Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Supertrapp for Civic

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

Is there a local source for a Supertrapp? Are there alternatives to the Supertrapp that are worth considering? I need to quiet my car down by about 4 dB.

If there isn't anybody local, where should I get the Supertrapp from?

Thanks.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Re: Supertrapp for Civic

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Stephen,

Your civic is loud because the original mufflers/resonators are blown out. As far as I remember you've had the same exhaust system since 2007. You should consider replacing the resonators/mufflers with lightweight options via (coastfab or burns).
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Tom Denham
Club: PSCC
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:Stephen,

Your civic is loud because the original mufflers/resonators are blown out. As far as I remember you've had the same exhaust system since 2007. You should consider replacing the resonators/mufflers with lightweight options via (coastfab or burns).

:thumbup:
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

I suggest a Supertrapp with 1 disc. Try it at the next event, see if it's quiet enough for you.... }:) :mrgreen:
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

+1. Also can clamp an elbow to the end of the muffler, so you can point it to either side.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I thought it was loud because of the Engle 3/4 race cam... }:) }:) }:) }:)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

If you really want a supertrapp, you can get them from Summit or Jegs. But you have to use a lot of disks to keep from affecting the power -- and then they don't silence so well. I've also been a little disappointed in the silencing of my ultra expensive Burns muffler. Best muffler I've ever found for power and quiet is the DynoMax ultraflo with diagonal in/outs. But it's not real light.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Bill Martin wrote:If you really want a supertrapp, you can get them from Summit or Jegs. But you have to use a lot of disks to keep from affecting the power -- and then they don't silence so well. I've also been a little disappointed in the silencing of my ultra expensive Burns muffler. Best muffler I've ever found for power and quiet is the DynoMax ultraflo with diagonal in/outs. But it's not real light.
Bill - when did you last re-pack the Burns? Made a HUGE difference on mine, per the meter and seat of the ear.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Bought the extra quiet model (fat body) for the Lola and it was too loud out of the box (barely). An elbow dropped it 3dB. Another bad for supertrapp -- not real conducive to elbows.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

I run both the "fate" version of a Burns / Coast Fab muffler as well as a smaller version about three feet ahead of that one. The two combined substantially quiet the car vs a single muffler, and they're so light it's still a net win.

Edited to add: and I use the scrubble pack instead of the fiberglass. It eliminates the need to repack periodically.

Mike
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

More anecdotal evidence from my civic with Hytech header and plain tube intake w/ giant cone filter.

Supertrapp no discs = Warned at Lincoln :o

Supertrapp 12 disks = Never warned in SD 8-)

Don't forget that intake noise can be a large part of the problem.
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

I believe it's the same intake I've been running in my Civic for several years. Never had a warning in SD. Only change in 2012 was switching the cat and of course what Jon suggested about the resonators being blown out.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Jesus Saucedo
Car#: 226

Post by Jesus Saucedo »

please keep us/me posted. Im curious as to what you end up doing.

I redid my entire exhaust for my recent smog, using stock exhaust mani, RSR resonator, new cat, and cheap small diameter muffler shop special muffler. Oddly enough, aside from losing power on the top end, it's also fairly loud (for my liking, and for being a stock setup)