SOLD FS: CS/SK2 Mazda MX-5 MS-R (Burbank)

Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Vikram Kirby
Car#: 703

SOLD FS: CS/SK2 Mazda MX-5 MS-R (Burbank)

Post by Vikram Kirby »

***Sold it today, Saturday Sept 10th***

I'm traveling too much to even justify owning a car at this point, so mine is up for sale:
2007 Mazda MX-5 MS-R (C Stock/SK2 car)
21,5xx miles

I'm assuming anyone looking at this site probably knows what the MS-R package is, but if not, check out a link here:
http://www.insideline.com/mazda/mx-5-mi ... -ms-r.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am the second owner, and purchased it from a guy on the SCCAForums in March 2009. At the time it had about 10,000 miles and had been trailered to all the events up in the Pacific NW region (as well as Nationals.) He purchased it new in 2008 (it's a Sport model) and with his codriver converted it to the full MS-R spec. (Though it still has the leather steering wheel with the cruise control buttons, and A/C.)

I have not made any modifications to the car other than replacing the stock stereo headunit (and running through a few sets of tires.)
As it sits now it is on Koni yellow shocks, with the Mazda RX-8 sport front swaybar installed, Goodwin Roadstersport Race single exhaust, with Kosei 17x7 K1 TS grey wheels and Dunlop Direzza Star Specs (215/45R17) with about 35 runs on them (lots of life left, still sticky.)

Lots of parts included with the sale:
Extra set of 17x7 Kosei K1 TS silver finish wheels
Three extra front swaybars (original, a different RX-8 bar, and the MS-R package bar)
Original shocks, springs, diff
Original 16" wheels (original tires with about 10K miles still mounted)
Original factory headunit
Full Mazda factory service manual (the big blue binder)
Adapter kit to make the steering wheel buttons for the radio work with the new head unit (discovered I didn't use or miss them with the new radio, so I didn't install it.)

Known issues: the paint has suffered from cones & rocks in a few spots (esp. behind front wheels), and every now and again the transmission gives a grind going into second. It's done this since the day I bought it, although it will go for months at a time without giving any trouble (I can't remember the last time it happened to me--maybe two months ago?) I took it to the dealer and had them check the shifter forks, but they couldn't ever get it to give them trouble so I don't think they took me too seriously. If you are going to race this heavily, I'd probably stick some money aside for a rebuilt transmission in a few seasons (although I have not experienced the trouble increasing or getting worse in the 2+ years and 10K miles I've owned the car, so I could be wrong on that.)

A piece of tire also bounced up on the hood on the way back from San Diego a few months ago and left a nasty 2" scratch on the hood. I haven't taken it to a body shop to get it fixed but the new owner may want to. There is a detail pic at the bottom showing the scratch.

Documented service history and receipts for all the parts for the MS-R conversion.

Let me just say that this car is AWESOME to drive. You can put it right at the limit and it's just fun, and fast! Far better drivers than myself (Leonard, Max, etc) have taken a few runs in anger in this car and always have nice things to say afterwards (and their times usually blow mine away....) The fastest MS-R at Nationals this year (2nd in C Stock to Ryan Buetzer) was still faster than the S2000's in B Stock (see times here: http://www.scca.com/popup/raceresult.as ... &file=1354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
In the hands of a good driver these cars are great, and pretty easy on tires (200+ laps with just rotation after each event.)

Just had it detailed and changed out the oil (Mobil 1) and air filter (K&N) about 1400 miles ago.

Asking $13,200.
Have clear title in my name. Plates are current, paid through March 2012.

Not really interested in trades, but do have a softspot for E36 M3's.

Last edited by Vikram Kirby on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: FS: CS/SK2 Mazda MX-5 MS-R (Burbank)

Post by Max Hayter »

This is a rare and absolutely fantastic car at a bargain price. Someone local should buy this immediately. I could not believe how well it handled for a stock car.

Good luck with the sale Vikram.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Great price, great car. :thumbup:
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

I've driven this car and it is an absolute hoot to go around the course in.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Drool ... this MUST go to someone that appreciates the MS-R package!
Mack Tsang
Car#: 188

Post by Mack Tsang »

Beautiful color, GLWS! I wish I can get it...
San Francisco Region
FSP #188 - Mazda3
Vikram Kirby
Car#: 703

Re: SOLD FS: CS/SK2 Mazda MX-5 MS-R (Burbank)

Post by Vikram Kirby »

Thanks for the well wishing and good comments. The car got sold to a racer (guy up in Utah) so it might still turn up at some Divisional events.

Hoping to catch you guys again at some point (maybe I can buy my way in on a codrive or two.)

:thumbup:
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Vikram Kirby wrote:Thanks for the well wishing and good comments. The car got sold to a racer (guy up in Utah) so it might still turn up at some Divisional events.

Hoping to catch you guys again at some point (maybe I can buy my way in on a codrive or two.)

:thumbup:
Good news, and don't be shy about asking around. Back when I was running the RX8 in SK1, Pete did a couple co-drives with me.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
John Stimson
Club: PSCC
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

It's probably best that I didn't see this before it sold.