Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Kaustav Acharya

STX E36 325i 4 Door For Sale! $8500 OBO

Post by Kaustav Acharya »

STX E36 325i For Sale! $8500 OBO
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5020312577.html

From the Ad:

I thought I was going to take this car to my grave, but I've actually had a change of heart and as such I'm looking to part ways with this little beast and move on.

TL;DR: Clean Title 1993 E36 325i w/180k miles and handful of goodies including great suspension, wheels, tires, and new VANOS. Passes SMOG! Close $4,000 in maintenance in parts and labor done in November/December 2014 at Oceanside Motorsports & parts acquired by bimmerworld.

BMWCCA - Without a doubt one of the FASTEST 6M/Normally Aspirated Modified cars in San Diego/LA area. With this new setup on good street tires, I've taken 6/8/12 cylinder mod by several seconds on the same course. No doubt in my mind that if the car was driven on proper R-comps, it would be a contender for fastest BMW time of day.

SCCA -- It's taken its' share of wins in STX and DSP class in San Diego. Finished up 2nd and 3rd in DSP class for the year in 2012, 2nd in DSP overall in 2013, finished 2014 as a class winning and 2nd place finish for the year in STX. The ideal buyer would continue the cars' journey perhaps turn it into a dedicated race car. Add in some Bridgestone RE71R's and enjoy tons smiles and a competitive car even today!

The goods:
1993 BMW 325i M50 w/Vanos ~180k miles, cold weather package (heated seats)
Motul fluids in diff and transmission.
Recent oil change with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10W30. Previous oil changes have always been either with Motul 8100X or Liquimoly.
Current Registration.
VANOS Rebuild done at Oceanside Motorsports (OMS)
Alignment done at OMS.

Engine:
AFE CAI Intake
Bav Auto Coil Packs
NGK spark plugs
Valve cover gasket
Dyno tuned to put down 200.1whp at the Dynoshop in Santee, CA (this ran $1700). (The car pulls STRONG through the rev range. The limiter has been left stock to ensure longevity for the motor, but can be reflashed for full race mode. Since the car still did daily driver duty, I needed it to be reliable.(Has lifter tick, but pulls strong as hell)

Cooling: Stock cooling, and coolant flushed 1.5 years ago. Car never has never overheated.

Chasis/Suspension:
AST-4150 Single Adjustable Coilovers (These are the newer style with thicker shock bodies and sturdier as a result). No leaks.
GC Camber plates
Bav Auto Strut tower Brace
Delrin bushings throughout.
Racing Dynamics Sway bars with adjustable end links (front and rear)
Turner Motorsport Adjustable Toe arms (rear),
5" Hyperco Springs 550/500.
Subframe tore the chassis and also blew out the rear shock towers in in 2012 and so I had it repaired ($$$$$$$)
New Bimmerworld Strut Mounted Adjustable Endlinks (12/14)
New front Tie Rod Assemblies and Tie Rod Locking Plates (12/14)

Car is set for race alignment for continuous performance. It's also running extended studs and 17mm lugs for quick swapping of the wheels on race day. Fronts include a 20mm H&R spacer to clear M3 brakes

Brakes:
Bimmerworld E36 M3 front brake upgrade (OEM rotors, PFC Z-Rated Pads, E36 M3 Spindles, E36 M3 calipers, new OEM Hubs, 4 caliper braket bolts, 2 caliper clips, bearing nut dust covers) and new lines. E36 M3 brakes rear's also done. Brakes work fantastic, just needs a bit more travel. This can be solved by putting in a E36 m3 Master cylinder.

Exhaust:
Active Autowerke Gen III cat back exhaust. Car sounds absolutely AWESOME.

Wheels:
17x9 DFORCE LTW5's in flat black with 245/40/17 Dunlop Z2's mounted - ~80 runs.

Lighting:
35W Depo Glass HID's and CCFL Angel Eyes with DDM clear corners front.

Drivetrain:
Stock 5 speed with strong clutch and factory LSD (yes this is a factory BMW limited slip that's not a misprint). New GUIBO with lifetime OMS Warranty.

No E36 is perfect and this was meant to be race car/track slut, so I've detailed the issues with the car, most of which is fairly routine stuff.

The Issues:
HVAC fan doesn't work. . .randomly went out one day and never came back. Since I still had windows, I didn't really bother too much with it, but this will need to get addressed.
When the HVAC, heater always worked, but AC never did. This may need to get looked at in the event that you'd want to have creature comforts.
There is a short in the electrical system the keeps blowing out the fuse that controls the parking lights on the driver side of the car and as such it's also been messing with the brake lights on that side of the car.
Driver side seat heater doesn't work, but passenger side does. If you want to throw buckets in there, this won't bother you, but I wanted to give full disclosure.
Window on the driver side is stuck closed (thanks to short) and the window on passenger side keeps falling off the track because the clip keeps giving out.
Windshield is a bit pitted and should be replaced as while on vacation one year the rear view mirror came off and fell off due to it being -10F visiting family in Lake Tahoe during Christmas 2013.
Driver side door panel has completely broken off and will need to be replaced.
Sunroof is off track and will either need to be replaced or removed with a sunroof delete kit. It doesn't leak.
Could use some paint/wrap/plastidip to give the car a visual refresh.
Interior not in the best of shape, but if you're stripping it out, it's not really an issue.

In Summary:
I realize that this car isn't for everyone. If you want a shiny, pretty, e36 that you can hard park, please keep looking. This was always meant to be race car and driven hard. If you want a car that has a fairly solid base and that you can strip out and make even more epic, then let's talk. I want to see this car go to a good home. I cannot believe the number of times that I've had the "I can't believe that's not a M3" based on the performance result of the car. I love this car, but my car A.D.D. is strong and I've already purchased a 2015 WRX that I'm running now.

The Asking Price
I looked up my invoices of the past few years of owning the car and nearly had a heart attack as these amounted to close to about $20k all said and done, not including the $3500 cost of the actual car when I bought it. I think $8500 obo is good considering the amount of work that's done to it. It's not perfect but this car is a really nice start towards a fantastic build with a lot of the stuff sorted already.

Please feel free to contact me..shoot me a text, or email me.

858-four-four-4-5-one-five-0

Kaustav

More Pics in the link: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5020312577.html