, with one Axware computer, I simply tethered my iphone via USB. Worked great as the hard wire was reliable and kept my phone charged. But reception in Glen Helen was sketchy.

Now I've upgraded to use mutli computers with axware, but the router I have specificaly only wants "Android" devices for tethering. I thought you guys had a similar router. So I bought a Samsung tablet for dual use personal/business, but the reception where my iphone is <33% is nill on the tablet.

Report back how the device works for you. I might even ask if we can try it out at Glen helen one of these upcoming events.

Jay W
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:So how do you connect it to the Solo network?

I'm still kind of struggling with my Axware set up. In the past, with one Axware computer, I simply tethered my iphone via USB. Worked great as the hard wire was reliable and kept my phone charged. But reception in Glen Helen was sketchy.

Now I've upgraded to use mutli computers with axware, but the router I have specificaly only wants "Android" devices for tethering. I thought you guys had a similar router. So I bought a Samsung tablet for dual use personal/business, but the reception where my iphone is <33% is nill on the tablet.

Report back how the device works for you. I might even ask if we can try it out at Glen helen one of these upcoming events.

Jay W
The router we have can connect wirelessly to a hot spot. It is a Cradlepoint MBR95 (has been replaced with the MBR1200, which appears to function the same but of course is more expensive). They have a function called WiFi as WAN which lets it connect wirelessly to a hotspot or even another wireless router. The Karma is like a phone, no ethernet connection to connect a router to, and it's micro USB is just for charging. I have tested the Karma at home with our router and the timing computer and it seems to work great. Was at a friend's house when her TWC internet went down, had the karma with me. We were able to connect her phone and her laptop with a good signal and decent speed. It uses the Sprint network which has good coverage at El Toro and Fontana, and looks like there is good coverage around Glen Helen according to their map.