FS: XP Corvette. Reduced price. 17k. SOLD.

Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Re: FS: XP Corvette. Reduced price. 17k.

Post by Bill Schenker »

BTW: I think Kurt's post is going to have to go viral....$5.00 Kurt, and it doesn't....
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Gary Thomason
Car#: 0

Post by Gary Thomason »

Kurt, I think you should consider buying it. After driving big power RWD you will never settle for the sad affliction that is FWD again }:)

BTW, even though Berry is the only one old enough to have been around then, I used to race a 1984 GTI, and a turbo Colt that I immediately took to the equivalent of today's SMF. I actually kind of liked the Colt. The GTI was a nice street car, but not much fun on a course.

BTW2, your post about the daughter thing (which I didn't even realize read that way - not sure what that says about George) will do more for Steve's For Sale exposure than anyone could have possibly imagined :shock:
GT
Steve Coe
Club: CASOC
Car#: 75

Post by Steve Coe »

Gary Thomason wrote: BTW, even though Berry is the only one old enough to have been around then, I used to race a 1984 GTI, and a turbo Colt that I immediately took to the equivalent of today's SMF. I actually kind of liked the Colt.
Tom's not the only one who remembers the Colt Gary. I do and I'm sure so does Randy Pobst ;)

Steve
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Gary Thomason wrote: BTW2, your post about the daughter thing (which I didn't even realize read that way - not sure what that says about George) will do more for Steve's For Sale exposure than anyone could have possibly imagined :shock:
Hey, I just read what was written! :lol:

I think there's a setting to enlarge the size of the text. Yep.....here it is. Does this help? :P
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jason Isley BS RX8

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Steve Coe wrote:
Gary Thomason wrote: BTW, even though Berry is the only one old enough to have been around then, I used to race a 1984 GTI, and a turbo Colt that I immediately took to the equivalent of today's SMF. I actually kind of liked the Colt.
Tom's not the only one who remembers the Colt Gary. I do and I'm sure so does Randy Pobst ;)

Steve
I bet I can find a picture of it. }:)
Tom Berry
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Gary Thomason wrote:Kurt, I think you should consider buying it. After driving big power RWD you will never settle for the sad affliction that is FWD again }:)

BTW, even though Berry is the only one old enough to have been around then, I used to race a 1984 GTI, and a turbo Colt that I immediately took to the equivalent of today's SMF. I actually kind of liked the Colt. The GTI was a nice street car, but not much fun on a course.

BTW2, your post about the daughter thing (which I didn't even realize read that way - not sure what that says about George) will do more for Steve's For Sale exposure than anyone could have possibly imagined :shock:
I may be old enough to have been around then... but I wasn't. Unless you raced at the UC Riverside sport car club events back in the late 70's. The first car I remember you in Gary was a Black ESP Camaro, doing battle with John Ames in his white Mustang.
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Tom Berry wrote:
Gary Thomason wrote:Kurt, I think you should consider buying it. After driving big power RWD you will never settle for the sad affliction that is FWD again }:)

I may be old enough to have been around then... but I wasn't. Unless you raced at the UC Riverside sport car club events back in the late 70's. The first car I remember you in Gary was a Black ESP Camaro, doing battle with John Ames in his white Mustang.
Crap.
Now I feel old.
Gary Thomason

Post by Gary Thomason »

Bob, you're not old. But OTOH, I think Steve Coe may have actually invented the sport ;)

Tom, I knew you hadn't seen that car, which is why I phrased it that way. I wasn't autoxing in the late 70's, and didn't know you were?
GT
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

I owned on too. Silver with red interior. The car was unusual in that it had a twin stick. If I remember right, it was a four speed with low range and a high range effectively giving one eight gears from which to choose. Am I remembering this right? Torque steer was a bitch in those early days of front wheel drive cars. As I remember, the colt was no exception. Do you remember Gary, did you ever goof with that twin stick? Seems like it would take away the course dependency issue.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Abbott
Car#: 48

Post by Steve Abbott »

I almost forgot I listed my car for sale on this thread. I can bring the car to the awards party whoever want's it. Better yet, maybe the club should buy it, and give it away for a door prize.
Last edited by Steve Abbott on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Berry

Post by Tom Berry »

I have a great idea. The region buys Steve's vette and we make it the new Trophy Dash Car !! Who remembers that?

And Gary, Waaaay back when I was in college at UCR i saw a flyer posted on campus for UCRSSC that was holding an autocross in one of the parking
lots on campus. Two tiny lots with narrow crossovers between...not safe at all... so my first 10 or so autocrosses were there and I kept the hand written,
mimeographed results. Pulled em out a few years ago and saw some familiar names. Jardine.. Endicott .. Puertes. plus others that I cant remember.
Those were run by the old SCCSCC Southern California Council of Sports Car Clubs.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

George Schilling wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:Oh, I could affford it, but I'd be getting to work and licking up my daughter from school on my 10-speed :lol:
You do what to your daughter? :mrt:
Oh my god, I just re-read that. Talk about your unfortunate typos!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Gary Thomason wrote:After driving big power RWD you will never settle for the sad affliction that is FWD again

In addition to the FWD issues, there's the fact that I'm gravity challenged. Big power has a way of swinging the power/weight ratio more to my advantage in a big hurry.

Unfortunately I'm po', so unless Steve wants to take the $1k I was going to use to upgrade my springs and roll bars to JCW spec, and give me a 10-year loan, I'm not destined for this car. :cry:

BTW, sorry I hijacked your thread, Steve. My original intention was to say that if you have the $17K , your car is hard to beat for the money.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Gary Thomason

Post by Gary Thomason »

George,
Mine was a later car than yours - '86 Turbo with a regular 5-spd trans. I bought it brand new for $9300 - my first new car actually. I ran almost no events in it still stock, and by the time I was done it was very low with what was then considered large wheels and tires, stiff springs, and enough boost to run 14 flat at 100 mph at the strip. I drove it daily and ran it locally in SD events. I don't ever remember running the car in any Cal Club stuff. Torque steer was pretty bad because it made a lot of torque, but much worse was the insanely slow, heavy manual steering at 4 full turns lock to lock. The limiting factor in a tight slalom was my ability to steer fast enough, not grip.

I sold the car to another SD local, D. Brengle, who ran it for many years until it expired one day with well over 100k miles.

Someone needs to buy Steve's car - a true rocket who's speed around a course cannot be duplicated for that price. On Victoracers I ran 1:28's at big Willow in the ASP/SSP Corvette I sold to Tom, and would wager Steve's car would put 2-3 seconds on that :thumbup:
GT
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Tom Berry wrote:UCRSSC that was holding an autocross in one of the parking lots on campus. Two tiny lots with narrow crossovers between...not safe at all...

All depended on what you were driving. I remember running a 455 SuperDuty TransAm there on 7" rims and street tires. It was a lot easier to find the course after I had driven it. :)

Nothing unsafe there (ahem).
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Tom Berry wrote:UCRSSC that was holding an autocross in one of the parking lots on campus. Two tiny lots with narrow crossovers between...not safe at all...
Sounds like when we ran at Cypress College. Small lots with curbs everywhere. Looking back at some of the places we ran in the past, we are seriously spoiled now.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

I've learned more about Gary in Steve's for sale thread than in the past few years of hanging around him. :)
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Tom Berry

Post by Tom Berry »

KJ Christopher wrote:I've learned more about Gary in Steve's for sale thread than in the past few years of hanging around him. :)
Now you need to decide if that is a good thing or not :o
Chris Teague
Car#: 60

Post by Chris Teague »

Tom Berry wrote:I have a great idea. The region buys Steve's vette and we make it the new Trophy Dash Car !! Who remembers that?

And Gary, Waaaay back when I was in college at UCR i saw a flyer posted on campus for UCRSSC that was holding an autocross in one of the parking
lots on campus. Two tiny lots with narrow crossovers between...not safe at all... so my first 10 or so autocrosses were there and I kept the hand written,
mimeographed results. Pulled em out a few years ago and saw some familiar names. Jardine.. Endicott .. Puertes. plus others that I cant remember.
Those were run by the old SCCSCC Southern California Council of Sports Car Clubs.
I ran one event at UCR. Lot's of curbs everywhere.

And I do remember the Trophy Dash Car, so I'm up for using the Vette for that!
Steve Coe
Car#: 75

Post by Steve Coe »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Steve Coe wrote:

Steve
I bet I can find a picture of it. }:)

I'm still waiting for the picture of Gary's colt :)

Steve

spelling fixed, sorry Gary!
Last edited by Steve Coe on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Steve Coe wrote:
I'm still waiting for the picture of Gay's colt :)

Steve
:?

:?
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Gary Thomason

Post by Gary Thomason »

Steve Coe wrote:

I'm still waiting for the picture of Gary's colt :)

Steve

spelling fixed, sorry Gary!
I thought it was pretty funny coming from a guy racing a similar car - minus the turbocharger :king:
GT
Steve Abbott
Car#: 48

Post by Steve Abbott »

One day special. Starting at 8 am to 7 pm Sunday March 10th. Call me at 818 207 (Expired) to find out. Must be a SCCA member.

Steve A.
Last edited by Steve Abbott on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Pl
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Somebody buy this rocket ship, it's gonna take off!

Bump for a good guy good deal.
JB Parker

Post by JB Parker »

by any remote chance this car is still for sale...