August 20 TNT Request

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 16

August 20 TNT Request

Post by Mike Yanase »

What would be the necessary procedure to get this to happen?

I would like to volunteer to design the course. Hopefully that is enough for step 1 :D
Mike Nakata

Re: August 20 TNT Request

Post by Mike Nakata »

KJ...

Can we make this happen....I would really appreciate the opportunity an extra course for testing would provide....as nationals looms near....and few other opportunities are available....

Thanks,
Mike
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

I've been discussing with the regional officers. We need to have a safety steward present at the TNT course. Would also need someone there to manage the course.

If these positions are filled from the general practice population, it may force us to move from the 5 group to a 4 group form format (to have adequate course coverage), and that would suck from a length of work session point of view.

There is the possibility that one could convince a couple people not in the practice to come out and fill these roles, such that it doesn't impact the worker pool. Or something in the middle, so we're note taking 8-10 people out of the worker pool.

And yes, this is a shift from prior years, where "go play nice" was deemed sufficient. Earlier this year, we had an experienced volunteer who set up and ran the course without actually being in the practice, which made it real easy to incorporate into Saturday. However, even looking back on that, we think it is prudent to have a safety steward there, given the distance between the main and TNT course.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Kevin Pao

Post by Kevin Pao »

KJ, would it be possible to have a TnT course where there isn't any workers to pick up the cones? If the driver hits the cones, the driver go back out to pick it up and reset the course. This way there isn't any need to take workers from the main course.

I agree that there should still be a dedicated SSS there to oversee the TnT course.
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!

Post by Mike Yanase »

Kevin expressed the same feelings about how we implement a "shag your own cone" worker coverage for the course.
I highly doubt that we would have any space to run more than 1 car at a time on course, so I don't see that as much of a problem. It's not like there is a set amount of runs that we are promising to people, so having a bit of downtime between runs if the course gets destroyed shouldn't lead to any issues.

The only request that I would have to make this work is having the 2nd SSS pulled from the worker pool. This only subtracts one additional worker from the pool instead of the forecast of 8-10 you had stated earlier.

I think if we can make this possible and allow the "shag your own cone" policy, then hopefully we can get the go ahead!
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Kevin Pao wrote:KJ, would it be possible to have a TnT course where there isn't any workers to pick up the cones? If the driver hits the cones, the driver go back out to pick it up and reset the course. This way there isn't any need to take workers from the main course.

I agree that there should still be a dedicated SSS there to oversee the TnT course.
The intent isn't to have actual TNT course workers - has to be a shag your own cone deal. Just one person to run the course ("starter") and a safety steward as assigned worker positions. That's two people, times either 4 or 5 run groups, which is 8 - 10 people.
kj
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!

Post by Mike Yanase »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Kevin Pao wrote:KJ, would it be possible to have a TnT course where there isn't any workers to pick up the cones? If the driver hits the cones, the driver go back out to pick it up and reset the course. This way there isn't any need to take workers from the main course.

The intent isn't to have actual TNT course workers - has to be a shag your own cone deal. Just one person to run the course ("starter") and a safety steward as assigned worker positions. That's two people, times either 4 or 5 run groups, which is 8 - 10 people.
We can have a SCNAX member work as the starter on top of their standard work assignment for the practice.
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

KJ Christopher wrote:

KJ,

I think what Mike is requesting for is just 1 additional work exemption spot for the 2nd SSS position.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

If y'all can cover starter position, we can spare one worker position to cover SSS for the day. Would need to have a back-up ready for when the SSS runs (either course).
Mike Yanase wrote:We can have a SCNAX member work as the starter on top of their standard work assignment for the practice.
Sean Fenstermacher wrote:I think what Mike is requesting for is just 1 additional work exemption spot for the 2nd SSS position.
kj
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

Thanks KJ!!

I can be the 2nd SSS if no one has stepped forward yet.
Kevin Pao

Post by Kevin Pao »

Hi KJ,

Since I didn't register for the practice, I can be the "starter" for the TnT for the whole day if that will get us a TnT. Will that help?
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Were you thinking a practice course or a slalom & skid pad?
Steve O'Blenes

Post by Steve O'Blenes »

If we do fet to have a test course set up may i recommend a slalom on one side with offsets on rhe other side with a coned sweeper connecting the two sections for up and back along the runway. This way we can actually get a much better test to cover multiple aspects of a course and not just one.

Steve
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Steve O'Blenes wrote:If we do fet to have a test course set up may i recommend a slalom on one side with offsets on rhe other side with a coned sweeper connecting the two sections for up and back along the runway. This way we can actually get a much better test to cover multiple aspects of a course and not just one.

Steve
Are you also volunteering to help design course? I'm sure Mike would appreciate the help.
Steve O'Blenes

Post by Steve O'Blenes »

Is he doing the main course. Would love to help if I am available. Will it be set up Friday or Saturday morning?