Apr 15-17 West Coast RallyCross National Chall, Ridgecrest

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Apr 15-17 West Coast RallyCross National Chall, Ridgecrest

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

April 15-17 West Coast RallyCross National Challenge, Ridgecrest

The West Coast National Challenge is Coming to Ridgecrest!
When: April 15-17, 2016

Where: Desert Empire Fair, aka Ridgecrest. 520 S Richmond Rd., Ridgecrest, Ca 93555

Why: Because as a region, we’re awesome and have earned it.

Who: YOU dummy!

What: The West Coast National Challenge RallyCross is a National level RallyCross event (as oppose to our typical regional events). This means more prizes, more prestige and with that more competition. We’ve hosted National Challenge events for the past several years to great success, but starting this year the national office has changed the concept of National Challenge to reduce the number of them from 8 to just 3 then give those three much more national support. This year’s National challenge will feature professional equipment and personnel coming all the way from Topeka to help us put on the highest quality RallyCross California has ever seen.

Here’s a quick summary, but read the details!
Friday Test & Tune
Friday Tech and Registration
Have proper numbers and letters (please no tape or window chalk)
No walk up registration or changes on Saturday
Saturday morning class inspection
2 sessions of runs on Saturday
1 run session Sunday

Regional Web Page:
http://www.CalClubRallyX.com

Event Registration:
http://www.scca.com/events/1981856-2016 ... -challenge

FAQ and Discussions:
http://www.dirally.com/forums/showthrea ... Ridgecrest

Jay W
Stephen Strand
Club: CASOC
Car#: 519

Re: Apr 15-17 West Coast RallyCross National Chall, Ridgecre

Post by Stephen Strand »

Jay,

I haven't done rallycross in a long time and so I forget, can people co-drive a car and how does that work? Is it like autocross with a multidriver grid section?
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Stephen Strand wrote:Jay,

I haven't done rallycross in a long time and so I forget, can people co-drive a car and how does that work? Is it like autocross with a multidriver grid section?
Yep, with a couple caveats.

1.) Regionally, we require you to constantly swap drivers (regional solo lets 2-driver's run in what every order they want amounts themselves). This helps eliminate changing course advantages/disadvantages that is common in RX.

2.) This threads particular event is a National event, so there's some stricter rules than "Just swap as fast as you can".

Jay W
Stephen Strand

Post by Stephen Strand »

Good to know, thanks!
Jayson Woodruff wrote: Yep, with a couple caveats.

1.) Regionally, we require you to constantly swap drivers (regional solo lets 2-driver's run in what every order they want amounts themselves). This helps eliminate changing course advantages/disadvantages that is common in RX.

2.) This threads particular event is a National event, so there's some stricter rules than "Just swap as fast as you can".

Jay W
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I think we're on the same page :lol:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Stephen Strand

Post by Stephen Strand »

Missed out on the one car and am not finding the right one yet lol :?
Kurt Rahn wrote:
I think we're on the same page :lol:
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

To answer the specifics of your question, yes, it is somewhat like in autox. The grid guy will position the multidriver car in an outside lane and the drivers will swap back and forth each run. We do run in an order, but some allowance is made for the practicalities of swapping drivers. One pretty firm rule, every driver completes a first run before anyone starts a second, etc. Courses typically start off wet and dry throughout the session so we want everyone to compete on a level playing field.

What kind of car, or what class are you looking for?
Stephen Strand

Post by Stephen Strand »

Bill Martin wrote:
To answer the specifics of your question, yes, it is somewhat like in autox. The grid guy will position the multidriver car in an outside lane and the drivers will swap back and forth each run. We do run in an order, but some allowance is made for the practicalities of swapping drivers. One pretty firm rule, every driver completes a first run before anyone starts a second, etc. Courses typically start off wet and dry throughout the session so we want everyone to compete on a level playing field.

What kind of car, or what class are you looking for?
Thanks for the specifics Bill! What do you run these days? Back in 07/08 you had a Sentra right? I remember seeing you at events.

The first event I ran was October 07 and there was a yellow TE27 Corolla there that I fell in love with. I promised myself I would eventually build something similar. So I'm looking for early 70's coupes/small stuff. Corolla TE2X, Datsun 1200/710 types, BMW 2002/1600, or anything similar.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Heh...I'm actually back to the Sentra. I ran it a few years in stock class and then moved on to AWD. But I wasn't able to sell the Sentra and it was such a hoot I did a little wrenching on it and it's back for Prepared Front now. Took it to Glen Helen a couple weeks ago, but it had not aged well during it's multi-year storage so I wound up running my WRX. Hopefully all's well now and I have it entered in the WCNC.

Be aware that although SCCA provides for separate classes for front and rear 2WD, Jay's events use a condensed class structure and if you pick up a RWD, you may wind up running against the FWD's (except in mod). Given the nature of rallyx, that's not an impossible task, but at least an uphill struggle.
Stephen Strand

Post by Stephen Strand »

Well hopefully the Sentra can be ready to go in the future then, if I remember right it did pretty well in the past.

Thanks for the tips, as for rallycross I won't be driving to win so if the car isn't competitive it won't be a big deal to me. It'll still be fun :mrgreen:
Bill Martin wrote:Heh...I'm actually back to the Sentra. I ran it a few years in stock class and then moved on to AWD. But I wasn't able to sell the Sentra and it was such a hoot I did a little wrenching on it and it's back for Prepared Front now. Took it to Glen Helen a couple weeks ago, but it had not aged well during it's multi-year storage so I wound up running my WRX. Hopefully all's well now and I have it entered in the WCNC.

Be aware that although SCCA provides for separate classes for front and rear 2WD, Jay's events use a condensed class structure and if you pick up a RWD, you may wind up running against the FWD's (except in mod). Given the nature of rallyx, that's not an impossible task, but at least an uphill struggle.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Stephen Strand wrote:Well hopefully the Sentra can be ready to go in the future then, if I remember right it did pretty well in the past.

Thanks for the tips, as for rallycross I won't be driving to win so if the car isn't competitive it won't be a big deal to me. It'll still be fun :mrgreen:
^^^ Just looking for some good, dirty fun!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.