Novice school for 2017?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Kai Hur
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 114

Novice school for 2017?

Post by Kai Hur »

Will there be a novice school offered this year? Or did I miss it already?
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Re: Novice school for 2017?

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

The board has been discussing the possibility of a novice school for several months now, but as of yet, no club has stepped up to chair the event (not that there necessarily has to be a specific club, I'm sure any small group of dedicated people or a joint club effort could put the event together). I'd be willing to help put it together, but we'd need a little more interest that just hasn't surfaced at the board meetings yet.

The idea floated so far was to piggy back on a SCCA ACS track event so we perhaps could save some costs.

If we have some interest from our members in helping put this together, please share it (either here, or directly with me next weekend), and I'll be happy to share it with the board. :thumbup:
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Adam Tarnoff
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

I am willing to assist in any way I can.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Novice class attendance is down this season from last and I'm not really hearing a lot of demand for one outside of the Board. That's not to say it wouldn't be attended if we decide to hold one, though, but we would have to start planning this month if we want to host one later this year.

One problem with the novice school is scheduling. Because of the way we have the Novice class rules structured with only three days of autocross experience allowed, someone can't really run the novice school (2 days if you include the practice day) and more than one other day if they want to run Novice class the next season. A school would make more sense at the beginning of the season rather than the end, but that's probably not a very feasible option unfortunately, especially with the Match Tour and ProSolo coming early in the season to SoCal.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'd instruct.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.