ProSolo LA 2009?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Jason Flores
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 886

ProSolo LA 2009?

Post by Jason Flores »

Any one have any insight on when this will be. Maybe a proposed date?..also any signs of an SD tour again?

TIA, jason (trying to draft up contracts for our financially struggling sponsors for 2009)
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: ProSolo LA 2009?

Post by Rick Brown »

Well, we basically set aside March for those events, looking to get two Champs in February. But we won't know for a bit on what dates we get at AAA Speedway and SD doesn't schedule until January. Plus we have to see what SCCA wants.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Birdy told me Mar 27-29 if we can get it, 20-22 if not. Tour probably on the opposite weekend.

Jay W
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Jason,
Thats one smart birdy.
Either March 20-22th
or March 27-29th is what we are trying for.
Papa SCCA wants the tour first... but that may not be possible... so we may have the Pro first
Dates might be confirmed as soon as this month ( Nov. )
Jayson Woodruff

BTW Tom, AMCI is checking into the conflict. Can you send me you phone # again: woodrufj@yahoo.com
Tom Berry wrote: or March 27-29th is what we are trying for.
Tom Berry
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Jason,
Cell # is 909-641-1123
Tom
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Tom Berry wrote:Jason,
Papa SCCA wants the tour first...
Alright I'll ask.. why do they care about the order?
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Tom Berry wrote:Jason,
Papa SCCA wants the tour first...
Alright I'll ask.. why do they care about the order?
In the past cases where a Pro is before a Tour the car count is lower than normal at the Pro.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:In the past cases where a Pro is before a Tour the car count is lower than normal at the Pro.
Thanks Jason, that makes sense. My confusion was not reading the comment properly, I saw "Papa" and immediately thought CalClub, as that's the normal context in which the term is used on this board.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Thats interesting...

Breakage?
Fear of breakage?
Last minute decide to stay on?

Sorry, the business prof in me just gets curious about what drives markets. Any ideas?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

My guess is most auto-xers do Tours, then they see a "Pro" afterwards and are curious and want to do it the following weekend. I'm using "auto-xers" as not the "hard-core" who will do both regardless of the order. There are a few that LOVE "Pros" and only do that instead of Tours.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:My guess is most auto-xers do Tours, then they see a "Pro" afterwards and are curious want to do it the following weekend. I'm using "auto-xers" as not the "hard-core" who will do both regardless of the order. There are a few that LOVE "Pros" and only do that instead of Tours.
Pro's are certainly the best bang for the buck out there. ;)
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:My guess is most auto-xers do Tours, then they see a "Pro" afterwards and are curious want to do it the following weekend. I'm using "auto-xers" as not the "hard-core" who will do both regardless of the order. There are a few that LOVE "Pros" and only do that instead of Tours.
Pro's are certainly the best bang for the buck out there. ;)
Hmmm.... Now if we could get the equipment, this split season idea with the long season being a regular autocross and the short season being a ProSolo format would definitely get my vote and participation!
Jason Isley BS RX8

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Thats interesting...

Breakage?
Fear of breakage?
Last minute decide to stay on?

Sorry, the business prof in me just gets curious about what drives markets. Any ideas?
I typically hear the concern of breakage from newbies, the ones who skip the event. I think it is a legitimate concern with a lot of cars. We have seen a few people have issues at the Pro Finale and have to scramble to fix things for natls. You would think with a week between it would be less of an issue, but if swapping weekends removes the concern it is an easy fix.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Now if we could get the equipment
I haven't done a ProSolo yet so excuse my ignorance...what additional equipment would we need?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
I haven't done a ProSolo yet so excuse my ignorance...what additional equipment would we need?
additional set of timing lights, and a staging tree? i don't know what else you need.
Jayson Woodruff

Jeff Shyu wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:
additional set of timing lights, and a staging tree? i don't know what else you need.
Cash :-).

Jay W
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Jeff Shyu wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:
Cash :-).

Jay W
So Jay, can you give us an estimate of what it would cost to finish what you started to supply us with a working system? If people were in favor of this idea, it obviously wouldn't start until after Nationals next year so there's plenty of time to build and test at some practices. I really do think a 3 or 4 event ProSolo Series would be fun.

On the other hand, I wonder if Topeka would rent or lend us their system for that period between Nationals and the first Pro which is always us anyway. Although I really was not impressed with their software system the last time I used it.
Jayson Woodruff

Time is really what's needed. I think I've got most of the pieces, but a lot of it has been canbalized over time for other time burglar projects.

What would be really helpful is if someone could program some micro chips for me.

My latest idea rev would have the softwear control the tree start and probably the passing of lap times, but have electric hardware (or a programed microchip to save huge component counts) control the light sequence. I bought some micro chip starter kits and started to learn to program, but never got into actually doing it.

I'd like to rebuild the tree. Maybe just better and more exact support struture, but I'd keep all the light fixtures just like they are.

Software is bare bones right now. It tells the tree to 'go', but doesn't deal with timing.

Jay W
Marshall Grice
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

http://www.arduino.cc/

those things are pretty awesome in terms of easy of use and plug-n-playability. they're cheap too.
Greg Peng
Car#: 908

Post by Greg Peng »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:What would be really helpful is if someone could program some micro chips for me.

My latest idea rev would have the softwear control the tree start and probably the passing of lap times, but have electric hardware (or a programed microchip to save huge component counts) control the light sequence. I bought some micro chip starter kits and started to learn to program, but never got into actually doing it.

I could give the programming a try if the development is in C, VHDL, or something similar. I've been itching to work on a new DIY project.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Greg Peng wrote:VHDL
I literally jumped back in time to my EE classes at USC when I read that! :)