Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Parting out - 1999 Miata

Post by George Schilling »

As many of you know, my 99 Miata has passed on to car heaven :cry: , but the remains are still in my garage. The car is/was in perfect condition so it was a sad day when a tree jumped in the way of the front bumper causing the airbags to deploy, the windscreen to break, and generally wreak havoc with the front of the car. The interior, engine, transmission, and most body parts, including both front fenders, are still in wonderful shape and waiting for their next assignment. I also have numerous sets of wheels/tires for the car that are also for sale. Let me know what you need.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: Parting out - 1999 Miata

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Which wheels?

We might like a front left fender ... what do they run for? Does it include the fender liner?

I put in the radiator, thermostat, and some of the hoses you sold to us already.
Gary Mellor

Post by Gary Mellor »

I am interested in what wheels/tires you have.
Also the convertable top/frame if it will fit 1991.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Mako, I'll get a price for you tomorrow and send it via email. What happened to Karen's fender?

Gary, I'll do an inventory of wheels/tires tomorrow and post it here with asking prices. I don't think the top will fit, but I'll check that out also.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Reijo Silvennoinen
Car#: 60

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

I think the tops are the same up until recently (if then even).....except some of the early ones had plastic rear windows....and different qualities from different suppliers....but fit was the same. But check in case I"m wrong!

Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Reijo Silvennoinen wrote:I think the tops are the same up until recently (if then even).....except some of the early ones had plastic rear windows....and different qualities from different suppliers....but fit was the same. But check in case I"m wrong!

Reijo
Looks like you'd have to replace both the frame and the top for it to fit. http://www.miata.net/garage/compatibility.html I remember seeing more comprehensive instructions showing what modifications were necessary when moving the tops from an NB to an NA, but I can't find that right now.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Thomas Smith
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Reijo Silvennoinen wrote:.....except some of the early ones had plastic rear windows....and different qualities from different suppliers....
Actually, all NA Miatas from 1990 thru 1997 had plastic rear windows originally. Its only the later NB 1999 thru 2005 that have glass. I'm not sure if the newer tops will drop right in to an early car. I think the header latch is slightly different but the answer will be at http://forum.miata.net/vb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thomas Smith
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

I put a top (complete with frame and covering) from a 99 miata onto my 94 miata. The glass window was a significant improvement over the plastic one. Also, replacing the entire frame and covering is way easier than replacing just the covering, I've done both.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Post by Casey Brier »

Gary, If you dont/cant get a frame, I have one I pulled out of my 90. the top is in pretty goo shape, but the plasti window is SHOT! (though guessing you are asking for the frame, you are planing to re cover it anyways?)
If your intrested, send me a PM and I can bring it to the next race. :)
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Christine Berry wrote:I put a top (complete with frame and covering) from a 99 miata onto my 94 miata. The glass window was a significant improvement over the plastic one. Also, replacing the entire frame and covering is way easier than replacing just the covering, I've done both.
Pulling the top and frame together is pretty simple. The hardest part is removing the 12-14 10mm nuts that hold the top and rain rail in place, and that's only because it's awkward getting to some of them.

And your rain rail is probably cracked, so getting a new one is a good idea.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Can I please have dibs on the window motors/regulators? I need foglight lenses too.

It's for Shauna's car.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Sebastian Rios wrote:Can I please have dibs on the window motors/regulators? I need foglight lenses too.

It's for Shauna's car.
The regulators are yours. No fog lamp cover on the base model.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Rear brake rotors and calipers?
Gary Mellor

Post by Gary Mellor »

My '91 has a frame but the plastic window is shot and the top has a few small holes. I looked at an NB top at a junkyard a while back and it appeared to be slightly different to accomodate the glass window. I believe I read somewhere that the NB top can be used on the NA as long as you also swap the frame so that would be my plan.
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Gary Mellor wrote:My '91 has a frame but the plastic window is shot and the top has a few small holes. I looked at an NB top at a junkyard a while back and it appeared to be slightly different to accomodate the glass window. I believe I read somewhere that the NB top can be used on the NA as long as you also swap the frame so that would be my plan.
I helped a friend install an NB top on an NA Miata. We swapped everything.
The 17? bolts that hold the rear of the top to the car are horrible, especially if you have fat arms and a 6point jungle gym roll bar.
Bob Beamesderfer

MICHAEL Palero wrote:
The 17? bolts that hold the rear of the top to the car are horrible, especially if you have fat arms and a 6point jungle gym roll bar.
Been there and bashed my head on that. :oops:
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

The key to that is remove both seats before trying to get to those 10mm nuts that hold on the rain rail. and yes theres a ton of those suckers.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Bob Beamesderfer

Christine Berry wrote:The key to that is remove both seats before trying to get to those 10mm nuts that hold on the rain rail. and yes theres a ton of those suckers.
Doesn't help with hitting head on roll bar. But I don't have to worry about that anymore. No soft top, no roll bar. I do have one of those 10mm nuts that fell in around the gas tank when I had the fuel pump cover off. It rolls back and forth in sharp turns, taunting me. No way to fix it without pulling the tank, which isn't worth it. :oops:
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Post by Casey Brier »

George, I sent you an E-mail. :)
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

So how do we get these parts? I can bring my tools if need be.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Sorry about not answering PMs. I've been unusually busy so far this week. I'll check on pricing as soon as I have time. Or if you know what the price should be on what you want, just get over here and we'll pull the parts. I check this site daily, so the best way to make sure I see your message is to PM me via this site. Thanks everyone.
William Chen

Post by William Chen »

George, which transmission and rear end does it have ?