December Events Open for Registration - New Format for Sunday Championship

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Lauren Kane Porta

December Events Open for Registration - New Format for Sunday Championship

Post by Lauren Kane Porta »

The December events are now open for registration.

Saturday Practice: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/go ... -ii-294356
Sunday Event: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/au ... -ii-268968

We are running the December event with a modified format. We will have 2 grids, A and B, and will be swapping workers while the course is hot. Our goal is to run everyone in the morning and have time left over for those who want to do fun runs. Fun runs will be split up into 2 groups and will work/run. Fun runs will be free, but require help packing up the cones in the motor home (fun runs are contingent upon a minimum of 10 people participating).

Here are some of the changes:

Schedule (we will be running all competition in the morning)
  • 7:00 am - Registration and tech open, course open for walking.
    8:00 am - Novice course walk with Leonard Cachola
    8:00 am - Course closes for walking
    8:20 am - MANDATORY DRIVERS MEETING
    8:30 am - First car out / first worker group out
    10:00 am - Reg/tech close
4 timed runs are included with your registration
You may purchase an additional 4 runs (called X-runs) onsite; subject to availability; must be taken in your regular run group
Opportunity for fun runs following competition
Work assignment is required
Free expert instruction is available for novices or those looking for some extra help

Fees
  • SCCA member online advance registration - $35
    SCCA member day-of registration on site - $45
    Non-SCCA member online advance registration - $50
    Non-SCCA member day-of registration on site - $60
    Junior Karts - $15
    X-Runs - $25 (must be purchased at the event)
No obligation! Autocross Sunday online registration fees are fully refundable should you not attend the event. You may pay online, but your payment will not be charged until the Wednesday before the event. If for any reason you are unable to attend Autocross Sunday and have prepaid for the event, you may request a refund by emailing our treasurer at Treasurer@solo2.com. Please note we are going cash-less starting in 2018.
Justin Erickson
Car#: 846

Re: December Events Open for Registration - New Format for Sunday Championship

Post by Justin Erickson »

I'm assuming yes atm, but does the $50 non member registration include the temporary membership? I ask because my SCCA card expired several months ago and was planning to get back in next month as well as bring another racer with me.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough
- Mario Andretti
David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

A few questions:

The FJ karts run when?

Two driver cars will not get X runs in their run group, but can they in another group?

Are we done with "TO"?

How are we going to administer the "X" runs based on "no cash payment"?

Thanks.

David
Lauren Kane Porta

Justin Erickson wrote:I'm assuming yes atm, but does the $50 non member registration include the temporary membership? I ask because my SCCA card expired several months ago and was planning to get back in next month as well as bring another racer with me.
Correct.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

David Barrish wrote:A few questions:

The FJ karts run when?
First at the moment, but Steve Ekstrand had some other ideas that may work to better. I'll talk again with him this weekend. His other Idea was to put them in a separate grid just like we do now by the motorhome and have them run like nationals with time inbetween for gearing changes and discussion about the course.
David Barrish wrote:Two driver cars will not get X runs in their run group, but can they in another group?
Correct, they can take x-runs when they are not running or working and after their regular runs. With 4 total groups this may be more challenging, but hopefully we will have enough people at the end of the day to make a work/run group to do fun runs.
David Barrish wrote:Are we done with "TO"?
No, you can still register TO, if you like. they may be limited or placed in a particular run group as needed to balance.
David Barrish wrote:How are we going to administer the "X" runs based on "no cash payment"?
For December we will take all payments, however for 2018 cash and checks will not accepted, but we do accept all major credit/debit cards.
Chad-1stGen
Club: CASOC
Car#: 268

Post by Chad-1stGen »

Cool idea for December! Looking forward to it.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

(fun runs are contingent upon a minimum of 10 people participating)
I hope that's 10 per group, otherwise there would not be enough workers. I realize as "fun runs" we don't need as many, but 5 wouldn't cut it, 10 is half what we usually have as a minimum.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Rick Brown wrote:(fun runs are contingent upon a minimum of 10 people participating)
I hope that's 10 per group, otherwise there would not be enough workers. I realize as "fun runs" we don't need as many, but 5 wouldn't cut it, 10 is half what we usually have as a minimum.
These are fun runs, we can cover most of the cones, if it's 5 workers than people will have to accept the cones may stay down if they hit them.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Anthony Porta wrote: First at the moment, but Steve Ekstrand had some other ideas that may work to better. I'll talk again with him this weekend. His other Idea was to put them in a separate grid just like we do now by the motorhome and have them run like nationals with time inbetween for gearing changes and discussion about the course.

I don't think its worth the downsides of doing this. I was just pointing out that a good percentage of regions and National events do run the kids with the cars. I'd rather not in this region.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Anthony Porta wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:(fun runs are contingent upon a minimum of 10 people participating)
These are fun runs, we can cover most of the cones, if it's 5 workers than people will have to accept the cones may stay down if they hit them.
But you still need grid, gate, timing/announcer, starter, and it was mentioned previously, time slips. Not about cones as much as safety, IMHO.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Run/Work Order. Whether there is a lunch break or not will depend on when we actually finish the competition run groups and how many sign up for fun runs. Note there is a break between running and working, the intention being to be able to swap workers on the fly.
Attachments
12-3RunOrder.pdf
(339.55 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Anytime you run without on course workers, we should have a plan in place for a vehicle/scooter that can quickly get a fire bottle out to an on course incident.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

From the November event.. post

No obligation! Autocross Sunday Online and Early Registration fees are fully refundable should you not attend the event.
You may pay online or at the event with cash, check, or credit card. If for any reason you are unable to attend Autocross Sunday and have prepaid for the event, you may request a refund by emailing our treasurer at anthony@solo2.com. Please note we are going cash-less starting in 2018.

Apparently 2018 starts in Dec., as the option to pay at the event IS not an option, if you also wish to register w/o the "late" fees.

Were getting less and less friendly VARY fast. I suspect our numbers are going to drop even farther than they have... as most walk ups from my perspective standing in line reg., seam to pay cash.

While not personally in this boat... anyone with credit issues who can't have a credit card will now be persona-non-grata.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

I don't know anyone under the age of 16 who doesn't have a debit card Craig. I don't see how this would be an issue at all.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

rmgibson wrote:I don't know anyone under the age of 16 who doesn't have a debit card Craig. I don't see how this would be an issue at all.
It's not about whether you have a credit/debit card, it's whether you want to use it, for whatever reason. 17 people paid with cash today, with only about 100 entries, and all but one were points card holders.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

It will be interesting to see fun runs... as the money collector stands there with a devise to swipe a card for each run.
- Hopefully are card services acct is on a straight % bases, and not a % plus fee per transaction.
- May also increase our % rates, as it will pull down the per transaction avg.

If were going cashless... it would be pointless to refuse at Reg only to accept it later in the day, as I'm assuming the point is to avoid the trip to the bank/ATM to make the deposit.
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Craig Naylor wrote:It will be interesting to see fun runs... as the money collector stands there with a devise to swipe a card for each run.
- Hopefully are card services acct is on a straight % bases, and not a % plus fee per transaction.
- May also increase our % rates, as it will pull down the per transaction avg.

If were going cashless... it would be pointless to refuse at Reg only to accept it later in the day, as I'm assuming the point is to avoid the trip to the bank/ATM to make the deposit.
Plenty of other clubs run a pay per fun run scheme and I don't think we are trying to be one of them (see Nov. 12 @ 3:00 pm). Just the fact that we run efficient practice/champ weekends is a leaps and bounds more driver friendly than many of the nations autocross clubs. Drive a few hours up north and you're looking at 3 runs per day and a slight chance of paying $5 to run again if certain organizing members didn't clog up the grid getting 4 driver cars through a single session.

If going cashless eases some of the operation constraints for our volunteer treasurers (i.e. keeping track of, transporting, etc. of the cash) I think its a worthwhile change. Just my $.02
Lauren Kane Porta

Going cash-less in 2018 should not be a surprise ... it has been stated in the event flyers on MSR since June.
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Craig Naylor wrote:From the November event.. post

No obligation! Autocross Sunday Online and Early Registration fees are fully refundable should you not attend the event.
You may pay online or at the event with cash, check, or credit card. If for any reason you are unable to attend Autocross Sunday and have prepaid for the event, you may request a refund by emailing our treasurer at anthony@solo2.com. Please note we are going cash-less starting in 2018.

Apparently 2018 starts in Dec., as the option to pay at the event IS not an option, if you also wish to register w/o the "late" fees.

Were getting less and less friendly VARY fast. I suspect our numbers are going to drop even farther than they have... as most walk ups from my perspective standing in line reg., seam to pay cash.

While not personally in this boat... anyone with credit issues who can't have a credit card will now be persona-non-grata.

I emailed you days ago when you first contacted the event registrar about the change. As I said in the email to you, you can pre-register and the payment is required but DEFERED. We will charge the card on file the Friday before the event giving people plenty of time to cancel should their cars not be running or something comes up last minute and they can't make the event. If something comes up even later and they cant make it, that person could still email me for a refund. That is a very friendly refund policy.

I think you are making assumptions about people who don't have credit cards being not allowed to attend. Our registration crew bends over backwards for each attendee and it shows with their near perfect survey scores. They do an amazing job and they will continue to do that and help people along with registration. If someone has less than $35 in their checking account and no card connected to it, then encourage them to reach out the racing community so we can find a way to help them keep racing.

Having the people who have pre-registered be 100% paid when Rick imports the information into Axware our timing system the night before the event, significantly reduces the work load on our registration volunteers and allows them to check in people more quickly.

To everyone:
If someone would like a walk-through at the December event on how to use Motorsportreg to pre-register please email me at Anthony at solo2.com.
If you typically walk up to register please email me at the above address and share what obstacles you have that prevent you from pre-registering online.
If you choose not to have any credit or debt cards please email me so I can show you how to use reloadable cash cards from several retailers like wal-mart to meet your needs.
If you to talk with someone who isnt on the forums and doesnt use email please contact me with their phone number and I will reach out that way.

I will continue to do everything I can to help people work with anything I can to help them continue to race as changes occur that help make it easier for our hard working volunteers.
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Craig Naylor wrote:It will be interesting to see fun runs... as the money collector stands there with a devise to swipe a card for each run..
Uh no, fun runs at the end of the December event are FREE.
Neelu Yeoh
Car#: 887

Post by Neelu Yeoh »

Rick Brown wrote: But you still need grid, gate, timing/announcer, starter, and it was mentioned previously, time slips. Not about cones as much as safety, IMHO.
Rick, can you please explain to me why you think we need these positions for fun runs? I understand the need for gate and at least one worker per corner (so at least four) but I do not understand the need for the other positions: grid, timing/announcer, starter and time slips. We did fun runs at the end of the event this past weekend and we only had workers covering each corner and then some. We did not have an announcer, grid worker or starter. I watched cars pull up to the line when they were ready and start after a point that Randy told them to. Personally, I feel like having enough workers to cover each corner will take care of the safety aspect, because then we will have workers spread out throughout the course with red flags and fire extinguishers nearby.
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

From an SSS prospective..... I would caution against going too light on key positions in fun runs. Gate is mandatory as is an SSS being there. But there needs to be a "Voice of God" position that has an active overview, and control, of what's going on. That could be a person in the motorhome doing announce/timing or even a starter, but there should be one position during fun runs that's just overseeing what's happening. Replacing cones is the lowest priority. You could run it like a test-n-tune course with no course workers if there's one person overseeing the activity. As the course gets too messy, send a "sweep" car out to replace cones. While the vast majority are responsible adults, we have to keep in mind the possible new person with an adrenalin addiction. :) :lol: :think:
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

I agree Neelu, not all the positions may be needed. But this last weekend you were dealing with only a few cars and I believe all experienced drivers. In December it's likely there will be many more since we are pulling from the entire pool of entries and it will be earlier in the day. So instead of one line of cars there could be two or three (which also means there should be more workers available). To me, the starter is one of the most important safety positions, he is entrusted with sending cars only when it is safe to do so, which involves more than just starting at a prescribed gap. The starter could possibly be that overview position Tom referred to, but someone in timing to watch from a better view point and watch the clock (announcing not really needed, but could add to the "fun" part of fun runs) I think would be good. The other thing is maintaining our professional image, not just a bunch of people driving around a course without much (apparent) supervision. Yes, the vast majority of us are responsible people and I know there were certainly several this weekend keeping a eye on things.
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Rick Brown wrote:I agree Neelu, not all the positions may be needed. But this last weekend you were dealing with only a few cars and I believe all experienced drivers. In December it's likely there will be many more since we are pulling from the entire pool of entries and it will be earlier in the day. So instead of one line of cars there could be two or three (which also means there should be more workers available). To me, the starter is one of the most important safety positions, he is entrusted with sending cars only when it is safe to do so, which involves more than just starting at a prescribed gap. The starter could possibly be that overview position Tom referred to, but someone in timing to watch from a better view point and watch the clock (announcing not really needed, but could add to the "fun" part of fun runs) I think would be good. The other thing is maintaining our professional image, not just a bunch of people driving around a course without much (apparent) supervision. Yes, the vast majority of us are responsible people and I know there were certainly several this weekend keeping a eye on things.
It sounds like we need to start with a minimum of one person in the trailer who can act as a master radio/announcer to all those on course and in grid along with a starter who can work in conjunction with them to send cars. At minimum then we'd need about 6 workers which should be doable as long as a SSS is open to sticking around to supervise.

Neelu, maybe you could draft up a Fun Run specific worker sheet and we can have people volunteer for positions early in the day so we don't have to rush to find people just before starting. It would also have the benefit of pre-vetting volunteers to make sure they know what they're doing and are properly instructed for this different format.
Neelu Yeoh
Car#: 887

Post by Neelu Yeoh »

rmgibson wrote: It sounds like we need to start with a minimum of one person in the trailer who can act as a master radio/announcer to all those on course and in grid along with a starter who can work in conjunction with them to send cars. At minimum then we'd need about 6 workers which should be doable as long as a SSS is open to sticking around to supervise.

Neelu, maybe you could draft up a Fun Run specific worker sheet and we can have people volunteer for positions early in the day so we don't have to rush to find people just before starting. It would also have the benefit of pre-vetting volunteers to make sure they know what they're doing and are properly instructed for this different format.
Sounds good! I'll start a worker sheet.