WTB/Advice: NB Miata Soft Top

Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Curt Thompson
Car#: 303

WTB/Advice: NB Miata Soft Top

Post by Curt Thompson »

Hi everyone, my soft top is almost in tatters at this point, and I'm looking for advice as far as which soft top to buy and where might be a good place to get it installed.

I have a glass window with defroster that's in decent condition, but it's mostly separated from the top and now rests on the roll bar.

Some rough estimates as to cost would be nice too. (I know it's usually not cheap.) Any advice would be appreciated =)

Currently: 1999 Miata (base) Black Top w/Glass & Defroster

Thanks!
1999 Mazda Miata
Pete Loney
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 777

Re: WTB/Advice: NB Miata Soft Top

Post by Pete Loney »

I recently replaced my NA's top with a www.gahh.com(Local Calif. company) brand one and had local shop do the work, grand total of $577

Comes with a 3 year warranty, and zip out back plastic window.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
John Fendel
Club: CASOC
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

I have used Mikes Auto Tops & Upholstery in Mission Viejo for the last 2 tops I put on my 95'.
The last one was cloth with a glass window and defroster and it folds up great, better even than the original top.
He replaced it in 1 day. I think it was about $1200.
Last edited by John Fendel on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

I had mine done at Markel's in Beverly Hills last February. Vinyl top with zip out glass window and defroster. Cost was $850, but it was a going out of business special. Took two business days to get the car done.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Install: Young kid (Ben Giang) on craigslist installed for $210, in my driveway in ~ 1.5 hrs several years ago. I did buy a new rain rail from him, he would only warranty his work if you did so. It was maybe $10 more than the cheapest internet sources. He wanted cash for that, I don't have records as to how much it was.

Top: OEM Tan cloth w/ glass & defroster. Free!
I went to an upholstery shop I was referred to in West Covina to get a quote. They no longer did convertibles. However, they had a top someone ordered, paid for, and never returned to have stalled 3-4 yrs prior to my arrival sitting on a shelf. I could have it for free as long as I promised to take it as is, before they took the time to unburied it. I figured, it was supposed to be "new"... if it had issues, I had a trash can.

If you can find the kid, I'd recommend him.

Even though it's not weight advantageous for the class, I'd pay for a cloth w/ glass again. it's so much nicer than they vinyl w/ plastic window ones.

UPDATE: Just did an craigslist search, he's still advertising: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pt ... 55034.html
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Long story, but I had and occasion to have two after market tops on my S2000 in a period of a month or so. Since I had to replace, I also wanted to upgrade to a canvas style top. First one was branded EZ-ON, second one was a Robbins. No comparison. Robbins was the superior top hands down.

Installation of the Robbins was done by Bud's Top Shop in Signal Hill. Highly recommended.

The first top was installed by Bill's Top Shop, also in Signal Hill. Avoid these guys like the plague.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Curt Thompson
Car#: 303

Post by Curt Thompson »

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I think I'll be grabbing one of those Robbins Cloth+Glass tops and asking that young fellow from Craigslist to do the job most likely.
1999 Mazda Miata