WTB competition tires.

Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Daryl Slawnikowski
Club: PSCC
Car#: 156

WTB competition tires.

Post by Daryl Slawnikowski »

Would like to buy a used set of 4 competition tires for our ’79 Scirocco. I have 13” and 14” stock rims. Doug, what size would you recommend? Otherwise what would be a good choice for Street/solo tire for our Cars? I presently have 185/70/13 Michelin All Season on the White Roc and BF Goodrich Comp T/A R1 205/60Z/R13 on the green Roc. I’ll be using the R1 at the practice event for the first time. Since we have two ’79 Scirocco’s I’m looking for solo tires for both. All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Taylor Kurtz
Car#: 0

Re: WTB competition tires.

Post by Taylor Kurtz »

i remember the michelin all seasons my car came with from the factory. ditched them after about 5,000 miles. any summer tire will be a substantial upgrade, but i have no idea what kind of tires work well on VW's.
STX 2007 Honda Civic Si-
HFP suspension, progress rear sway, SPC camber kit, carbing strut bar, modified factory intake, custom cat back exhuast.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Go to THE TIRE RACK and do a search for 14" tires. Probably not the greatest selection. We have that problem finding the best tires in 15"

Are you looking for R tires, or just really good street tires? Probably don't want to start off on R tires ... although there are Not Maximum Grade R tires ... that would typically not be competitive in a R tire class. Used more for Track Days.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

This is a handy tool to help find matching tire diameters, etc., especially if you can Plus your tire size. Make sure you know what you can do with your wheel size depending on what class you're going to run in.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html