Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Marc Leininger
Club: No$
Car#: 411

STS NA8 MIATA BUILD

Post by Marc Leininger »

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving into STS next year with my 96 Miata and wanted to see if anyone is clearing out there garbage of old go fast stuff that might be a bit of help for me. I currently have coil-overs, front sway bar, upgraded brake pads, and 15x7" wheels but that's where the train stops. My Miata is as base as they every came and is missing all of the factory braces underneath the car, so I'm trying to find a some of them. But I'm looking for anything that I can use and I'd rather buy unwanted and used parts before I bought new so let me know if you have anything that's collecting dust and you want to get rid of.

Thank You,
Marc Leininger
Steve Collins
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 799

Re: STS NA8 MIATA BUILD

Post by Steve Collins »

There is a place in North Hollywood called http://www.sportimports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that is a mazda specific wrecking yard. Might be a place to get your missing parts.

Not sure how new to AX you are, but the first 2 things to spend money on are tires and seat-time. Those will take seconds off your times. Everything else just takes tenths. One thing you can do on a Miata "for free" is get the alignment and camber set up properly. It can make the car much more responsive and drivable. When I first got my 92, it had a real issue with snap oversteer. Alignment made that go away. Lots of folks who have or had miatae. Ask around for tire/setup advice.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Are you already signed up with MazdaSpeed? Even if you don't have Mazda racing results you can often join if you can show that you are building a Mazda racer. GREAT parts discounts and in the LA area automatic overnight delivery. Call them up

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/webapp/ ... ogId=10001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marc Leininger

Post by Marc Leininger »

Steve Collins wrote:Not sure how new to AX you are, but the first 2 things to spend money on are tires and seat-time. Those will take seconds off your times. Everything else just takes tenths. One thing you can do on a Miata "for free" is get the alignment and camber set up properly. It can make the car much more responsive and drivable. When I first got my 92, it had a real issue with snap oversteer. Alignment made that go away. Lots of folks who have or had miatae. Ask around for tire/setup advice.
I couldn't agree with you more on the seat time deal. unfortunily I've already got all the time out of my package with that mod :) Now I'm fighting to take off the tenths. I'm going to check out that junk yard for the missing parts for sure. I'm surprised that my car is missing all of those chassis braces, every NA I see has the one under the diff and I got zip!
Mako Koiwai wrote:Are you already signed up with MazdaSpeed? Even if you don't have Mazda racing results you can often join if you can show that you are building a Mazda racer. GREAT parts discounts and in the LA area automatic overnight delivery. Call them up

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/webapp/ ... ogId=10001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the idea Mako I didn't even think about that.
Brian Linn

Post by Brian Linn »

What are you allowed to do? I may have an exhaust* that eliminates the CAT. I also have a Racing Beat intake with cone filter. As I recall, the filter didn't fit my street Miata because of the cruise control.
Parts are in Hermosa Beach.
*Some items may not be legal for use on California public roads.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

28-E90

https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcssto ... 1_1000.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

This may be old information, but years ago I was very dissatisfied with Sports Imports - and others did as well. I highly recommend http://www.projectgla.com/ for used parts. They also have a great selection of new parts when you don't have time to get stuff from MazdaSpeed.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Marc Leininger

Post by Marc Leininger »

Mako Koiwai wrote:28-E90

https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcssto ... 1_1000.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yup that's the one Mako. For one reason or another my car never got one, I looked very closely at the holes for the bolts and where there would be contact metal to metal and I can't see any evidence that one was ever installed on my car. I just signed up for Mazdaspeed yesterday after I saw your post so that's going to help out. Thanks
Bill Schenker wrote: I highly recommend http://www.projectgla.com/ for used parts.

I already ran into the guys at project G, I picked up my front bar from them. Cool peeps
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

My ex Philip Royale '96 STL Miata oddly didn't have one either ... first thing I added to it ... took minutes:

Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Brian Linn wrote:What are you allowed to do? I may have an exhaust* that eliminates the CAT. I also have a Racing Beat intake with cone filter. As I recall, the filter didn't fit my street Miata because of the cruise control.
Parts are in Hermosa Beach.
*Some items may not be legal for use on California public roads.
A race version cat is required for STS, 100 Cell ones are the ticket. Talk to Richard Jung.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Marc Leininger

Post by Marc Leininger »

That's the ticket on the CAT.

I was surprised at how heavy the stock cat is in these cars, I unbolted it when I did the clutch and it dented the EARTH when it fell. Seriously it looks like Chuck Norris :unimpressed: stood in the garage.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I might have some of those chassis bits (Pete L and I just happend to be talking about that part). My beater is about to get strip of anything not necessary, and those look like a good canidate. Do some research on if my '93 parts will cross over, I'll give a pretty good deal.

Jay W
Marc Leininger wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:28-E90

Yup that's the one Mako. For one reason or another my car never got one, I looked very closely at the holes for the bolts and where there would be contact metal to metal and I can't see any evidence that one was ever installed on my car. I just signed up for Mazdaspeed yesterday after I saw your post so that's going to help out. Thanks
Marc Leininger

Post by Marc Leininger »

I was poking around and it seems that the braces will fit my 96 just fine. The story is that the cars built some point before 1993 didn't have mounting tabs and holes for the rear cross member brace but from what I can see my car does indeed have the correct taps on the rear cross member. I'm not sure but if the NB brace is different or not though. So if your brace is from an NA I should be good to go. Let me know what you were thinking on a price and we'll get together. Thanks
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Hmm... Upon further inspection I think I only have the lateral piece of those braces.

Jay W